Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball, your opinions so far?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Their goal had been coming since the start of the second half - and after it they had another 4/5 really good chances to score that they didn't take - Brighton's defence was very shaky at times last night.

Some of the comments last night - not from me - I wasn't the only one who thought things were a bit shaky at the back

Long term Brighton fans knowing what is coming....except this season it isn’t :clap:

We’ll change after a few more months of Potterball

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Loving it so far. Some of the stuff we played last night was tremendous. Hard to believe how much he's transformed us in such a small amount of time.

GOAL1415b1365b54ac930.gif

Ah there we go, the winning goal. Two full-backs in the six-yard box waiting a cross. :lolol: Surely even Mr Jolly Red Giant would admit CH wouldn't have countenanced that.

But seriously, why the **** is the left back in the box waiting for a cross from the left. ridiculous :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didn't actually - I got exactly where you were going with it - and got the reply that I expected as well.

Perfect. That’s that then, don’t need to post any more because you already know what the reply says (bit like your views on our football). I’m not replying to any more of your tedious drivel. Tata.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Their goal had been coming since the start of the second half - and after it they had another 4/5 really good chances to score that they didn't take - Brighton's defence was very shaky at times last night.

Some of the comments last night - not from me - I wasn't the only one who thought things were a bit shaky at the back

You're getting a bit of a slating JRG, but certainly not from me.

This should happen every week. Someone making the effort to go through the match thread and pick out all the ridiculous reactionary posts, to publicly shame those who fail to keep any sense of proportion whilst watching a match

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Some of these Hughton boys are a bit weird. It’s like they support CH more than they do Albion.

I loved the guy too but we’ve moved on, and GP has been sensational for us so far.

Agree with you about GP

Although, I do think it's perfectly possible to accurately talk through Potters strengths as a coach without making slights at Chrissy, who remains a club legend in my book.

Far too few posters are showing him the respect he deserves

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with you about GP

Although, I do think it's perfectly possible to accurately talk through Potters strengths as a coach without making slights at Chrissy, who remains a club legend in my book.

Far too few posters are showing him the respect he deserves

CH did an amazing job..........anyone suggesting otherwise is a fool. We were heading for L1 when he took over.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just don't understand this way of thinking. You might win one or two more but we have undoubtedly lost matches that Hughton would have secured a point.
Obviously there's no guarantee which games we would and wouldn't have scored a point in.
Arsenal didn't play that well and I say we earned the victory. I think Hughton, with the same breaks, wins that match too.
Breaks? We didn't get breaks. We were easily the better side. It's unlikely we'd have won that with Hughton in charge.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Unquestionably much better to watch this season, and last night's result brings confidence that playing the so-called big six doesn't always mean we have to roll over - granted the state of Arsenal doesn't afford them a current top six billing really at present.

My one gripe with Potter is the obsession with playing out from the back, making several risky passes in the penalty area, before often sending it long anyway. Against Leicester at home it seemed madness to ask Duffy to prove yet again that he's not great on the ball - and in many games the pressure from opposition forwards unsettles us. I guess the need to play short passes, now that the ball doesn't need to leave the penalty area from goalkicks, will evolve slowly, but my heart is often in my mouth when the dangerous passing routine kicks off again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes and check my ratings which reflect my comments, but I’m unclear how you deduce that a midfield player not tracking and a clumsy CB in possession, is shaky defending.....

Other than your defence of Chris which as you know I partially agree with (other than the ‘blooding’ of younger players. I actually don’t understand the negativity for what is a team playing attractive football.

However, I do remain perplexed that you believed it was lucky, when literally every statistic suggests otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Potter is standing on the shoulders of CH work, but he’s taking it much further. I say this realising thats no guarantee for success, see Arsenal and MU for examples but highlight Potters real quality and the teams faith they have shown in his ideas.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unquestionably much better to watch this season, and last night's result brings confidence that playing the so-called big six doesn't always mean we have to roll over - granted the state of Arsenal doesn't afford them a current top six billing really at present.

My one gripe with Potter is the obsession with playing out from the back, making several risky passes in the penalty area, before often sending it long anyway. Against Leicester at home it seemed madness to ask Duffy to prove yet again that he's not great on the ball - and in many games the pressure from opposition forwards unsettles us. I guess the need to play short passes, now that the ball doesn't need to leave the penalty area from goalkicks, will evolve slowly, but my heart is often in my mouth when the dangerous passing routine kicks off again.

The playing out is WHY we're better to watch. It draws the press which you can then play through. Normally short but, at times. long. It is inherently risky but comes with high rewards. Bloom is all about risk and reward - I think CH's caution in the Premier League would have driven a natural gambler slowly mad, like Chinese water torture.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I'm with you on the 'heart in mouth' moments, but when we do use the long ball from there the opposition players are further up the pitch (towards our goal) and we've effectively taken them out of the equation making it easier to attack.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Potter is standing on the shoulders of CH work, but he’s taking it much further. I say this realising thats no guarantee for success, see Arsenal and MU for examples but highlight Potters real quality and the teams faith they have shown in his ideas.

Very nice way of putting it. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here