Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential player targets for Hyypia....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Personally I would be surprised if Hyypiä didn´t go for Niki Mäenpää, if indeed the team is in need of a goalkeeper. Sami knows a few important things about Niki and his situation: first of all, Sami knows what Niki is capable of. Sami used to be part of the national team coaching staff and still has a very good connection with national team head coach Mixu Paatelainen. Niki has played some great games for Finland, most notably against Spain in Gijon a bit over a year ago. Sami also knows that Mäenpää is currently playing in a team and division that are in no way matching his quality and ambition. He knows that Niki will be cheap and VVV-Venlo can´t keep him.

If you are interested, you can find extended highlights of that Spain - Finland game on youtube.

Agree 100% that's why I mentioned him in the initial post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Obika, Lita, and Andrews!?

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Hell probably bring in a bunch of Hun journeymen or some reindeer worriers from Lapland.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Andre Wisdom on a season long loan from Liverpool ? Brendan Rogers might want to send him to us rather than back to Derby again.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Ward is a definite for me as is Sidwell if we could pursuade him, and i'd also like to see Hangeland. If Wood is subject to just over a 1 million bid from Wolves i'd get him back in also for that price.
Keeper wise i'd look at Speroni, Butland or Johnstone (Man U) on seaon loan.
Would like to see Noone back if Cardiff make him surplus to requirements.
I thought the youngster Hoskins at Yeovil looked very good against us.

I'd let Ankergren and Bruno and Buckley go. I'd sell Ulloa for 6m.

I'd have Walton on the bench and involved in all cup games.

GK Speroni, Butland, Johnstone (Players of this ilk)
RB Calderon / Chicksen
CB Greer / Dunk
CB Hangeland / ?
LB Ward / ?
RM Lua Lua / ?
CM Crofts / Ince
CM Sidwell / Stephens
LM Noone / March
CF Mackail Smith / Hoskins (Yeovil) Yesil (Liverpool on loan)
CF Wood / Zamora / May (SPL Player)

Chicksen as LB as Ward's replacement?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The man who falls over at the SLIGHTEST touch ?

SAMMY will tell OOJOAH to MAN UP if he wants to FINNISH at the top instead of PONCING around like a Flairista.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Ward is a definite for me as is Sidwell if we could pursuade him, and i'd also like to see Hangeland. If Wood is subject to just over a 1 million bid from Wolves i'd get him back in also for that price.
Keeper wise i'd look at Speroni, Butland or Johnstone (Man U) on seaon loan.
Would like to see Noone back if Cardiff make him surplus to requirements.
I thought the youngster Hoskins at Yeovil looked very good against us.

I'd let Ankergren and Bruno and Buckley go. I'd sell Ulloa for 6m.

I'd have Walton on the bench and involved in all cup games.

GK Speroni, Butland, Johnstone (Players of this ilk)
RB Calderon / Chicksen
CB Greer / Dunk
CB Hangeland / ?
LB Ward / ?
RM Lua Lua / ?
CM Crofts / Ince
CM Sidwell / Stephens
LM Noone / March
CF Mackail Smith / Hoskins (Yeovil) Yesil (Liverpool on loan)
CF Wood / Zamora / May (SPL Player)

glaring omission is the Congo lad we signed from Switzerland......also would not be overconfident re Greer/Dunk . Have a feeling the whole squad will take on a new look, which, in my opinion, is well overdue.
Before you ask me to name potential newcomers, not my job.

strand

Jun 3, 2014
Here are my choices of Finnish talent that Sami might bring.

GK: Niki Mäenpää (VVV Venlo). Has been Finland's first goalkeeper for while, but I think is losing place to Hradecky. Good keeper, would come cheap from Venlo in Dutch 2nd league. Is expected to change club this summer. Easily enough for Championship level.
GK: Lukas Hradecky (Brondby). Too expensive for Brighton? Denmark's league's best goalkeeper for two years in a row. Very strong in everything that's needed from goalkeeper.
GK: Anssi Jaakkola (Ajax Cape Town). Has been best keeper in South Africa's league this year. A wild card, but I think his futures is still in some very good leagues. Just needed game time which he got this season.

CB: Tero Mäntylä (Ludogorets). Already rumored to come to Brighton since April. Young CB who has been strong in Bulgaria's best team and Europa League. Will still get a lot better. The most likely Finnish candidate to come to Brighton in my opinion. Finnish international since March.
CB: Juhani Ojala (Terek). Big role in Russian league. Good aerial presence, strong in duels. Will still develop, he's 24. Played also in Switzerland already. Finnish international for a long time.

LB: Gideon Baah (HJK). A good LB from Ghana, has been great in Finnish club HJK this year. Still young, has potential for even better things than Brighton.

MF: Perparim Hetemaj (Chievo). Is moving to new club this summer, I think he said playing in England is a dream. Most likely stays in Serie A. Hard worker, most fouls from all top 5 league players last season. Would be a SUPER signing. Finnish international, one of our key players. Free agent.
MF: Alexander Ring (Kaiserslautern). They couldn't get promoted to Bundesliga so it's no wonder if Ring moves somewhere. Would also fit Championship style football well, just like Hetemaj. Physical player with good technique. Also one of Finland's key players for years. He would cost something.
MF: Alexei Eremenko Junior (Kilmanrock). Probably not enough for this level, he's also a wildcard at this time. But would be theoretically possible. In January there was reported interest from Championship clubs before he joined Kilmarnock on short six month deal. Now he negotiates with Kilmarnock, is free agent. When he's fit and things are working, he can be great in Brighton. Has lost his place in national team but can still come back.
MF: Rasmus Schuller (HJK). Finland's league's best midfielder, or one of them. Also in the national team regularly from the Finnish league, which is a good feat already. Is likely to move abroad this summer.

ST: Eero Markkanen (AIK). Probably the only Finnish striker I can think of that Hyypiä could sign. Young player who has come from the Finnish Kolmonen or fourth tier to Finland's top team HJK and now to one of Sweden's top teams AIK in just few years. Almost 2 meters long, very strong, and has been making fun of the Allsvenskan defenses this season. I can imagine AIK placing him a big price tag already. Debuted in national team last week. 22 years old, called Finland's Zlatan already. Huge phenomenon in Sweden now. Check some goals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yka45yo4K64

ST: Kasper Hämäläinen (Lech Poznan). One of Poland's best players for long time now. 9 goals 11 assists this year. Is not cheap as one of Lech Poznan's key players. He plays well the 10 position, striker, or even winger.

ST: Teemu Pukki (Celtic). Is also possibility, maybe on a loan deal. His playing style doesn't fit Scottish league (not sure if it fits Championship but probably better). Otherwise he is a good enough player for this level, was great in Schalke before going to Celtic. COuldn't get opening place but scored very effectively when in the field. Finland's number one national team striker since a long time, two weeks ago two goals against Czech Republic.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Shouldn't the thread be called Potential player targets for Burke this year?

Yes it should and I would love to know who the database makes as our top three targets for each position, based on the club budget and what we can afford in wages.
I think if published it would put paid to the many fantasy signings that get mentioned on here.

Also you would have to ask if they are Sami targets, are they available or affordable?

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Here are my choices of Finnish talent that Sami might bring.

GK: Niki Mäenpää (VVV Venlo). Has been Finland's first goalkeeper for while, but I think is losing place to Hradecky. Good keeper, would come cheap from Venlo in Dutch 2nd league. Is expected to change club this summer. Easily enough for Championship level.
GK: Lukas Hradecky (Brondby). Too expensive for Brighton? Denmark's league's best goalkeeper for two years in a row. Very strong in everything that's needed from goalkeeper.
GK: Anssi Jaakkola (Ajax Cape Town). Has been best keeper in South Africa's league this year. A wild card, but I think his futures is still in some very good leagues. Just needed game time which he got this season.

CB: Tero Mäntylä (Ludogorets). Already rumored to come to Brighton since April. Young CB who has been strong in Bulgaria's best team and Europa League. Will still get a lot better. The most likely Finnish candidate to come to Brighton in my opinion. Finnish international since March.
CB: Juhani Ojala (Terek). Big role in Russian league. Good aerial presence, strong in duels. Will still develop, he's 24. Played also in Switzerland already. Finnish international for a long time.

LB: Gideon Baah (HJK). A good LB from Ghana, has been great in Finnish club HJK this year. Still young, has potential for even better things than Brighton.

MF: Perparim Hetemaj (Chievo). Is moving to new club this summer, I think he said playing in England is a dream. Most likely stays in Serie A. Hard worker, most fouls from all top 5 league players last season. Would be a SUPER signing. Finnish international, one of our key players. Free agent.
MF: Alexander Ring (Kaiserslautern). They couldn't get promoted to Bundesliga so it's no wonder if Ring moves somewhere. Would also fit Championship style football well, just like Hetemaj. Physical player with good technique. Also one of Finland's key players for years. He would cost something.
MF: Alexei Eremenko Junior (Kilmanrock). Probably not enough for this level, he's also a wildcard at this time. But would be theoretically possible. In January there was reported interest from Championship clubs before he joined Kilmarnock on short six month deal. Now he negotiates with Kilmarnock, is free agent. When he's fit and things are working, he can be great in Brighton. Has lost his place in national team but can still come back.
MF: Rasmus Schuller (HJK). Finland's league's best midfielder, or one of them. Also in the national team regularly from the Finnish league, which is a good feat already. Is likely to move abroad this summer.

ST: Eero Markkanen (AIK). Probably the only Finnish striker I can think of that Hyypiä could sign. Young player who has come from the Finnish Kolmonen or fourth tier to Finland's top team HJK and now to one of Sweden's top teams AIK in just few years. Almost 2 meters long, very strong, and has been making fun of the Allsvenskan defenses this season. I can imagine AIK placing him a big price tag already. Debuted in national team last week. 22 years old, called Finland's Zlatan already. Huge phenomenon in Sweden now. Check some goals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yka45yo4K64

ST: Kasper Hämäläinen (Lech Poznan). One of Poland's best players for long time now. 9 goals 11 assists this year. Is not cheap as one of Lech Poznan's key players. He plays well the 10 position, striker, or even winger.

ST: Teemu Pukki (Celtic). Is also possibility, maybe on a loan deal. His playing style doesn't fit Scottish league (not sure if it fits Championship but probably better). Otherwise he is a good enough player for this level, was great in Schalke before going to Celtic. COuldn't get opening place but scored very effectively when in the field. Finland's number one national team striker since a long time, two weeks ago two goals against Czech Republic.

Bloody hell, good work, you need to get your CV over to Tony as we need a new chief scout (or did you just use Football Manager ?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here