Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet needs a striker - By Andy Naylor

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Poyet needs a striker

GUS Poyet fears he is running out of time to land a striker to turn Albion into Championship promotion contenders.

The Seagulls have gone three games without a goal this season following last night’s 0-0 draw against Cardiff at The Amex.

The transfer window shuts at 11pm a week on Friday and Poyet is no closer to ending his long search for a target man.

He said: “I need a striker. I’ve been asking for the person that is going to put the ball in the net when you have got the chance, for the presence in the box.

“We are not close enough to getting one. We are going to try to make sure we keep performing but the quality, the expensive part, the one that is going to make a difference, is missing and it’s taking too long.

“It’s frustrating. I feel for the players as well, the effort they are putting in, the commitment, the way they are playing and then we are missing that part.

“Macca (Craig Mackail-Smith) is the best he has been for three or four months. We are seeing the best of Nooney (Craig Noone) and we are still not scoring. We need to be positive but at the same time careful, because if it takes too long maybe it’s too late.”

Poyet dismissed reports that Albion have agreed a fee with West Ham for veteran French centre forward Frederic Piquionne.

“We cannot compete,” he said. “I keep seeing clubs buying strikers and bringing players from the Premiership and paying fortunes. We are at another level, that is clear. We will try to do our best but quality is expensive.”

Poyet has ruled out a top six finish unless Albion are successful in their quest to sign a striker, either permanently or on loan.

“We’ve been trying,” he added. “The loans we want to bring are Premiership loans. They are too expensive. I’ve got a maxuimum in there that is difficult. I have been in touch with many clubs but I accept the situation and the budget we’ve got. I’m not crying about it, I’m saying the truth.”

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No mention of Hoskins and CMS together.

Is he admitting the 3.5million he spent isnt the answer.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
As ever I'm taking Poyet's negativity with a pinch of salt.

He will ALWAYS downplay the budget and ALWAYS downplay how we're doing on the striker front.

We WILL get someone in. There are still 8 days to go (with the last 3 days of the window being PROPER BUSY)

Don't. bloody. panic

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
At the end of the day, even at this early stage, we have until next Friday to save our season, snipe if you will but that's the long and short of it, if there's no-one in the squad capable of putting the ball in the net then where will the wins come from?...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Pretty negative stuff from Poyet,if he is to be believed.
We've known for a long time that a striker has been needed and here we are.If you have to pay £2.5 m+ for CMS then what will peanuts get you?Not very much I suggest..........can we even afford to pay the wages a decent loan player would be earning?
I may be sounding negative here,but I see a mediocre loan and nothing coming our way permanently.Hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
At the end of the day, even at this early stage, we have until next Friday to save our season, snipe if you will but that's the long and short of it, if there's no-one in the squad capable of putting the ball in the net then where will the wins come from?...

I tend to agree. It is exactly the same problem that cost us our playoff spot at the end of last season.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
but the budget was set before the season so Gus would have know how much he had to spend at that point. He has improved the back line and keeper and would have known how much was left after that so saying we do not have enough money to sign who we need now.. Should have thought of that at the beginning. That said I believe the comments are a little smokescreen and push to the board to get the ones he wants sorted. At least I want to believe that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We could still be looking at Simon Church. Reading have said that they won't let him go until Jason Roberts is fit and playing ( possible return at the weekend ) Apparently, Church is lined up to go to a Championship club.
Not sure he would be the answer....most Reading fans singularly unimpressed with him.
Fuller to Charlton...DJ Campbell to Bristol C....Barnard to Bournemouth....plenty of striker movement going on at present......just none in our direction.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just because it's reported doesn't mean to say it can be taken literally. We're at the hard bargaining end of the window and a lot of stuff in the media will be fed by both clubs and agents to get a better deal. Not saying that's the case here but I'm still confident we'll land someone ... has to be better than BDB or Vokes. Still feel for Hoskins who looks to have done something mightily wrong

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
When Gus speaks of his need for a Quality striker, I wonder if he understand the detrimental effect it may have on the likes of Toby,Hoskins, etc.. who must feel they may have no future with us at all. I would feel like the manager had absolutely no confidence in my ability and would wonder what the hell i was doing at this club.

Is he basically saying theyre not good enough and should seek employement elsewhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here