Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball, your opinions so far?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Their goal had been coming since the start of the second half - and after it they had another 4/5 really good chances to score that they didn't take - Brighton's defence was very shaky at times last night.

Some of the comments last night - not from me - I wasn't the only one who thought things were a bit shaky at the back

Unquestionably much better to watch this season, and last night's result brings confidence that playing the so-called big six doesn't always mean we have to roll over - granted the state of Arsenal doesn't afford them a current top six billing really at present.

My one gripe with Potter is the obsession with playing out from the back, making several risky passes in the penalty area, before often sending it long anyway. Against Leicester at home it seemed madness to ask Duffy to prove yet again that he's not great on the ball - and in many games the pressure from opposition forwards unsettles us. I guess the need to play short passes, now that the ball doesn't need to leave the penalty area from goalkicks, will evolve slowly, but my heart is often in my mouth when the dangerous passing routine kicks off again.
It traditionally takes a team two seasons to master playing out from the back and all team members pressing the spaces together. Not even half a season played give them time it will be great when it clicks.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I actually don’t understand the negativity for what is a team playing attractive football.
With all due respect - how am I being negative - have a look at my posts from last night's game - I was posting positive comments throughout the game except for a short spell in the second half when Arsenal were clearly on top.

However, I do remain perplexed that you believed it was lucky, when literally every statistic suggests otherwise.
Arsenal had a really good spell in the second half - they equalised and could have scored on 4/5 occasions very shortly afterwards. If they had the game could well have turned out very differently - in my opinion Brighton were lucky to survive that spell - but when they did they pushed on and scored. Brighton were the better team last night - and absolutely deserved to win the game. You need a bit of luck in football and Brighton got it last night when Arsenal didn't manage to score when they really should have during that short spell after the equaliser.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It traditionally takes a team two seasons to master playing out from the back and all team members pressing the spaces together. Not even half a season played give them time it will be great when it clicks.

I agree - there has been a major change of strategy and it will take time to bed in - that is why there will be ups and downs this season - here is hoping for more ups than downs.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Only Burn was - Alzate was a year younger - played at Swindon in League Two and was injured for five months - Connolly was a year younger - was injured for 4 months and couldn't get into a League One team when he recovered. I would also argue that Burn needed time to adjust to the PL - and he was one of the poorer players last night (imo). Webster, Maupay and Mooy weren't with the team - and Mooy was the best player on the pitch.
Surprised they let you use computers in a secure unit, nhs getting sloppy again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With all due respect - how am I being negative - have a look at my posts from last night's game - I was posting positive comments throughout the game except for a short spell in the second half when Arsenal were clearly on top.

Arsenal had a really good spell in the second half - they equalised and could have scored on 4/5 occasions very shortly afterwards. If they had the game could well have turned out very differently - in my opinion Brighton were lucky to survive that spell - but when they did they pushed on and scored. Brighton were the better team last night - and absolutely deserved to win the game. You need a bit of luck in football and Brighton got it last night when Arsenal didn't manage to score when they really should have during that short spell after the equaliser.

But then on that basis Arsenal were lucky they weren’t trailing by more at half-time.

All swings and roundabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think JRG is full now, posters really should stop feeding him.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
But then on that basis Arsenal were lucky they weren’t trailing by more at half-time.

All swings and roundabouts.

Yep - Brighton could have been 3 up - as you say swings and roundabouts - if Arsenal had won or even drawn that game they would have been very lucky - they wouldn't have deserved it. Arsenal had a big chance in the second half and blew it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Just as Arsenal were equally, if not more so, lucky that we didn't score more than two.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Potterball is about faith in the players, and bravery by the players.

Inspiring.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What do you (or anyone) gain from this "Chris Hughton was really good and Graham Potter is really bad" campaign?

Not trying to step on you here, just curious.
Given that he is spouting his opinion on every possible thread on NSC at the moment, the answer surely has to be 'attention'.

There is no other benefit to this narrative. I think it's time we all moved on before this nonsense taints CHs time with us. Constantly comparing the two managers is disrespectful to both and completely pointless.

I say we give these trolls their own thread and let them get in with it as their pointless nonsense is ruining too many other threads at the moment.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
Arsenal had a really good spell in the second half - they equalised and could have scored on 4/5 occasions very shortly afterwards. If they had the game could well have turned out very differently - in my opinion Brighton were lucky to survive that spell - but when they did they pushed on and scored.

Arsenal were lucky 'we' weren't out of sight by half time. Seriously, how can anyone say anything about last night was down to luck?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Arsenal were lucky 'we' weren't out of sight by half time. Seriously, how can anyone say anything about last night was down to luck?

Sometimes you need a bit of luck in football - Brighton dominated the game in the first half and you are right, Arsenal were lucky - Arsenal were on top early in the second half, equalised and really should have scored a second - Brighton got their bit of luck, weathered the storm and then scored and ran out winners. There really is nothing wrong with accepting a bit of luck in a game - and you need it when you are willing to take more of a gamble with your playing strategy.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Constantly comparing the two managers is disrespectful to both and completely pointless.

I absolutely agree - so please suggest that others stop comparing Hughtonball to Potterball - two different managers, two different methods, tow different seasons - then there will be no need for a response and we can all get on with enjoying the next game and the one after that and .....

And for Swansman - please indicate where I stated that 'Potter is really bad' - in fact please indicate any anti-Potter comment I made.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Loving it so far. Some of the stuff we played last night was tremendous. Hard to believe how much he's transformed us in such a small amount of time.

PASS1.gif

PASS2.gif

PASS33e27c0ac35f63bfe.gif

PASS4.gif

GOAL1415b1365b54ac930.gif
Let's not forget the role his coaches play in all of the improvements we've seen. Looks like a great team to me.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here