Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet linked with, Wolves, West Brom and Aston Villa Job.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Remember what Gus said when he first came here, that he'd had opportunities elsewhere before this came along, but he hadn't taken then because they didn't "feel right", and then subsequently how it would take something "special" for him to leave?

I honestly believe he sees us as a long term project, and while it would be naive to think that we're as big/bigger than any of the aforementioned three, I can't see any sense in which any of them are "special" enough jobs to take him away from it.

The days of us being a tinpot club whose managers sod off at the first vague sniff of something higher up the pyramid are gone. While I wouldn't be surprised if any or all of thee above clubs became interested, I still expect Gus to be here next season.

What he said! Gus is going nowhere!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why exactly would a Premiership team want the manager of the 10th best team in the division below?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I doubt he'd go to West Brom, after they shat on hius best mate RDM.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Realistically, I think Gus might have to join a long queue behind the likes of Hughton, Rodgers, McDermott, Capello, Eriksson, Curbishley etc for any of these mid Premiership jobs.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Aston Villa fans are champions. Champions at MOANING. If Gus gets the hump at a few half time booers at Brighton, he'll be in for a shock at Villa.

That's true, but not just at Villa. I genuinely think that Gus will struggle at a "big" club unless he gets a thicker skin. Fans want success and NOW. In the Prem, the measure of success for far too many clubs is to be up with the clubs who spend £100m on players. That just will not happen for Villa.

He will leave one day, of course he will, and I think it will be a move to a bigger club rather than a sacking from us, but I think it will be to a yo-yo club with greater potential than us. Neil Warnock could get Leeds to that point, and then they dispense with him in favour of Gus. that is the sort of move I reckon, and that's a year or two away.

Fanous last words, but, I'm not worried about losing him this summer. It's too early.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I see no indication of Villa getting rid of McCleish, whatever the fans think of him, and even if they did to think they'd replace him with someone who has no Premier league experience as a No. 1 would be silly.

The Blackburn fans haven't got rid of Kean, despite all their protests and moaning.

They'd want someone with Europa League experience (and would probably be able to tempt someone from overseas). Moyes and Hughes were the hot tips when O'Niell resigned, and they'd still be favourites now.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
You're assuming to speak for Gus when he has already said the exact polar opposite.

It's not the size of history of the club that concerns him - it's the relationship with the chairman, and the extent to which he would be allowed to do what he wants without interference.

I'm not assuming to speak for Gus at all. Re-read my post - doesn't put any words in Gus' mouth - simply tries to inject some sense into this discussion about the relative size/history/appeal of our club relative to others.

Interestingly though you feel able to comment on what he's thinking?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not assuming to speak for Gus at all. Re-read my post - doesn't put any words in Gus' mouth - simply tries to inject some sense into this discussion about the relative size/history/appeal of our club relative to others.

Interestingly though you feel able to comment on what he's thinking?

No, I'm able to comment on what he's already said.

I know what you're trying to inject - but it's in flat contradiction to Gus' comments.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I know what you're trying to inject - but it's in flat contradiction to Gus' comments.

Let me quote Gus Poyet:

“And then the booing at half-time. It looks like Real Madrid have been playing in town for the last 20 years, it looks like they have been in the Championship top ten many times, so I am very disappointed. "

I would wager money on Poyet recognising Aston Villa and WBA as bigger clubs than Brighton - the man has a clearer sense of perspective about our recent history than many fans reading this thread. Now, whether he would opt to stay at the Albion because of the good relationship with Bloom and opportunities to play a key role in developing the club from the youth setup up, is another matter. But to claim that the big clubs in question are not appealing is arrogant.

I simply cannot listen to Brighton fans getting above their station like I'm reading on this thread. It's frankly idiotic.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Any of those clubs make an offer and Gus is off. Some of our supporters delusion is hilarious. All those clubs are HUGE in comparison to us.

The only possible thing that will make him stay is a huge transfer budget.

Ill be astounded if Poyet is here in 2 years time.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ill be astounded if Poyet is here in 2 years time.

You say that as if it will come as a big surprise to the rest of us, most of us know and accept that he will move on, probably after this coming season if we do fairly well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Let me quote Gus Poyet:

“And then the booing at half-time. It looks like Real Madrid have been playing in town for the last 20 years, it looks like they have been in the Championship top ten many times, so I am very disappointed. "

I would wager money on Poyet recognising Aston Villa and WBA as bigger clubs than Brighton - the man has a clearer sense of perspective about our recent history than many fans reading this thread. Now, whether he would opt to stay at the Albion because of the good relationship with Bloom and opportunities to play a key role in developing the club from the youth setup up, is another matter. But to claim that the big clubs in question are not appealing is arrogant.

I simply cannot listen to Brighton fans getting above their station like I'm reading on this thread. It's frankly idiotic.

Of course Gus knows those clubs are bigger than Brighton, but that's not his point.

His point, which you seem to be over-looking, is that he doesn't care for that club's history or size. So to relegate the working relationship of working well with the chairman to 'another matter' goes against the values that he talks about. It's not 'another matter' - it's the central matter.

He wouldn't go to Aston Villa or West Brom just because they're big clubs - he'd go there because he believes that he and the chairman shared the same values, and and that they could get on.

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
You're assuming to speak for Gus when he has already said the exact polar opposite.

It's not the size of history of the club that concerns him - it's the relationship with the chairman, and the extent to which he would be allowed to do what he wants without interference. You really think he's going to get that at Villa without undue pressure?

Not everyone has avarice running amok through their veins.

Until he is a proven top manager he is going to get interference wherever he goes, he's in an almost unique situation at the moment, he's being allowed to drive a relatively small club forward as we really have very little to lose compared to the risks of an established prem club facing relegation. In the prem, generally, owners don't want a somewhat maverick, off the wall, type of manager, a firm and steady hand on the tiller is what is required, not someone who is like to go off in a huff at a bit of criticism.

Funnily enough, a club like Villa may be the type of club where he might get a chance. They seem to be at something of a crossroads and the opportunity to appoint a different style of manager may be what they need to restore them to former glories. As rather risky strategy, but for them, following established practice hasn’t worked in recent years so maybe they would give someone like Gus a go.

Until he has had some experience of running at least a mid table prem side, none of the top six clubs will give him a second glance.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
u will note sir that i had edited my post...i thought maybe it would be a windup...but...i take your comment on board...but likewise i could say the same about you could i not? :)

PS did u watch Albion under mike Bailey..just interested

PPS no i don't think i know more..in fact you could say 99% of this board is opinion with the balance fact..so i just state an opinion ..like many others and yourself of course

Ha Ha,yup,I watched Albion under Mike Bailey.Let us just say 'it was a wee bit tedious'!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Of course Gus knows those clubs are bigger than Brighton, but that's not his point.

His point, which you seem to be over-looking, is that he doesn't care for that club's history or size. So to relegate the working relationship of working well with the chairman to 'another matter' goes against the values that he talks about. It's not 'another matter' - it's the central matter.

He wouldn't go to Aston Villa or West Brom just because they're big clubs - he'd go there because he believes that he and the chairman shared the same values, and and that they could get on.

Time will tell TLO

I agree he wouldn't go just because they're big clubs - but big clubs can quite easily sell the dream to ambitious people about them looking to become great again. And my main point has been people's ridiculous comments along the lines of "we're as big as them now..."

I particuarly don't agree with your point about "he doesn't care for that club's history or size" - he has always stated that "something special" would tempt him away. I think part of that something special is a club's history and size - as per Chelsea, Spurs. For some reason, people on here have assumed that this only includes a limited number of club sides and Uruguay - this is the now found delusion that I'm talking about. Bloody hell, two years ago we were all looking to Sheffield Wednesday away on the opening day as an indicator as to whether we could cut it with the big clubs in League 1. 5 years ago we were playing 'derby' games against Leyton Orient.

The next manager who turns around Aston Villa (for example) will be heralded - I think that would appeal to Gus.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Time will tell TLO

I agree he wouldn't go just because they're big clubs - but big clubs can quite easily sell the dream to ambitious people about them looking to become great again. And my main point has been people's ridiculous comments along the lines of "we're as big as them now..."

I particuarly don't agree with your point about "he doesn't care for that club's history or size" - he has always stated that "something special" would tempt him away. I think part of that something special is a club's history and size - as per Chelsea, Spurs. For some reason, people on here have assumed that this only includes a limited number of club sides and Uruguay - this is the now found delusion that I'm talking about. Bloody hell, two years ago we were all looking to Sheffield Wednesday away on the opening day as an indicator as to whether we could cut it with the big clubs in League 1. 5 years ago we were playing 'derby' games against Leyton Orient.

The next manager who turns around Aston Villa (for example) will be heralded - I think that would appeal to Gus.

How many managers are Aston Villa going to get through before they're allowed to be turned around?

It's not my point for anyone to agree or disagree with about "he doesn't care for that club's history or size" - it's Gus' point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here