Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
His greatest achievement in football management so far was to coach a mid table/lower half PL club to a finish one place above mid table. The list of managers that have achieved the same is as long as your arm even Bielsa managed it 🤣

Don’t get the hype, he got lucky once with the inexperienced yanks unhealthy obsession with mid table Brighton & made an incredible amount of money off the back of it, yet in reality he is a Palace level manager nothing more.
Let’s not forget that to get there he had a midfield four of Bissouma, Caicedo, Mac Allister and Mwepu.

Doubt we’ll ever have that strong a midfielder again, even if we get to the Champions League. A great CDM, two box to boxers and a World Cup winning 10.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Let’s not forget that to get there he had a midfield four of Bissouma, Caicedo, Mac Allister and Mwepu.

Doubt we’ll ever have that strong a midfielder again, even if we get to the Champions League. A great CDM, two box to boxers and a World Cup winning 10.
It looks good on paper, now, but imho Biss was way better than both Moises and AliMac at the time. Mwepu, well did he even start 20 games? With a proper striker, not Maupay or Connolly, i think the club would have finished a couple of places higher in the table.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

And a world-class talent in Mitoma that he rarely used other than as an impact sub

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Hasn’t RDZ proved if Potter had a better striker is a flawed theory?
I think some sort of combo of GP and RDZ would be best in the long run. Dont think the pressure on the players to score 2-3 goals every game just to get a draw is healthy. I guess most teams in EPL can score goals if they dont have to defend. Just hard to get the balance right I guess. A couple of more clean sheets would be fine if you ask me. It will be interesting to see what will happen the next couple of months when everyone is back from injuries. Think we’ll do fine!

Jul 20, 2003
Starting with the Palace bounce game in Sept 21 through to a 0-0 at Norwich in April 22 (28 games) we picked up 1 home win (Brentford), 2 away wins (Everton and Watford) and beat West Brom on the cup. The Norwich game followed a run of 6 defeats with 1 goal scored.

Earlier in his tenure there were runs of 1 win in 15 and 1 win in 17.

Obviously we're benefiting from work done during that time but would any 'normal' (i.e. somewhat dysfunctional) team accept any of that?

Palace dumped Vieira as soon as he had a bad run (12 games winless, admittedly pretty shit) but he'd done a decent job before.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Palace dumped Vieira as soon as he had a bad run (12 games winless, admittedly pretty shit) but he'd done a decent job before.
That 12 game run included 11 games against teams in the top 9. When Roy took over he had one game against the top 9 (they lost). I think most of us fully expected Vieira would have picked up the wins that Roy did once they got past that horrid run of fixtures.

Jul 20, 2003
That 12 game run included 11 games against teams in the top 9. When Roy took over he had one game against the top 9 (they lost). I think most of us fully expected Vieira would have picked up the wins that Roy did once they got past that horrid run of fixtures.

Yep. I have a mate who's a Palace fan who's still pissed off about that decision. I know this because I ask him about it every time I bump into him, sometimes repeatedly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Starting with the Palace bounce game in Sept 21 through to a 0-0 at Norwich in April 22 (28 games) we picked up 1 home win (Brentford), 2 away wins (Everton and Watford) and beat West Brom on the cup. The Norwich game followed a run of 6 defeats with 1 goal scored.

Earlier in his tenure there were runs of 1 win in 15 and 1 win in 17.

Obviously we're benefiting from work done during that time but would any 'normal' (i.e. somewhat dysfunctional) team accept any of that?

Yep, and here’s the team that broke the run. All four midfielders I mentioned plus Gross playing. Did the same thing at Spurs and North London was ours.

Now, that’s good coaching. Play your best players and create the overloads centrally. Spurs hated us doing it as we cut the supply to Kane high up. But one has to wonder what was going through his head in the previous ten games or so. Watching us at home before this run was excruciating.

IMG_1906.jpeg

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think some sort of combo of GP and RDZ would be best in the long run. Dont think the pressure on the players to score 2-3 goals every game just to get a draw is healthy. I guess most teams in EPL can score goals if they dont have to defend. Just hard to get the balance right I guess. A couple of more clean sheets would be fine if you ask me. It will be interesting to see what will happen the next couple of months when everyone is back from injuries. Think we’ll do fine!
We’ve suffered with injuries this season despite that we are still a win away from top six topped our Europa league group and just hammered Spurs. I’m not sure what you are trying to say.

Jul 20, 2003
Yep, and here’s the team that broke the run. All four midfielders I mentioned plus Gross playing. Did the same thing at Spurs and North London was ours.

Now, that’s good coaching. Play your best players and create the overloads centrally. Spurs hated us doing it as we cut the supply to Kane high up. But one has to wonder what was going through his head in the previous ten games or so. Watching us at home before this run was excruciating.

View attachment 173322

He wouldn't have that at Palace.

Or Man U.

Believe he was at Arsenal yesterday as his son supports arsenal. The press make some noise about it as Palace are struggling and who knows whether Potter is interested in the Palace job. It'll be a massive pay cut on his current severance pay from Chelsea(if he's still getting it of course?)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
He wouldn't have that at Palace.

Or Man U.
Yeah, exactly.

I honestly think Palace would be a terrible move for him. Hiding to nothing from day one with an average and thin squad, a mad boss in Beaky and twitchy ultras regarding him as a Brighton reject. Plus he’d have to change the style of play completely and some of them won’t get it.

Trigger would be on the way back if they went a long period without scoring, unlike us where he was more or less bullet proof.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe although it’s two completely different styles, Potters used to break down n the final third due to lack of bodies now we overload the final third when attacking.
I agree, but do you not accept, without Potter turning us away from a defensive orientated team, to a more offensive, RdZ’s job was already effectively underway and therefore less challenging than it would have been?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree, but do you not accept, without Potter turning us away from a defensive orientated team, to a more offensive, RdZ’s job was already effectively underway and therefore less challenging than it would have been?
Maybe somebody post-Hughton that wasn't Potter might have turned it around a lot quicker? We'll never know. But Potter's first two seasons were excrement. There's many a chairman that would have got rid without indulging him in a third season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here