Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
I think too many of us are still showing the bruises of a parting that one of the partners didn't want.

My view is that he moved us forward after Hughton ran out of ideas, transformed the playing style and raised our expectations. But while he took us to our highest finish at the time, he was slow to recognise the potential in such players as Ally Mac and Caicedo, and his shortcomings (one home win in the calendar year of 2020, three months without scoring at the Amex) were exposed by the results De Zerbi got from the same squad. His 'history lesson' comments got under our collective skin a bit too.

But he still has to be up there among our best-ever coaches/managers. Top five? Top ten probably.
Agree with much of that apart but Mac Allister wasn't great when he first came here - Potter still did play him a lot.

Took him a while to turn into the player that he became and Potter deserves credit for that as he does for Bissouma and various others who developed a lot under his coaching.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
At lot of what you've written there applies to RDZ too

Maybe (certainly as far as kicking a gift horse of an incredibly supportive club in the teeth) but I have been critical of RDZ too - I thought the way he ‘apparently’ spoke to our youngsters and publicly calling out their ineptitude , the unrealistic perfectionism he brought to the job creating a stressful environment for himself and others and blaming half a season of disastrous results on injuries without changing the game plan was foolish - IMO the numerous passive aggressive complaints about our recruitment policy was unacceptable and motivated by an effort to get the press and fans ‘on his side’ in an ongoing private battle he was having with TB.

However, unlike Potter, i think he is a naturally gifted man and one of the most forward thinking managers in the modern game - he clearly is all about the football and deeply passionate about his players. He took us to Europe and gave the Club and fans incredible hope that we could break through the glass ceiling. The football we played in his first season (with the same talented midfield Potter had ) was delicious to watch and awe inspiring - I think he was one of the best managers this club has ever had.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well I’d like to see him get the United job for a number of reasons and wanting him to crash and burn there is not one of them

I know a few United fans who’d be more than a little pissed off and I have been winding them up about him going there for a while now.
I am genuinely interested to see if he is capable of managing that poisoned chalice
If he thought Chelsea was high pressure it’ll take big balls to go to United, again interested to see if he’s got a big pair

Pissed me off big time when he left but I am struggling to keep slagging him off given how his leaving ended up in our best ever thrilling season and Europe

Truth be told I’d prefer Southgate to take the United job though as I reckon that would turn into a car crash very quickly
Surely Pardew is the best candidate. I don’t think I could wish that on Potter, Man U are almost unmanageable.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Maybe (certainly as far as kicking a gift horse of an incredibly supportive club in the teeth) but I have been critical of RDZ too - I thought the way he ‘apparently’ spoke to our youngsters and publicly calling out their ineptitude , the unrealistic perfectionism he brought to the job creating a stressful environment for himself and others and blaming half a season of disastrous results on injuries without changing the game plan was foolish - IMO the numerous passive aggressive complaints about our recruitment policy was unacceptable and motivated by an effort to get the press and fans ‘on his side’ in an ongoing private battle he was having with TB.

However, unlike Potter, i think he is a naturally gifted man and one of the most forward thinking managers in the modern game - he clearly is all about the football and deeply passionate about his players. He took us to Europe and gave the Club and fans incredible hope that we could break through the glass ceiling. The football we played in his first season (with the same talented midfield Potter had ) was delicious to watch and awe inspiring - I think he was one of the best managers this club has ever had.
Disagree that Potter is not a gifted coach or forward thinking.

Did you not notice some of the groundbreaking stuff he implemented with us?

RDZ's first year was amazing but Potter's last 20 or so games were also right up there with some of the best football we've seen - RDZ rode that wave when he took over. Potter already had that midfield purring.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Only because most other clubs would have sacked someone who delivered one home win in a calendar year
Alright, I hereby urge the Graham Potter Antichrist Association to increase their level of innovation in their warfare against the best manager in Brighton history, and the Cult fiercly defending his honour.

Common nonsense/shite arguments repeated about GP over and over:

1. "We only won one home game in a calendar year".
While this is true, Brighton played only a handful of games in front of a crowd in 2020. Why do people give a shit if the wins where at home or away when they couldn't go for the vast majority of them? It makes no sense. Because the roaming cows of Falmer should get a scent of victory? Or whats the deal - you were all at home by the TV for most part of the season.

The team was the 16th best in the league in the calendar year of 2020. The prediction from media before the 19/20 season was relegation, and the objective was to avoid it while rejuvenating the team and completely transforming the style of football. All of these objectives were met.

2. "It took two-three years and a world class midfield!"
Yes it took time to take a relegation candidate to the top 10, and it took clever signings that had be coached into performing in the Premier League, like everyone else. Three years to reach a target is not a long time.

A lot of these "world class players" has never looked as good as under Potter. Most of them were entirely unknown when arriving and plenty took a long way to adapt. But they improved and we improved and soon enough we had done jumps in the table some clubs could only dream about.

Would Manchester United take advancing seven league positions in three years while having a net transfer spend of £0m? Yes. So why isn't it good enough for Brighton?

If any of the relegation predicted teams this season would have been offered a top 10 position within 3 years, they would have taken it. So why was that not good enough in Brighton? It makes no sense. It took time, because it does take time to build a team.

3. "Graham Potter is evil because he said some fans might need a history lesson"
A frustrated Potter has seen Neal Maupay miss 32 chances against Leeds (subbing him off for Locadia as a way of saying 'Neal you're shite') and his team has worked their arses off in what was otherwise one of the best performances so far that season.

A couple of hundred people decide they want to boo and Graham Potter feel sorry for his non-Neal Maupay players and shortly after have a mic shoved up his face. Potter tries to tell the intelligensia in the crowd that things aren't that f***ing bad, just look in the history books and compare.
People then go apeshit over this act of frustration for four years because they are very, very snowflakey.

Meanwhile, everyone adored the guy who on a weekly basis couldn't stop himself from belittling and backtalking the club and making fun of how small it is. This was completely tolerated from everyone except Tony Bloom.

There is no logical reasoning why Graham Potter basically urging people not to boo their own team (because it isn't happening) is the worst thing anyone has ever done to mankind, especially not when things others say is just shrugged away as "language confusion" (the GB trademark).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Pissed me off big time when he left but I am struggling to keep slagging him off given how his leaving ended up in our best ever thrilling season and Europe
This, 100%. Yes, the manner of his leaving left us rightly pissed off - but that didn't change the fact that he left us in a great place, with the team purring like a Rolls Royce.

He was wrong about the fans needing a history lesson though - since his departure some of them have shown great ability to re-write it!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Alright, I hereby urge the Graham Potter Antichrist Association to increase their level of innovation in their warfare against the best manager in Brighton history, and the Cult fiercly defending his honour.

While this is true, Brighton played only a handful of games in front of a crowd in 2020. Why do people give a shit if the wins where at home or away when they couldn't go for the vast majority of them? It makes no sense. Because the roaming cows of Falmer should get a scent of victory? Or whats the deal - you were all at home by the TV for most part of the season.

The team was the 16th best in the league in the calendar year of 2020. The prediction from media before the 19/20 season was relegation, and the objective was to avoid it while rejuvenating the team and completely transforming the style of football. All of these objectives were met.

Yes it took time to take a relegation candidate to the top 10, and it took clever signings that had be coached into performing in the Premier League, like everyone else. Three years to reach a target is not a long time.

A lot of these "world class players" has never looked as good as under Potter. Most of them were entirely unknown when arriving and plenty took a long way to adapt. But they improved and we improved and soon enough we had done jumps in the table some clubs could only dream about.

Would Manchester United take advancing seven league positions in three years while having a net transfer spend of £0m? Yes. So why isn't it good enough for Brighton?

If any of the relegation predicted teams this season would have been offered a top 10 position within 3 years, they would have taken it. So why was that not good enough in Brighton? It makes no sense. It took time, because it does take time to build a team.

3. "Graham Potter is evil because he said some fans might need a history lesson"
A frustrated Potter has seen Neal Maupay miss 32 chances against Leeds (subbing him off for Locadia as a way of saying 'Neal you're shite') and his team has worked their arses off in what was otherwise one of the best performances so far that season.

A couple of hundred people decide they want to boo and Graham Potter feel sorry for his non-Neal Maupay players and shortly after have a mic shoved up his face. Potter tries to tell the intelligensia in the crowd that things aren't that f***ing bad, just look in the history books and compare.
People then go apeshit over this act of frustration for four years because they are very, very snowflakey.

Meanwhile, everyone adored the guy who on a weekly basis couldn't stop himself from belittling and backtalking the club and making fun of how small it is. This was completely tolerated from everyone except Tony Bloom.

There is no logical reasoning why Graham Potter basically urging people not to boo their own team (because it isn't happening) is the worst thing anyone has ever done to mankind, especially not when things others say is just shrugged away as "language confusion" (the GB trademark).
Oh good, a nice normal reply.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

Don’t you start re writing history - he did NOT say “just look at the history books and compare” he actually said “maybe I need a history lesson” which is much more inflamatory.

It didn’t bother me at the time because I disagreed with the booing after a game we had dominated but fair enough if some got the hump with him about it.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Don’t you start re writing history - he did NOT say “just look at the history books and compare” he actually said “maybe I need a history lesson” which is much more inflamatory.

It didn’t bother me at the time because I disagreed with the booing after a game we had dominated but fair enough if some got the hump with him about it.
OMG! OMG! Did he say “maybe I need a history lesson”!?! I can't believe it! Outrageos! Hooooly shit! Ohhh... I think I have to log out and go home now.

Edit: Not directed to you Flounce, just a general comment to those who think that is the worst thing they've ever heard.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
OMG! OMG! Did he say “maybe I need a history lesson”!?! I can't believe it! Outrageos! Hooooly shit! Ohhh... I think I have to log out and go home now.
Its not just that, maybe its his style, but he never gave off really that he appreciated the fans that much, he seemed a bit off about the whole thing, don't know whether thats just his personality, but personally, me and a lot of my mates, just never found him that interesting on a personal level, and the history lesson comment, sort of summed it up. See Steve Coopers response recently to fans booing in their game against Walsall, thats how I would have handled it.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

Edit: Not directed to you Flounce, just a general comment to those who think that is the worst thing they've ever heard.
There were many fans who were not GP fans by then, it was a stupid remark as he should have had the nous to realise it was the poor results that had brought this about. It was a bit daft to come out with that however frustrated he was, it really was a minority of fans who were booing.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Disagree that Potter is not a gifted coach or forward thinking.

Did you not notice some of the groundbreaking stuff he implemented with us?

RDZ's first year was amazing but Potter's last 20 or so games were also right up there with some of the best football we've seen - RDZ rode that wave when he took over. Potter already had that midfield purring.

I agree - as said I think Potter is a very good coach and he developed our game to a level we’d not yet seen but wouldn’t personally put him in the same league as De Zerbi who has inspired teams throughout Europe to follow in his footsteps - two of the best EPL managers in modern football rated him as a generational talent. Even our ex-Bundesliga 2 current manager has De Zerbi as one of his major influences.

Pep once said:

"Roberto is one of the most influential managers in the last 20 years”

I have already said Potter (building on what Hughton did for us) took us to new levels and said only a few posts up that we were doing really well and on a run of wins when he left.

I don’t think it should be a competition or a polarised discussion (which Hans Solo is always trying to push ott - if you can’t be 100% starry eyed about Potter then you must have an addled mind and be 100% against him). Both managers had their weaknesses - as most of us have noted ad nauseam on numerous threads and both had their strengths.

- I just enjoyed the inspirational style of football we were playing at peak De Zerbi more than the football we were playing at peak Potter.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Its not just that, maybe its his style, but he never gave off really that he appreciated the fans that much, he seemed a bit off about the whole thing, don't know whether thats just his personality, but personally, me and a lot of my mates, just never found him that interesting on a personal level, and the history lesson comment, sort of summed it up. See Steve Coopers response recently to fans booing in their game against Walsall, thats how I would have handled it.
Yes, I'm with you there, he is definitely a bit dull. He might not have the charisma and aura like some other managers, but that doesn't justify all that shit we can read here above. Peado teacher is one of the latest, and that history lesson, wow.

I think both Han Solo and I reacted a couple of days ago when it was said Potter would be in the studio. Can't speak for Han Solo but I think both of us thought it was a bit wierd and probably not the best forum for him. I guess TB saw something that many here didn't see when the team only got one win at home that year. And no one here would have said no thanks to that offer from Chelsh*te.

Haven't seen Cooper though, will try to find it later, cheers!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, I'm with you there, he is definitely a bit dull. He might not have the charisma and aura like some other managers, but that doesn't justify all that shit we can read here above. Peado teacher is one of the latest, and that history lesson, wow.

I think both Han Solo and I reacted a couple of days ago when it was said Potter would be in the studio. Can't speak for Han Solo but I think both of us thought it was a bit wierd and probably not the best forum for him. I guess TB saw something that many here didn't see when the team only got one win at home that year. And no one here would have said no thanks to that offer from Chelsh*te.

Haven't seen Cooper though, will try to find it later, cheers!
Agree to certain extent, but some people will probably just never like him and the way he left I still think was incredibly poorly handled, and his comments afterwards about us at Chelsea belittling. I don't particularly want him back at the club, and I think he's burnt his bridges (certainly with the fans).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here