Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Maupay spent very little time in the penalty area last night. He needs to get back to the basics - play in the penalty area where he's going to get himself chances and goals. We have plenty of players hanging around outside the box just looking to make a safe pass - what we need is someone in the penalty area to feed. The most thrust in the team came from White from right back, he was taking risks with the ball and trying to make something happen. Arguably there wasn't enough of that last night.

You can blame the pitch but the individuals needed to take more responsibility. I was very disappointed in Jahanbakhsh and Mac Allister last night. They weren't playing in positions they want to, but they had plenty of chances to get on the ball and make something happen in the game. They failed to do so and I was very disappointed by them both.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To answer the original poster's statement, no I don't believe Graham Potter is a terrible coach, just not a Premier League quality one.

To be fair to the guy, he's worked his way solidly up to where he is now, taken big risks to support his family and achieved mastery of the stepping-stone through a series of fairly bizarre appointments in the game. A bit like Ashworth really. Good luck to them both. Tho not necessarily here

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Headline: 'Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea'
Thrust of the article: Potter's team wasn't good at defending set pieces at Swansea'
Conspiracy theorists aren't very good at drawing accurate connections in the information they receive and process

The ol' venn diagram between the most turd threads on NSC, conspiracy theorists and people who can't spell "you're"/give threads accurate titles.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This!, you can perm any combination from Welbeck, Connelly, Maupay, Tau, Zeqiri - all very average at best and not one standout striker/finisher - we're heading towards the championship if we're relying on any of these to start scoring im afraid - not recruiting a decent striker is killing us along with piss poor setpiece defending

Maupay has been out of form this season, but he has still scored six league goals and is on target for double figures again. From teams in the bottom half, only Bamford at Leeds, Wilson at Newcastle and Zaha at Palace have scored more goals than Maupay this season. Looking at teams in the bottom half last season, only Ings at Southampton, Wood at Burnley and Pukki at Norwich scored more than him. Maupay is in his second season in the top division and is three to six years younger than all of those named.

You'll note that one player who scored more than Maupay last season played for the side that finished rock bottom. It is a myth that everyone else in the division has strikers who score more than ours do. It is a myth that having one striker who scores a lot of goals keeps you in the division. The current frustration is that our dominance in games doesn't lead to the number of goals it feels like it should. We also concede a lot of goals from not many chances. This suggests to me that the quality of the chances we create is poor and the quality of the chances we concede is good. Maupay and the others will miss chances, but this is no different to their peers playing for other teams in the top division who are fighting the odds.

We are actually the third highest scorers of the teams in the bottom half: Palace have scored 22 to our 21 and Leeds have scored 30. Everyone else has scored less. Burnley have scored only 9! The strikers will not get us relegated. Losing matches we should draw and drawing matches we should win will get us relegated. That responsibility is a team one. Karen Carney was right in saying that our game management is a big issue. What we are really crying out for is a leader on the pitch. We have a lot of good young technical players, but nobody who seems to know what to do to best nullify the threat from the opposition and to how to ensure that his teammates do it. Fans are crying out for a new Glenn Murray when we would probably be better off with a new Radostin Kishishev

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Maupay spent very little time in the penalty area last night. He needs to get back to the basics - play in the penalty area where he's going to get himself chances and goals. We have plenty of players hanging around outside the box just looking to make a safe pass - what we need is someone in the penalty area to feed. The most thrust in the team came from White from right back, he was taking risks with the ball and trying to make something happen. Arguably there wasn't enough of that last night.

You can blame the pitch but the individuals needed to take more responsibility. I was very disappointed in Jahanbakhsh and Mac Allister last night. They weren't playing in positions they want to, but they had plenty of chances to get on the ball and make something happen in the game. They failed to do so and I was very disappointed by them both.

On your first point, I thought he was playing in the right inside forward role and Zeqiri was the main man up top? That may explain why he wasn't in the box much until ET. That said, as a wider point, I don't think any of our front players spend enough time in the box.

On your second point, again, it's a wider problem. I made this point on another thread Jahanbakhsh, Mac Allister, Gross, Trossard are FAR too inconsistent and this is where I have sympathy for Potter. Trossard v Wolves was worlds apart from the indecisive and delicate shadow we saw last night. Maupay is the same. Some games he's awful, others he's such a handful. It's not like the tactics change, just the players ability to be consistent.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
To be fair to the guy, he's worked his way solidly up to where he is now, taken big risks to support his family and achieved mastery of the stepping-stone through a series of fairly bizarre appointments in the game. A bit like Ashworth really. Good luck to them both. Tho not necessarily here

Yes he has done very well for himself in the game, and he is doing as well as he can, but l think he has been fortunate in the extreme to suddenly find himeself as Head Coach of a team in the English Premier League.

Based almost entirely on success in that soccer outpost called Sweden, and a few performances, most notably against Arsenal, in the Europa League, before leading Swansea to mid table obscurity in the Chamipionship.

But with Tony Bloom extending that already lengthy contract, he has made it very difficult to sack him. I can see him remaining here beyond this season, whether or not we retain our Premier League place.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
On your first point, I thought he was playing in the right inside forward role and Zeqiri was the main man up top? That may explain why he wasn't in the box much until ET. That said, as a wider point, I don't think any of our front players spend enough time in the box.

On your second point, again, it's a wider problem. I made this point on another thread Jahanbakhsh, Mac Allister, Gross, Trossard are FAR too inconsistent and this is where I have sympathy for Potter. Trossard v Wolves was worlds apart from the indecisive and delicate shadow we saw last night. Maupay is the same. Some games he's awful, others he's such a handful. It's not like the tactics change, just the players ability to be consistent.

Frankly, who knows what any of them were doing. The shape was a pudding, players were popping up all over the place and that lack of regular pattern and rhythm is, in my opinion, a huge contributory factor to the lack of consistency in the players. I think that the lack of regular tactics and the constant chopping and changing of individuals is the reason why the players are unable to get themselves into a rhythm but there's only so much anyone can blame the manager. Ultimately, when the players are on the pitch they have to do better than they're doing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes he has done very well for himself in the game, and he is doing as well as he can, but l think he has been fortunate in the extreme to suddenly find himeself as Head Coach of a team in the English Premier League.

Based almost entirely on success in that soccer outpost called Sweden, and a few performances, most notably against Arsenal, in the Europa League, before leading Swansea to mid table obscurity in the Chamipionship.

But with Tony Bloom extending that already lengthy contract, he has made it very difficult to sack him. I can see him remaining here beyond this season, whether or not we retain our Premier League place.

Life is just so shit as an Albion fan these days isn’t it?

I have a number of friends/relatives who support other (bigger obviously) teams and all them think that Potter should be sacked. They don’t understand how he is still here. I bloody love the Albion and other teams fans complete incomprehension of us. In fact most of them suggested I support someone else when we were at the arse end of League 2. They’ll NEVER get it, I don’t think any of them have a clue how exciting it has been following this club

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Life is just so shit as an Albion fan these days isn’t it?

I have a number of friends/relatives who support other (bigger obviously) teams and all them think that Potter should be sacked. They don’t understand how he is still here. I bloody love the Albion and other teams fans complete incomprehension of us. In fact most of them suggested I support someone else when we were at the arse end of League 2. They’ll NEVER get it

If the worst comes to the worst and we get relegate, do you think Potter should still be here?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If the worst comes to the worst and we get relegate, do you think Potter should still be here?

Yes, as I have said since we went toe to toe with City at the Etihad last season. We have enough academy players to make a fist of it with the ones who won’t be going. I know we’ll never win feck all but Potter’s football philosophy excites me and I have had so many high and lows following this club, this is the best position we have ever been in. Do I want a Big Sam grinding out results with attritional football to keep us up? Nah. I realise that others feel completely differently. I do believe that Potter will oversee the best ever Albion results and have absolute faith in him but accept we may go backwards before we get there. I hope we don’t go down obviously, but could I live with it, hell yeah.

Is there someone better out there? Of course there is but they won’t come to the Albion as we are at the moment.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maupay has been out of form this season, but he has still scored six league goals and is on target for double figures again. From teams in the bottom half, only Bamford at Leeds, Wilson at Newcastle and Zaha at Palace have scored more goals than Maupay this season. Looking at teams in the bottom half last season, only Ings at Southampton, Wood at Burnley and Pukki at Norwich scored more than him. Maupay is in his second season in the top division and is three to six years younger than all of those named.

You'll note that one player who scored more than Maupay last season played for the side that finished rock bottom. It is a myth that everyone else in the division has strikers who score more than ours do. It is a myth that having one striker who scores a lot of goals keeps you in the division. The current frustration is that our dominance in games doesn't lead to the number of goals it feels like it should. We also concede a lot of goals from not many chances. This suggests to me that the quality of the chances we create is poor and the quality of the chances we concede is good. Maupay and the others will miss chances, but this is no different to their peers playing for other teams in the top division who are fighting the odds.

We are actually the third highest scorers of the teams in the bottom half: Palace have scored 22 to our 21 and Leeds have scored 30. Everyone else has scored less. Burnley have scored only 9! The strikers will not get us relegated. Losing matches we should draw and drawing matches we should win will get us relegated. That responsibility is a team one. Karen Carney was right in saying that our game management is a big issue. What we are really crying out for is a leader on the pitch. We have a lot of good young technical players, but nobody who seems to know what to do to best nullify the threat from the opposition and to how to ensure that his teammates do it. Fans are crying out for a new Glenn Murray when we would probably be better off with a new Radostin Kishishev

Yet another top post Stato. Keep them coming :thumbsup:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yes, as I have said since we went toe to toe with City at the Etihad last season. We have enough academy players to make a fist of it with the ones who won’t be going. I know we’ll never win feck all but Potter’s football philosophy excites me and I have had so many high and lows following this club, this is the best position we have ever been in. Do I want a Big Sam grinding out results with attritional football to keep us up? Nah. I realise that others feel completely differently. I do believe that Potter will oversee the best ever Albion results and have absolute faith in him but accept we may go backwards before we get there. I hope we don’t go down obviously, but could I live with it, hell yeah.

Is Graham Potter the only person in the world who can do this? I accept that one day we will get relegated but I don't think we should just sit back and let it happen without trying to stay up.

We are hard to beat, but I can't see where the next win comes from. I have no hesitation in predicting we will loose to Man City and draw with Leeds and Fulham and thats the problem, I should be believing we can beat the Leeds and Fulhams of the Premier League.

We all know how hard it is to get out of the Championship, going down in the middle of a pandemic makes it even harder.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I consider myself to be very fortunate watching my beloved club competing in the Premier League, something l never even contemplated could ever happen whilst seeing us retain out Football league status that amazing afternoon in Hereford.

We need to realise how lucky we are at the moment, as l'm afraid we have no divine right to grace football's top table. As l have said on many previous occasions, l can only ever see us being a yo-yo club, playing in the Premier League maybe for a few years, before an inevitable return to the Championship for a while, to lick our wounds and rebuild.

Bearing that in mind, and considering our lack of rescouces, l would rather take the, (l hate to admit it), Palace approach, of offering single year contracts to older more experienced players, mostly with proven senior experience, than overloading our squad with younger largely unproven stars of the future.

I fully realise the value of having an Academy, and hope that eventually one or two quality players make it through, but think that we have to plan for now, rather than gamble everything on what might, or might not, happen in the future.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is Graham Potter the only person in the world who can do this? I accept that one day we will get relegated but I don't think we should just sit back and let it happen without trying to stay up.

We are hard to beat, but I can't see where the next win comes from. I have no hesitation in predicting we will loose to Man City and draw with Leeds and Fulham and thats the problem, I should be believing we can beat the Leeds and Fulhams of the Premier League.

We all know how hard it is to get out of the Championship, going down in the middle of a pandemic makes it even harder.

I agree, but I haven’t heard a single suggestion about a replacement who inspires me. It goes beyond just staying up for me. We could run with a CH style manager but that is a backward step long term imo. There are no “modern” managers available who could improve on GP as far as I can see. A knee jerk “get a new manager” is 100% not the solution.

If you can give me your suggestion we can discuss it? Please don’t tell me it’s not your job, if you want GP gone you need to have a suggestion on who replaces him, not just say not my job. Well imo anyway

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Is there someone better out there? Of course there is but they won’t come to the Albion as we are at the moment.
How do you know that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here