Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet - A criticism.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
There's an article & mini-interview with Gus in the sunday paper today, in which he talks entirely about Chelsea, and their chances of overtaking Barcelona. This is the third or fourth such interview recently in which he's given his views on the Chelsea team, their new manager, John Terry's role for England, and other such matters.

Now, I think Gus is a fantastic manager, and he's done wonders for the team, but I wish he'd focus on talking more about Brighton than his former employers. Otherwise, people will start to think that he's just ensuring that his name is in the hat for the next time the job becomes vacant.:down:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hmm i kind of agree. However it could be the journalist asking gus about his champs league views and chelsea in particular?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's an article & mini-interview with Gus in the sunday paper today, in which he talks entirely about Chelsea, and their chances of overtaking Barcelona. This is the third or fourth such interview recently in which he's given his views on the Chelsea team, their new manager, John Terry's role for England, and other such matters.

Now, I think Gus is a fantastic manager, and he's done wonders for the team, but I wish he'd focus on talking more about Brighton than his former employers. Otherwise, people will start to think that he's just ensuring that his name is in the hat for the next time the job becomes vacant.:down:

If a journalist asks for his views on Chelsea, whats he supposed to do ? Deny their existance ?

Its no secret he holds a great deal of affection for the club, he had some happy and successful years there. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Did he not play at Chelsea? And is he not (arguably) held in high regards at Stamford Towers??

Don't understand your point when he has said previously he is here for the long term?

???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This is how all the 'Lawrenson is a wanker because he pretends he was never at the Albion' myth started. Don't go starting it on Gus.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So Gus was asked about Chelsea, and he talked about Chelsea.

I don't really see the problem.... :shrug:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Facts of journalistic life, people - if you want to get something in the sports pages of national newspapers, you've got more chance if there's a mention of (in this order) 1. England, 2. The big four/five Premier League clubs, 3. David Beckham. So anyone interviewing a player or manager from a club outside the top 5 will try to get their opinion on one of those three if there's even the most tenuous link. Vicente, for example - how will Mata do at Chelsea? Did you play against Beckham?

So if a journo speaks to a sports editor, the pitch may very well be: "What about something with Gus Poyet - I can ask him about Chelsea and Spurs?" rather than "I can ask him about Ashley Barnes and Lewis Dunk. Hello? Hello? Funny, he must have been cut off..."

Gus may have spoken for 25 minutes about us and only 5 minutes about Chelsea, but the Chelsea stuff was what got used. I spoke to Tony Adams for an hour in pre-season, about all sorts of stuff, including coaching in Azerbaijan, his work with Sporting Chance, where he sees his career going and what went wrong at Portsmouth. What did the papers want? Where's Wenger going wrong and what about England - same old, same old. To some papers, players and managers are only interesting for what they can say about more famous players and managers.

Partly this is because some sports editors or their deputies aren't confident in their own judgement and therefore play safe with stuff about the biggest clubs and players. Partly it's because some of them don't have a clue...

Facts of journalistic life, people - if you want to get something in the sports pages of national newspapers, you've got more chance if there's a mention of (in this order) 1. England, 2. The big four/five Premier League clubs, 3. David Beckham. So anyone interviewing a player or manager from a club outside the top 5 will try to get their opinion on one of those three if there's even the most tenuous link. Vicente, for example - how will Mata do at Chelsea? Did you play against Beckham?

So if a journo speaks to a sports editor, the pitch may very well be: "What about something with Gus Poyet - I can ask him about Chelsea and Spurs?" rather than "I can ask him about Ashley Barnes and Lewis Dunk. Hello? Hello? Funny, he must have been cut off..."

Gus may have spoken for 25 minutes about us and only 5 minutes about Chelsea, but the Chelsea stuff was what got used. I spoke to Tony Adams for an hour in pre-season, about all sorts of stuff, including coaching in Azerbaijan, his work with Sporting Chance, where he sees his career going and what went wrong at Portsmouth. What did the papers want? Where's Wenger going wrong and what about England - same old, same old. To some papers, players and managers are only interesting for what they can say about more famous players and managers.

Partly this is because some sports editors or their deputies aren't confident in their own judgement and therefore play safe with stuff about the biggest clubs and players. Partly it's because some of them don't have a clue...
It's the same with local papers, of course. There MUST be a local angle to any story.

One of my all time Argus favourites is the story they ran when Jomo Kenyatta, first President of independent Kenya, died. When he'd been a student at London University, he'd had a holiday job. This enabled the Argus to start its piece with the sentence ...

... Former Sussex agricultural labourer, Jomo Kenyatta, has died, aged 84.

Marvellous.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's the same with local papers, of course. There MUST be a local angle to any story.

One of my all time Argus favourites is the story they ran when Jomo Kenyatta, first President of independent Kenya, died. When he'd been a student at London University, he'd had a holiday job. This enabled the Argus to start its piece with the sentence ...

... Former Sussex agricultural labourer, Jomo Kenyatta, has died, aged 84.

Marvellous.

I dont know why, but that is the funniest thing I have read for days!! Thanks.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

No escaping his love or respect for Chelsea & rightly so.

No denying his love & respect for Brighton too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So if a journo speaks to a sports editor, the pitch may very well be: "What about something with Gus Poyet - I can ask him about Chelsea and Spurs?" rather than "I can ask him about Ashley Barnes and Lewis Dunk.
Gus's view on Spurs sniffing around Dunky ? :wink:

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011

shit like that actually bothers you?

My Life.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

b**x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here