Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Chelsea seem to be backing him, so why doesn't he just bin off the players he doesn't want to the reserves.
No such thing as "reserves" any more so the only game time non 1st XI players get is during training, but if you're not in the first 22 you don't even get a game in the in house practice match. Chelsea have done themselves no favours. Maybe Potter should have swapped a bit of emotional intelligence for some common sense, unless he is just motivated by cash.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's quite funny if he did turn down Spurs, he would have been given more time and patience than the other top 6 jobs, he was most suited to Spurs.

Reportedly he didn't want to work with Levy, think he just bottled it.
Lucky sliding doors for you.

Your crowd might’ve been tough on Potter. 0-0’s and 0-1’s when you have a (sometimes interrupted … George Graham, Nuno) interest in attacking football.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No such thing as "reserves" any more so the only game time non 1st XI players get is during training, but if you're not in the first 22 you don't even get a game in the in house practice match. Chelsea have done themselves no favours. Maybe Potter should have swapped a bit of emotional intelligence for some common sense, unless he is just motivated by cash.
Drop to u23s, point is just isolate them.

I don't think he knows what he's doing though.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Lucky sliding doors for you.

Your crowd might’ve been tough on Potter. 0-0’s and 0-1’s when you have a (sometimes interrupted … George Graham, Nuno) interest in attacking football.
I think as long as there was progress it would have been ok, he wouldn't have had the million player issue either.

Mopo lost some shockers in his first season, think Stoke did the double over us from memory, whilst there will also be an element of fans on the managers back from day one, I don't recall any real pressure.

I've pointed out before, I was never completely sold on him, just something about him makes me think he would great on the players

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think as long as there was progress it would have been ok, he wouldn't have had the million player issue either.

Mopo lost some shockers in his first season, think Stoke did the double over us from memory, whilst there will also be an element of fans on the managers back from day one, I don't recall any real pressure.

I've pointed out before, I was never completely sold on him, just something about him makes me think he would great on the players
I have two lots of Spurs friends, one since we were both 10!

The WHL season ticket holder is very loyal, he takes the p out of fightingcock (not his thing) with the moaners and he can’t stop laughing at the haters eg the anti Liverpool thread etc.

He reckons the turning point was the CL final. He can’t forgive the team selection with a half fit Kane.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Chelsea seem to be backing him, so why doesn't he just bin off the players he doesn't want to the reserves.

This is the big thing I really don't understand.
You know your chairman is backing you both in terms of giving you time and bringing players in.
You have too many players.
All he needs to do is identify 24/25 players from the 30 odd that he wants around. And with a combination of binning off one or two of the older players, and asking a couple of younger players to bide time their in the 23s until the summer, it's done. And you can do that in a nice, Potteresque way.
Is that really that difficult?
Feels like he just doesn't know who to play, maybe he's intimidated slightly by older players, whatever it is it really isn't showing his squad management skills in a very good light.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Seeing as PL2 rules allow for 1 goalkeeper and up to 5 over age outfield players to play in each game they'd still get some game time if the manager so wished. But if they are that far out of favour that they can't even train with the first team squad I don't think that would be a priority.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I have two lots of Spurs friends, one since we were both 10!

The WHL season ticket holder is very loyal, he takes the p out of fightingcock (not his thing) with the moaners and he can’t stop laughing at the haters eg the anti Liverpool thread etc.

He reckons the turning point was the CL final. He can’t forgive the team selection with a half fit Kane.
Fighting cock is ridiculous, couple of the others are reasonable.

All during the build up he was talking about leaving as well.

Moura should have started that game, for sure - but Kane was a favourite.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Send established first team players to the "reserves" (yoof) = get the PFA up your arse, and you're done.

Absolutely not, where did you even get this from?

As long as you are paying them and treating them with respect eg we don't see you in our plans and not blocking moves, the PFA won't care.

It happens in most teams up and down the country numerous times a season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely not, where did you even get this from?

As long as you are paying them and treating them with respect eg we don't see you in our plans and not blocking moves, the PFA won't care.

It happens in most teams up and down the country numerous times a season.
The PFA might put their nose in, but with players on full pay, would be powerless. Didn’t Arse do this to Ozil and/or someone else when they were trying to squeeze out ‘disrupters’?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Chelsea have played 15 games since Nov 6th and scored 6 goals. The lowest in all four divisions.
If any in depth study of Potter at Brighton had been done, then they would have realised what to expect. Exactly the same thing happened here. Long winless, non scoring runs, interspersed with improved form/confidence and a few more goals. No long term consistency.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea have played 15 games since Nov 6th and scored 6 goals. The lowest in all four divisions.
If any in depth study of Potter at Brighton had been done, then they would have realised what to expect. Exactly the same thing happened here. Long winless, non scoring runs, interspersed with improved form/confidence and a few more goals. No long term consistency.
Whatever the results the players certainly bought into Potterball, do the Chelsea superstars and Prima Donnas, if they don’t he is toast, either now or next season if they stick with him

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Certainly both are true. However that doesn’t mean there is correlation. For a clearer pattern we would need Potter to go somewhere else to see what happens. Just in the interests of proper data analysis. I’m going to suggest Palace.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Certainly both are true. However that doesn’t mean there is correlation. For a clearer pattern we would need Potter to go somewhere else to see what happens. Just in the interests of proper data analysis. I’m going to suggest Palace.
I suspect that you are not a real Brighton fan, you want Potter to go to Palace? Can you imagine the meltdown on here if he did and they turned us over playing good football? :lolol:

Anywhere BUT Palace for me

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do we now need GPott to pick up a few, inconsequential, wins through March?

Taking 3 points off The Leeds wouldn't be the worst thing to happen this weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here