Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's a joke.

I saw this coming months ago. Half of you lot calling for his head now were slagging me of for daring to point out where we are heading.

Oddly and despite ALL the evidence to the contrary I still think (more out of hope than expectation) that the good digs will end up smoking the cigars.

We's a good young team, with seemingly more good young players up its sleeve.

The pieces will come together.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Saw someone post this on Twitter and lo and behold Swansea were the worst team in the Championship at defending set pieces when Potter was there. It’s clearly a huge weakness in his ability. Even Swans players saying how much they improved immediately when he left. The guy hasn’t got a clue when it comes to defending and the results it’s led to have sucked the joy and belief from our squad. The guy needs to go urgently.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...-under-17446895.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Headline: 'Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea'
Thrust of the article: Potter's team wasn't good at defending set pieces at Swansea'
Conspiracy theorists aren't very good at drawing accurate connections in the information they receive and process

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thrust of the article: Potter's team wasn't good at defending set pieces at Swansea'
Conspiracy theorists aren't very good at drawing accurate connections in the information they receive and process

You just need to look at who the OP is ...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji106]

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Saw someone post this on Twitter and lo and behold Swansea were the worst team in the Championship at defending set pieces when Potter was there. It’s clearly a huge weakness in his ability. Even Swans players saying how much they improved immediately when he left. The guy hasn’t got a clue when it comes to defending and the results it’s led to have sucked the joy and belief from our squad. The guy needs to go urgently.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...-under-17446895.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Nothing new there. If all that needed correcting was defending set pieces after he massively improved and made a team out of kids, then well done Potter. I'm sure McBurney and the lad now at Man U were grateful for his input. Sure, we also need to improve at set pieces, but Potter ain't going anywhere.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Correct.

I trust Tony Bloom and everyone at the club. Not a few moaners on NSC who want the manager out after a less than good result.

That's not true. He won 5 games in 2020, yet to win a game in 2021. We haven't turned the corner yet. I want him to succeed but until he turns that corner I have the right to doubt his ability to get us out of this situation.

At least this time we made it through to the next round of the F.A cup.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
That's not true. He won 5 games in 2020, yet to win a game in 2021. We haven't turned the corner yet. I want him to succeed but until he turns that corner I have the right to doubt his ability to get us out of this situation.

At least this time we made it through to the next round of the F.A cup.

“yet to win a game in 2021”

You mean in all 11 days of the new year? Come on.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
I think its a really key point to remember, that Potter wasn't just appointed to play attacking football, but to develop a side blended with players from the academy. That hasn't changed, that is a priority for the club. If Potter was removed, a new appointment would also have that as a remit. Personally I think Potter is the right manager to continue bring those players through and building the side. The building blocks are all there, we just need to be patient and keep faith.

Of course we'd all like a few more wins/goals/clean sheets/error free performances, but this is spot on. We are top of the PL charts for use of home grown players and are evidently an attractive club for young players at other clubs. This is much more likely to be a successful long term strategy for BHA in the PL and, if it comes to it, the Championship than changing manager once or twice a season or splashing serious cash on transfers.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Rubbish.
He played a strong team at Newport because HE was desperate for a win, any win. You could see it in his body language. He was on edge, tight, racked with tension all game. He couldn't watch at times. He is feeling the pressure that managing an underperforming squad brings. He still didn't beat a League Two side over 120 mins and was rescued by an extraordinary goalkeeping performance in the penalty shootout. Three of his first team regulars carried their onfield shooting ability into the shootout and he was rescued by two CB's and the goalkeeper.
He banked on a solid win to take into the next few PL games. He knows a solid defeat looms at City but he had no choice last night. He is without three of his star men and it was a chance for the fringe players to shine. That they didn't was down to an appalling pitch,a multitude of poor passes all nigh poor finishing and fine goalkeeping. Last night answered very few questions. We, at least got a glimpse of Percy Tau, who will fit in well, looking decent in link-up/build-up and showing no goalscoring aptitude whatsoever.
We know one or two things about Potter. He is clearly, not a good tactician from set pieces ( a vital part of the game ) He is pretty set in his ways. i.e We will play the same way, almost always, irrespective of circumstances. This is fine, if played with pace and accuracy. Anything less and it descends into a rather tedious, possession based display with no end product.
What we still don't know is how much he can adapt and learn. Time will tell.

I wonder whether he fielded a strong side to expose the obvious weaknesses in it to Bloom and everyone else.

If he was looking to build confidence for the likes of Maupay and Trossard, it failed.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
“yet to win a game in 2021”

You mean in all 11 days of the new year? Come on.

I mean a game against Newport County with a strong team. We need to get that first win to start to build our confidence. I get that Newport often does well against teams higher up the league, but its still not a win.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Given the shitness of finishing does anyone know our best combination?

This!, you can perm any combination from Welbeck, Connelly, Maupay, Tau, Zeqiri - all very average at best and not one standout striker/finisher - we're heading towards the championship if we're relying on any of these to start scoring im afraid - not recruiting a decent striker is killing us along with piss poor setpiece defending

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This!, you can perm any combination from Welbeck, Connelly, Maupay, Tau, Zeqiri - all very average at best and not one standout striker/finisher - we're heading towards the championship if we're relying on any of these to start scoring im afraid - not recruiting a decent striker is killing us along with piss poor setpiece defending

Yesterday I saw pretty much everyone deliver a god cross, even Bernardo. we have been pissing around on ebay and car boot sales for our strikers for years.

The accademy needs to up its game a bit, and it will take time to come to fruition, but players with a killer instinct to win have been thin on the ground for too long.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Yep. Embarrassing from the op.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I wonder whether he fielded a strong side to expose the obvious weaknesses in it to Bloom and everyone else.

If he was looking to build confidence for the likes of Maupay and Trossard, it failed.

I think we were looking for positive contributions from key fringe players like Ali J....Mac...Zeqiri....and a first real look at Percy T. None were particularly convincing and those players, seemingly lacking confidence, i.e Maupay and Trossard, have clearly not regained it. All this still leaves us with a striking/scoring issue as we look like having to depend on these two over the next few games.
Last night only went to show how much we are missing the dynamism of Lamptey, the craft of Lallana and the clever running of Welbeck. Propper has looked solid on his return and we can build midfield around him and Biss. Not one of those ' fringe ' players made any sort of impact last night, which suggests we still lack depth in the squad and will still struggle to score goals.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

That is very harsh on Welbeck.
The man is a class apart from the others. Runs well into space, can pull defenders out of position and wouldn't have played over 40 times for England if he was bang average. He needs a direct, confident striker alongside him, to complement a partnership. An in form Maupay might work but all the time he is way off his game, it won't. Welbeck will get 6-8 goals in the season. We need 4-5 from Connelly and 12-15 from a main man.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Tau and Zeqiri have only been here for five minutes. We've only ever seen Tau play half a game in a ploughed field in Wales. He already looks a better buy than DJ Locadia

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
To answer the original poster's statement, no I don't believe Graham Potter is a terrible coach, just not a Premier League quality one.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tau and Zeqiri have only been here for five minutes. We've only ever seen Tau play half a game in a ploughed field in Wales. He already looks a better buy than DJ Locadia

We won't know how good Tau is, until we have seen him play a good few games, on a ploughed field or otherwise.

NSC is full of people who like to form instant opinions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here