Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet linked with, Wolves, West Brom and Aston Villa Job.

damo1971

Jun 21, 2011
I don't disagree. However, what money he has been given he has largely wasted on players he uses little or are useless, and he appears to have lost sight of his original "team" rather than "individuals" ethic he spoke about last year - which served us well. Now every time he speaks it seams that the excuse is lack of money in his Budget!

he has mentioned budget, but I dont remember him using it as an excuse. But it is a fact if you want better players, generally you have to spend more. As for what he has spent the money on, some have been hit and miss and some have possibly not been played as much as I would have liked. But I dont think he has had that many failures in the transfer market.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Poyet linked to three Midlands management jobs - Brighton & Hove Albion - Worthing Herald

I know it's nothing much and it's just speculation but I can't see him joining neither of these sides.

Villa- Could be playing at our level next season.
Wolves- Will be playing at our level.
West Brom- Not a bad side at all but a yoyo team, they've done very well this season though but I can't see Gus leaving us for them.

The pressure at villa would be enormous for Gus according to a villain I know. He said he wouldn't know what hit him after a few defeats. Anyway I hope he doesn't go.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
o good glad someone else did lol......how close to then and now do u think the style of play is?

Hmm,it was along time ago.Let me just say that Mike had the team playing in a way he knew they were technically able to,in order to survive in the old 1st Division,whereas Gus is perhaps trying to 'persuade' players who are not necessarily suited/able to do what he wants to do in the way he wants.He is,I suppose, more willing to try and change things a bit more than Mike,but nevertheless the result can often be seen to be rather negative and hence boring.
A pretty poor answer I am afraid,but let me just say that having just watched the old clips of Wardy and the Albion team in their glory days on the Peter Ward thread,there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about which kind of football I would personally wish to watch.It was fabulous and makes Gus and Mike's footy tepid by comparison(Have to say Mike was the supreme champion of boring and some way ahead of Gus!)
Not allowed to say a word against Gus on many of these threads tho'!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Wolves will target Steve Bruce, West Brom want houghton and will get him even if Birmingham win the play offs, Villa if they get rid of Mcleish will target Gus who will turn them down.Malky Mackay will end up at Villa and Michael Appleton at Birmingham if they stay down Curbishly if promoted leaving Roberto Martinez to Cardiff and Fred Dinnage to Portsmouth.Thats what i think

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If I was a Premiership chairman, Gus would be EXACTLY the sort of manager I would want, regardless of just finishing 10th. I would look at how he has reshaped the club from top to bottom and got players playing the right way with an emphasis on possession football. Given the opportunity to work with better players, these skills are very transferable.

To a degree I agree with you, but the same could be said of the likes of Lambert, Rodgers, McDermott and even...............Adkins.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Wolves will target Steve Bruce, West Brom want houghton and will get him even if Birmingham win the play offs, Villa if they get rid of Mcleish will target Gus who will turn them down.Malky Mackay will end up at Villa and Michael Appleton at Birmingham if they stay down Curbishly if promoted leaving Roberto Martinez to Cardiff and Fred Dinnage to Portsmouth.Thats what i think
Think you are wrong about WBA.I reckon Adrian Chiles will probably get that one!:lolol:

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Gus hasn't hidden the fact that he wants to manage in the prem but in an interview this week he also said he's in no rush to he there and all the time we're improving as a club on and off the pitch he will stay here and hopefully manage in the prem with us.
All 3 clubs mentioned are bigger than us at present, but we are moving in the right direction and hopefully will be competing well against clubs like these over the next few years, especially once our training ground and academy is up and running........Gus is playing a major part in developing this and i really can't see him walking away from it yet.......a bigger club does not necessarily mean it's a better job for Gus.
If I'm wrong though and he did walk away I have every confidence in Tony getting the right man in to continue where Gus left off....no one person is bigger than the club, well maybe Tony runs it close.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Gus hasn't hidden the fact that he wants to manage in the prem but in an interview this week he also said he's in no rush to he there and all the time we're improving as a club on and off the pitch he will stay here and hopefully manage in the prem with us.
All 3 clubs mentioned are bigger than us at present, but we are moving in the right direction and hopefully will be competing well against clubs like these over the next few years, especially once our training ground and academy is up and running........Gus is playing a major part in developing this and i really can't see him walking away from it yet.......a bigger club does not necessarily mean it's a better job for Gus.
If I'm wrong though and he did walk away I have every confidence in Tony getting the right man in to continue where Gus left off....no one person is bigger than the club, well maybe Tony runs it close.

Project Albion is not finished for Gus Poyet yet and will not be for at least two years. That's the deal I expect.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
If the Villa job comes up, then Gus could go there. That's the only place I think Gus would consider.

That's what I think could happen, hoping it won't obviously.

If Villa stay up, they'll have a clear out and keep players like Bent, Dunne, Nzogbia, Warnock and Given etc.., then let Gus work his magic.

They're are realistically a club who should be playing in the Europa League and I believe Gus could get them back where they hope to be instead of being a team fighting to stay up.

It'd be a tough job to take over but it's a realistic step up and not so much of a leap like Spurs or Chelsea would be.

But hoping Gus will stay and get us a play off place next season :)

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Poyet linked to three Midlands management jobs - Brighton & Hove Albion - Worthing Herald

I know it's nothing much and it's just speculation but I can't see him joining neither of these sides.

Villa- Could be playing at our level next season.
Wolves- Will be playing at our level.
West Brom- Not a bad side at all but a yoyo team, they've done very well this season though but I can't see Gus leaving us for them.

If you were offered a 25 or 50 % pay rise to go and do the job you are currently doing but for someone else what would you do

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you were offered a 25 or 50 % pay rise to go and do the job you are currently doing but for someone else what would you do

Depends. If I got a pay rise for a year but then didn't work again for the rest of my life, I'd give it a miss. Remember what Brendan Rogers said about the Chelsea job. "I'm just building my career, why would I want to ruin it?"

People who say that Villa, WBA and Wolves are bigger clubs and can pay more are missing the point. Yes, more money is attractive but not if it ultimately means a managerial career has stalled. I bet we won't see Terry Connor as a Prem manager again - and I'm not sure we'll see McLeish there either.

Poyet is on a good number here. He's probably on a decent screw by Championship standards, has a hand in the long-term development of the club, has a completely free hand (no director of football or interfering chairman) and relatively low expectations. Yes, he's ambitious but he has 20 or 25 years left and has plenty of time to get to the top. Villa, with their crippling debt and Wolves with a chairman who has to stick his oar in, would be poor choices for Poyet (I also agree that he's probably not the first choice for most Prem clubs either). He's a bright bloke and he reckons he knows, roughly, where's going next.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

Good post. I have much faith in Bloom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Depends. If I got a pay rise for a year but then didn't work again for the rest of my life, I'd give it a miss. Remember what Brendan Rogers said about the Chelsea job. "I'm just building my career, why would I want to ruin it?"

People who say that Villa, WBA and Wolves are bigger clubs and can pay more are missing the point. Yes, more money is attractive but not if it ultimately means a managerial career has stalled. I bet we won't see Terry Connor as a Prem manager again - and I'm not sure we'll see McLeish there either.

Poyet is on a good number here. He's probably on a decent screw by Championship standards, has a hand in the long-term development of the club, has a completely free hand (no director of football or interfering chairman) and relatively low expectations. Yes, he's ambitious but he has 20 or 25 years left and has plenty of time to get to the top. Villa, with their crippling debt and Wolves with a chairman who has to stick his oar in, would be poor choices for Poyet (I also agree that he's probably not the first choice for most Prem clubs either). He's a bright bloke and he reckons he knows, roughly, where's going next.

The current interest in Gus is on the back of our success last season,and the OK season this year .But if Gus carries the momentum from the last 10 games of this season into the next we will be fighting relegation battles come the end of the season,all of the success will be forgotten, a manager is only as good as his last 6 months.Gus knows this and will be off for the money the same as any other manager

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
If I were in Poyet's shoes I wouldn't be tempted by Villa or WBA.
Villa is a big club but with an owner who is reported to have fallen out of love with the club and football in general, and who has no intention of giving an incoming manager much of a budget.
WBA are as high as they can expect to be. Keeping them where they are would be an achievement. That is not what I would consider an attractive option.
Wolves, of the three, is probably the best opportunity right now. Although relegated, reports indicate there'll be no massive budget cut and a decent kitty to go for promotion with. There's a real chance to build something there and, providing they come close next season, I don't think the Wolves support would be in uproar if it took a couple of years to get back to The PL.
Having said all of which, if I were Gus Poyet I'd remain with B&HA. However, although no man is bigger than the club, I think it would be a monumental blow if you lost him. With Poyet I think you have an excellent chance of promotion next season. You'd be very fortunate to find a replacement of similar quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here