Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet at chelsea

bhabarber

May 10, 2008
Was at the chelsea game last night great game but the highlight of my night was the reception gus got at half time . He was there as a chelsea legend to sign a shirt wich they are auctioning off at the end of the season for charity. He done a lap of honour and got a standing ovation from every stand.

I really hope he gets that gig in 5-10 years time. It seems to me he has his head screwed on and has realised the benefit of a decent successful spell at a smaller club such as us rather than going to Steve Bruce method of jumping ship every two months. Ideally for us and him, he would spend 3 years with us, 2 or 3 years at a Wigan/Bolton type team followed by the Chelsea or Spurs gig. The best way to not blot your CV is to minimise the number of clubs you manage.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
do you think chelsea are that much a bigger club than us ?
i know that sounds stupid but take away the rusian money and i think they will be in trouble ?

Yoda

English & European
i know that sounds stupid but take away the rusian money and i think they will be in trouble ?

Yes they have a big wage bill, but look at their transfer dealings over the last 4-5 years. They've recieved more than they've spent.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003

OH FFS :facepalm:

How did you come up with that, in that Chelsea are regular competitors in the Champions League, their ground is somewhat bigger, they have some outstanding players in their squad and it goes on and on....

If Brighton were to be matched with a premiership team, I would go along the same lines of maybe ......Wigan

We have a potentially bigger fan base, but we need to walk before we can run. The good times "appear" to be coming back, a bit early however to say "are Brighton bigger than Chelsea?"
:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes they have a big wage bill, but look at their transfer dealings over the last 4-5 years. They've recieved more than they've spent.

Have you any evidence for that? This year they bought Ramires and Benayoun and sold no-one (Cole was a free transfer). Last season they bought Zhirkov and can't remember anyone being sold. I can remember plenty of big name buys but very few big name sales, SWP - but at a massive loss

EDIT: that's not to say I agree with the proposition that Chelsea aren't a big club

macky

Dec 28, 2004
OH FFS :facepalm:

How did you come up with that, in that Chelsea are regular competitors in the Champions League, their ground is somewhat bigger, they have some outstanding players in their squad and it goes on and on....

If Brighton were to be matched with a premiership team, I would go along the same lines of maybe ......Wigan

We have a potentially bigger fan base, but we need to walk before we can run. The good times "appear" to be coming back, a bit early however to say "are Brighton bigger than Chelsea?"
:lolol:

take away their fair weather fans russian money
and they wil be in trouble

macky

Dec 28, 2004
before the russian came i would say they were smaller than wigan are
and when he gets fed up with his toy they wil go back

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I really hope he gets that gig in 5-10 years time. It seems to me he has his head screwed on and has realised the benefit of a decent successful spell at a smaller club such as us rather than going to Steve Bruce method of jumping ship every two months. Ideally for us and him, he would spend 3 years with us, 2 or 3 years at a Wigan/Bolton type team followed by the Chelsea or Spurs gig. The best way to not blot your CV is to minimise the number of clubs you manage.

Why would he want to regress? Seriously?

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing

Very true & now he's starting to tighten the purse strings the days of buying trophies could very well soon be at an end.
People forget they aren't actually a massive club. I was reading an article the other day & their attendances have only gone up just over 1000 since he took over.
They would never fill a massive stadium like Man Utd & Arsenal do or Liverpool & Tottenham will do.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Errm... yes

They have won the league 4 times, the fa cup 6 times (runners up 4 times), won the league cup 4 times and have achieved a record attendance of over 82,000.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I like to think it would be more a case of Gus sticking with us for 3-4 years, taking us into the Premiership, holding us there in a Fulham type way before jumping ship like Roy Hodgson.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Very true & now he's starting to tighten the purse strings the days of buying trophies could very well soon be at an end.
People forget they aren't actually a massive club. I was reading an article the other day & their attendances have only gone up just over 1000 since he took over.
They would never fill a massive stadium like Man Utd & Arsenal do or Liverpool & Tottenham will do.

Any of the big London clubs of which Chelsea are certainly one would fill an emirates sized stadium no question.

Chelsea are a massive club and despite the short times they have spent in the lower divisions always have been.

macky

Dec 28, 2004

whats so funny without mat harding they would have sunk
and didnt the russian buy them by mistake
go back 20 years their gates werent all that better than ours were

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Coming back to the topic of the thread, it seems to be that everybody loves Gus. It doesn't matter who you ask or which club they support, if you're talking about Gus you always get a positive response. Amazing really when you think that he's even spent time at Leeds.

He always showed total commitment in his playing days, he's been prepared to drop down the leagues the learn his craft in management and he's an all round good egg.

We're so lucky to have him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

What a load of tosh. Ideally for us he'll stay 3 yrs? Bollocks. If he continues to impress, ideally for us he'll be with us for 20 yrs...!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Errm... yes

They have won the league 4 times, the fa cup 6 times (runners up 4 times), won the league cup 4 times and have achieved a record attendance of over 82,000.

exactly,whereas we haven't.

sometimes the ignorance of some brighton fans is incredible

macky

Dec 28, 2004
exactly,whereas we haven't.

sometimes the ignorance of some brighton fans is incredible

i was not talking about what they have won
i was saying fan base gates etc they arent a lot ahead of us
of course this moment they are who's to say in 5 years time some russian
might land his plane near us on the way to old trafford ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here