Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball failure?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think my concern is that I'm not seeing the improvement. Early season we were constantly told it's a work in progress, you can't judge him after so few games, give him 10 games, the judge him. It's after christmas that he'll really kick on. We need to give him a chance to coach the players in his style. I don't expect them to be the finished product in less than one season. He's had the one transfer window that closed before we played a competitive game. The second is almost three weeks old, but is a January window where business is complicated. I get all that.

But even with all that in mind, shouldn't we be seeing signs of the team improving by now? I don't.

Tbf I don’t think anyone said judge him after 10 games. Most sensible supporters agree you have to give the guy a season.

I do agree it’s a bit sticky right now, but ultimately the blokes had 20 odd games and one half summer window.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agreed, it was the players that let Hughton down we were 13th and virtually safe with home games against Southampton, Bournemouth, Cardiff and Newcastle to come,
we lost 3 and drew 1, that sealed Hughtons fate.

Whereas this season we have this to come in the 2nd half of the season.
View attachment 119248

While that worries me, there is the nagging feeling that our style might be better against the "big" teams than someone scrapping for every point. Ok, we were terrible at Man U but we beat Spurs at home, should have got something out of Spurs away, beat Arsenal away and nearly got a point at Liverpool. OK we lost 4-0 at City but we played well and spunked good chances.

Whereas we've been awful against Sheffiled Utd and Villa and careless agaist Southampton (in charge until the red card), West Ham and Burnley at home.

Where a team has to play against us we generally do ok. Even Norwich and Bournemouth try to playu footbally and we beat them easily. As soon as we come up against a side who press well, foul well or do both we struggle.

That "press well and foul well" used to perfectly describe City but, frankly, they seem to have lost it this season. I think we'll give the other three a decent game.

HOWEVER - we could give them a decent game and still lose. My biggest concern with "Potterball" (sorry) at the moment is that it seems to be set up to be countered by the teams around us and make us look good but unlucky against the big boys. That's not great. Contrast to Burnley who have picked up all their points against teams below or around them.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Tbf I don’t think anyone said judge him after 10 games. Most sensible supporters agree you have to give the guy a season.

I do agree it’s a bit sticky right now, but ultimately the blokes had 20 odd games and one half summer window.

I didn't need 10 games to see the flaws in his management style. Normally I would agree managers need time to implement there style.
I've said this countless times that something wasn't right after only 5 or 6 games played. Potter's main weakness is defending. Its park football at times. I'm often left shaking my head at some of our awful defending.
Yesterday was poor and it isnt over yet. I don't think we will beat Bournemouth either. Another draw looks the safe bet.
I said on another thread that I would be happy with 6pts from the next 4 matches. Some of the predictions were totally daft and unrealistic ie 8 or 9 points.
It is now touch and go whether we stay up. Unless we strengthen the attack I believe we will take the last relegation place.
I fear the 2nd half of the season I really do. I don't rate Potter as many know but our recruitment has been largely embarrassing despite supposedly improving the recruitment team.
Bloom wants a top 10 finish. You will never get that with Potter and and our recruitment. Potter is the wrong appointment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the man we should have kept to help sort out defence was Liam Rosenior he would have beena godsend to our poor defensive set up. There is not much argument that our recruitment during CH latter days was poor and hasnt improved under GP., with poor big money signings.of players who cannot do the job they were signed for.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think that the man we should have kept to help sort out defence was Liam Rosenior he would have beena godsend to our poor defensive set up. There is not much argument that our recruitment during CH latter days was poor and hasnt improved under GP., with poor big money signings.of players who cannot do the job they were signed for.

He wouldn't have made a scrap of difference. Potter has a certain way of playing. Coaches implement that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I didn't need 10 games to see the flaws in his management style. Normally I would agree managers need time to implement there style.
I've said this countless times that something wasn't right after only 5 or 6 games played. Potter's main weakness is defending. Its park football at times. I'm often left shaking my head at some of our awful defending.
Yesterday was poor and it isnt over yet. I don't think we will beat Bournemouth either. Another draw looks the safe bet.
I said on another thread that I would be happy with 6pts from the next 4 matches. Some of the predictions were totally daft and unrealistic ie 8 or 9 points.
It is now touch and go whether we stay up. Unless we strengthen the attack I believe we will take the last relegation place.
I fear the 2nd half of the season I really do. I don't rate Potter as many know but our recruitment has been largely embarrassing despite supposedly improving the recruitment team.
Bloom wants a top 10 finish. You will never get that with Potter and and our recruitment. Potter is the wrong appointment.

Persuasive points, well made. Apart from the last paragraph. The Big Six has been misfiring badly this season. It's a Big Two at best. Everything else is up for grabs. Pundits creaming themselves over like likes of Wolves and Sheffield fookin United is just plain embarrassing from an Albion point of view.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I've not read every page , but I agree with this from the BBC.
"Graham Potter has been praised for the way he has developed Brighton's playing style, but he needs a greater attacking threat from his side in those matches if they are to pull themselves away from danger."

Can our forwards find their form in time ? We spent many millions on Locadia and Andone......where are they now?.
If we must buy, buy well.!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
what did you expect this season

Europa League qualification

I see it as work in progress

give Potter a chance for heavens sake

he's only been here 2 minutes

No in answer to first question. And you’re missing the point which is whether we can afford to wait for this WIP malarky, which would appear to be taking us down because we don’t have the players capable of implementing it. So do we stick or bust? Or even stick and bust? Seems a lot of fans have forgotten points keep you up, not free flowing football that produces few scoring opportunities or goals. Surely that’s got to be a concern? That’s why I question GP, where’s the plan that works for the talent levels we do have at the club? All very well saying Rome wasn’t built in a day. My point is that football rarely gives you more than that, and a day is more like the timeline Rome burned down in than it took to build. Anyway, let’s stop all this Roman metaphorically-speaking because, frankly, what did the Romans ever do for us...?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
One man can save our season. Our only recognised EPL striker. Glenn. ****ing play him or **** off Potter.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Potter's main weakness is defending. Its park football at times. I'm often left shaking my head at some of our awful defending.

and yet we've conceded

1 more goal than Chelsea

same amount as Spurs

and 1 less than Arsenal

in fact when it comes to conceding goals

we'd be joint 8th in the league

I think the problem is at the other end of the pitch

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
No in answer to first question. And you’re missing the point which is whether we can afford to wait for this WIP malarky, which would appear to be taking us down because we don’t have the players capable of implementing it. So do we stick or bust? Or even stick and bust? Seems a lot of fans have forgotten points keep you up, not free flowing football that produces few scoring opportunities or goals. Surely that’s got to be a concern? That’s why I question GP, where’s the plan that works for the talent levels we do have at the club? All very well saying Rome wasn’t built in a day. My point is that football rarely gives you more than that, and a day is more like the timeline Rome burned down in than it took to build. Anyway, let’s stop all this Roman metaphorically-speaking because, frankly, what did the Romans ever do for us...?

what do you suggest?

management change (and who)

revert back to ugly football (2 banks of 4 on the 18 yard line)

a revolving door of managers who haven't cut it (or seemed) after 20 odd games til we find the right one?

I will agree with you, we need to create more clear cut chances for our forwards

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
could look at that another way

beaten Man Utd in the last 2 games at home

won & drawn with Arsenal

Liverpool (league wrapped up,will be concentrating on CL)

Man City (CL & FA Cup to win,not some two bob league game down by the seaside :lol:)

I would in no way say that’s a definite LLLL, but going into those needing points, would be desperate, TB’s huge PL investment and dream hanging like a thread. To be determined by how we fare against often superior opponents.

This plodding and sterile squad needs to find the form of earlier PL matches. I would say with new players coming in now, probably on loan.

It’s poker player’s TB’s call. He usually wins. He’d be the saddest supporter if we dropped, and it would cost him big time.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Should’ve reacted with Bissouma or Gross on for Connolly by the 50th minute.

It was obvious the tide had turned, they’d packed midfield and that Connolly was a spent force.

Instead GP did a Hughton, nothing. Painful to watch, it was obvious they were going to score.

Correct and they're shit.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Two shots on target. Awful decision making in the first half. Sitting back a la Hughton in the second. Total inabiilty to play thorugh the press. Not what has been promised up to now. Players, manager or off day?

Villa were shit and that was unforgivable from us.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Incredible how many points we've let slip this season and now find ourselves looking over our shoulders. As you rightly put they were shit.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm sure after all these opinions on here, Graham Potter is mulling over what he is going to do next, in picking the team up after Saturday's performance.
Remember he has signed a 6 year contract, I don't think that TB would've wasted his own time if he didn't want GP managing his team.
Perhaps worse case scenario, if the Albion are relegated, GP can bring us back up.
Things will come good :thumbsup:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The Connolly partnering Maupay business, was a flop.

Was it? We were winning one nil when he took off the second striker and we conceded with one up top. We also seemed to do ok at Arsenal with those two playing. One striker against Villas back three would have been a joke. In fact we only started looking ok again when he brought Murray on and back to 2 strikers..

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was it? We were winning one nil when he took off the second striker and we conceded with one up top. We also seemed to do ok at Arsenal with those two playing. One striker against Villas back three would have been a joke. In fact we only started looking ok again when he brought Murray on and back to 2 strikers..

I get where you’re coming from and we were the superior team in the first half, deserving our lead.

But imho Connolly couldn’t get into the match, everyone’s in agreement on that:
http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?377727-Connolly-not-up-to-it-yet/page6.

The first half superiority was built on Stephens, Propper, Trossard, Bernardo and Alzate all playing superbly.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I get where you’re coming from and we were the superior team in the first half, deserving our lead.

But imho Connolly couldn’t get into the match, everyone’s in agreement on that:
http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?377727-Connolly-not-up-to-it-yet/page6.

The first half superiority was built on Stephens, Propper, Trossard, Bernardo and Alzate all playing superbly.

Yes but I think we do look better when playing with two strikers and that pretty much means Maupay and Connoly with current squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here