Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Poyet is the man to lead Chelsea' According to Ray Wilkins in a 2 page spread. (merged)

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
In today's sports section of the Daily Express.

Piss off Ray. Leave our Gus alone! :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
GUS POYET WOULD MEND BROKEN BRIDGE AT CHELSEA

The Chelsea legend believes that with Abramovich’s first-choice Pep Guardiola now enticed away from Stamford Bridge by Bayern Munich, former Blues hero Poyet is the only man who can heal the wounds tearing the club apart.

The effervescent Uruguyan is in charge at Brighton, where in three years he has built a side playing fluent, skilful football which he has taken into the Championship. They lie just outside the play-off places.

More important though for Wilkins than the fact that Poyet, 45, is one of the brightest young managers in the game is the fact that he is a former Chelsea hero who spent four seasons at the club from 1997 to 2001, scoring 36 goals in 105 appearances.

Another dismal night at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday saw Chelsea throw away a 2-0 lead to draw with Southampton. Interim manager Rafa Benitez was once again blamed as his team were booed off the field.

Wilkins believes that only someone steeped in Chelsea lore can unite the club – and that man is Poyet.

Wilkins, a former captain and assistant manager, said: “If I was Roman Abramovich I would employ Gus. He is a young manager with new ideas. He is the right type of guy to manage Chelsea. He knows the club inside out from his time as a player there, and the fans still love him.

“Of course it is a massive step. Andre Villas-Boas found that out, but he was only 34. Gus is 45. And he knows the expectations at Chelsea. You need a big personality to manage a club like Chelsea. You can’t be a wallflower. Gus would relish that. He has done his apprenticeship in the lower divisions, so now is the time.”

Benitez is seemingly blowing his chances of landing the job permanently with every home game, and the fans are growing more hostile as results, certainly at the Bridge, fail to impress.

But Wilkins believes Benitez still has a chance – if he wins a cup and finishes third in the Premier League – to land the job permanently. But the fans need to give him a chance.

“There is a frosty environment, and it is not helping the younger players,” he said. “They expect the place to be vibrant, but it isn’t. Every decision is questioned.

“But they should give Rafa a chance. He is going through a sticky period with the fans. And it is not his fault. He didn’t ask for the job, he was offered it.

“The atmosphere is not getting any better. It is affecting the players. It is becoming difficult for them to play there.

“Confidence seems to drain out of them the minute something goes wrong. Without John Terry the leadership qualities are not there. When he comes back it will be a massive help. You can’t capitulate because you lose a goal.

“For Rafa it is not easy to stand there and get dog’s abuse. But the players have to take some responsibility. They have to go out and do it.

“If Rafa wins a trophy and finishes third, I still think he has a chance of the job.” Guardiola’s rejection of Chelsea after three approaches from Abramovich is a blow.

But Wilkins does not feel that Abramovich’s hair-trigger sacking policy has made Chelsea an unmanageable club.

He said: “No one knows what Roman will do. The man has spent nearly a billion pounds on the club. If I had spent that I would be doing what I want to do.

“Whoever takes that job knows what they are going into. Every year they change the manager, but every year they win something. So who’s to say he is wrong?

“But I don’t detect that the fans are turning against Roman. The atmosphere is not right, but Abramovich has given these supporters a lot of cheer.

“Coaches will still come. The one thing you have at Chelsea with the players there, is the opportunity to win things. Yes, you might not get long. But you can win.”

Wilkins is adamant that Abramovich is making a massive mistake in letting key older players like Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole go at the end of this season, saying: “I don’t agree with that policy. You cannot just discard these guys.”

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Also saw this:

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will take complete control of picking the club's next boss after being advised by technical director Michael Emenalo when hiring Rafa Benitez. The Russian regrets employing the ex-Liverpool boss as interim manager.
Full story: Daily Star

and

Gianfranco Zola has emerged as a serious contender to become the Blues' next full-time boss - and help change the Stamford Bridge mood.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Who knows what Roman is capable of!? But surely if there's any truth to him considering Zola, then surely he must be considering Gus as well? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That god:-

A) It's Ray Wilkins

&

B) It's in The Express.

A hammering by Arsenal and this all goes away for a while, but...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just heard Poyet's name mentioned on Talk Sport as well, in the same sentence as next Chelsea manager...Cant see it myself to be honest, although I don't think any top manager in their right mind, would go and work for Roman. Unless they want the pay off if they don't win everything...Although we all know Poyet would crawl over broken glass to get the top job at the Bridge.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It would not surprise me if come the end of the season, we have done well, but perhaps missed out on promotion, that Gus will go to Chelsea.

A Chelsea fan explained ( not a plastic by any means sth etc) why Benitez is hated so much....seemly he called Chelsea fans pathetic for not having any passion for their team and having to rely on being given flags to wave to show their support, whereas Liverpool fans were passionate and better fans than Chelsea.

So whatever e does he will always be hated.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just heard Poyet's name mentioned on Talk Sport as well, in the same sentence as next Chelsea manager...Cant see it myself to be honest, although I don't think any top manager in their right mind, would go and work for Roman. Unless they want the pay off if they don't win everything...Although we all know Poyet would crawl over broken glass to get the top job at the Bridge.

A long list of top managers have done exactly that... Mourinho, Scolari, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Benitez...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
'Poyet is the man to lead Chelsea'...... According to Ray Wilkins in a 2 page spread.....

Just heard Poyet's name mentioned on Talk Sport as well, in the same sentence as next Chelsea manager...

Yes. They read the sports pages in newspapers and talk about it on the radio.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If Gus gets us comfortably into the playoffs then his potential Premiership credentials will take a boost. Would Roman take a gamble? Gus and Zola as assistant would be a popular choice amongst the fans at the Bridge but they would have to hit the ground running to ward the boo boys off.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
If Gus gets us comfortably into the playoffs then his potential Premiership credentials will take a boost. Would Roman take a gamble? Gus and Zola as assistant would be a popular choice amongst the fans at the Bridge but they would have to hit the ground running to ward the boo boys off.
See my original post, no he wouldn't.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why is he bushy?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Poyet is widely disliked at Chelsea, he is not at all popular.

Strange how this rarely gets mentioned. Maybe the Chelsea JCL's don't even know about it! The manner of his move to Spurs was tenfold worse than Murray to Palace in the eyes of the faithful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here