Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential player targets for Hyypia....

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Don't be surprised to see a few Liverpool reserves joining us. Andre Wisdom, Jordan Ibe etc

This is interesting...

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...ner-after-hyypias-move-to/&utm_source=Twitter

The article says that Rodgers, with Hyypia now at Brighton, has an obvious supply line to the championship, and basically an outlet to loan players.

But wasn't he manager of reading? Wouldn't they be an outlet too ? Can't think of any players they loaned them so why would liverpool all of a sudden be rushing to loan us their young prospects ?

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
As mentioned on another thread John Arne Riise could be a great replacement for Ward at LB.

Looking at the Finland national squad that recently played in the Baltic Cup, Riku Riski looks an exciting midfielder from Rosenborg whilst the goalkeeper Niki Maenpaa could also be a useful addition.

What are your thoughts NSC?

I am hoping Ward will re/sign or am I being deluded ?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
The article says that Rodgers, with Hyypia now at Brighton, has an obvious supply line to the championship, and basically an outlet to loan players.

But wasn't he manager of reading? Wouldn't they be an outlet too ? Can't think of any players they loaned them so why would liverpool all of a sudden be rushing to loan us their young prospects ?
What when we sacked his son?

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Ward is a definite for me as is Sidwell if we could pursuade him, and i'd also like to see Hangeland. If Wood is subject to just over a 1 million bid from Wolves i'd get him back in also for that price.
Keeper wise i'd look at Speroni, Butland or Johnstone (Man U) on seaon loan.
Would like to see Noone back if Cardiff make him surplus to requirements.
I thought the youngster Hoskins at Yeovil looked very good against us.

I'd let Ankergren and Bruno and Buckley go. I'd sell Ulloa for 6m.

I'd have Walton on the bench and involved in all cup games.

GK Speroni, Butland, Johnstone (Players of this ilk)
RB Calderon / Chicksen
CB Greer / Dunk
CB Hangeland / ?
LB Ward / ?
RM Lua Lua / ?
CM Crofts / Ince
CM Sidwell / Stephens
LM Noone / March
CF Mackail Smith / Hoskins (Yeovil) Yesil (Liverpool on loan)
CF Wood / Zamora / May (SPL Player)

I agree about getting Ward back and would love to see Noone return

May, the St Johnstone striker is good. Rotherham have already bid a million for him but that should be no contest

I agree about selling Ulloa and we should take whatever anyone is stupid enough to pay for him over £3 million

I would keep Bruno and Buckley though

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What when we sacked his son?

Sacked, or just chose not to renew his contract which had expired, owing to his having shown little prospect of ever making it as a first team footballer at this level?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Sacked, or just chose not to renew his contract which had expired, owing to his having shown little prospect of ever making it as a first team footballer at this level?

Whatever you want to call it we got rid of him, so would that make you want to help the club that did that to your son, when there are so many other clubs you could lend players to?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whatever you want to call it we got rid of him, so would that want you to help the club that did that to your son?

Chelsea got rid of Anton too, but I notice Brendan still felt able to borrow Victor Moses.

I just think you're making something out of nothing here. Football's a tough business. Liverpool aren't going to refuse to deal with the Albion because Brendan Rodgers' son isn't good enough to make it with us.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Chelsea got rid of Anton too, but I notice Brendan still felt able to borrow Victor Moses.

I just think you're making something out of nothing here. Football's a tough business. Liverpool aren't going to refuse to deal with the Albion because Brendan Rodgers' son isn't good enough to make it with us.

Brendan borrowed from Chelsea he didn't loan them players or have I missed your point?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Whatever you want to call it we got rid of him, so would that make you want to help the club that did that to your son, when there are so many other clubs you could lend players to?

Premier League clubs don't lend to other clubs to "help them out". They loan their players to get competitive match experience which they can't provide themselves. Often the loaning club pays the wages and has to agree to start the player in every game. If Liverpool feel it is in their interests to give some young/fringe players experience in a competitive league like the championship then we would have as much chance as anyone, possibly more because of Sami's links and contacts within the club

bhafc1972

Banned
Jun 2, 2014
I think we can all assume that none of us have any ideas who the new managers transfer targets will be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
give up, mate, you're on a loser. Don't think Anton's leaving us will have any bearing on loans.....:hilton:

Exactly. Like 100's of footballers each Summer, Anton Rodgers was simply released as he was deemed not to good enough for us or likely to be any time soon, at that stage. It was not a 'sacking', either legally or colloquially, and I'm sure Brendan Rodgers thinks no ill of the Albion.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

We looked after Anton through a long and difficult legal case.
Think overall we did okay by him.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But we all know It will be Burke who will bring them In. Won't be any different than when OsCAR was In charge.

Nathan Jones had considerable impact on loan choices. Oscar would have had too if his choices had been realistic (according to Tony Bloom).
Why would Sami have less?
The reports of a special relationship appear to come from their end rather than being our fans' wishful thinking,

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we have about 16 players, so nine signings needed which could include Bruno (RB) and Stephen Ward (LB) but might not.

Checked: 18 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighto...#Current_squad but one might not be up to it + 17. Bruno is listed so he may have signed a new contract? Stephen Ward not expected to sign now? We have two duff left backs.

????
Bruno ???? Greer ????
???? Stephens/Crofts Forster-Caskey/Agustien
Buckley Ulloa LuaLua

Subs: Ankergen, March, Mackail-Smith, Ince, Dunk, Toko, Calderón = 16

Left back at home: Maksimenko, Chicksen = 18

The four ???? were Kuszczak, Bridcutt/Andrews, Upson, Stephen Ward

Other departures: López (replaced by youngster Solly March), Orlandi (replaced by Forster-Caskey), Hoskins (cover for Mackail-Smith, not replaced), Rodríguez (temporary replacement for the injured Mackail-Smith in turn replaced by Lingard).

No cover at defensive midfield or covering central defender. (finally told in the away play-off match at Derby).

Six signings must be:

Keeper
Defensive midfield
Stopper centre half
Covering central defender (maybe just cover for Greer)
Attacking midfielder
Central midfielder

and maybe

Left Back (as the current two are not up to it)
Spare striker
Another keeper

I usually trust Managers to choose a decent player in their favoured position. So I am looking forward to the new central defender! I wonder how Sami will see the role of Rohan Ince?

I want us to sign Stephen Ward (left back) if we can afford him with competition from Premiership clubs. He could make do a temporary striker as well.

Key: whether Forster-Caskey can improve to make him up to it. He has the same lightweight build as Will Hughes but without that 20% extra skill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here