Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Posters who refer to players by their nicknames

Indded. As I was saying in the bar after the game to "Waste of space" and "Useless" that its about time that "Not fit to wear the shirt" got a decent run in the side not that "Lazy C**t" seems to be perpetually 'injured'. Could do worse than play "You're A Disgrace"

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
There's not a problem with team mates referring to each other by their nicknames, it's just when you hear people at games shouting "Hit it Muzza". If I'm playing football and I hear people who don't know me shouting my nickname from the sideline I'd just end up thinking what a f***ing twat.

Err stop me if I'm wrong, but if they didn't know you how would they know your nickname? It's not like your playing for a professional football team is it?

How do you know that people who shout the players nicknames don't know them? Actually I can answer that, you don't.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It won't be the same if I can't shout out 'Special Needs' at our Irish centre half though.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
:tosser: f*** off you imbecile. You're the boy as I'm older than you you fool.

He was called that by his team-mates on one of his websites.

:shootself:

Physically yes, clearly not mentally, as your post has verified.

And, for the record, he doesnt particularly like the name.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Err stop me if I'm wrong, but if they didn't know you how would they know your nickname? It's not like your playing for a professional football team is it?

How do you know that people who shout the players nicknames don't know them? Actually I can answer that, you don't.

That wasn't my point. I said if they knew my nickname but not me personally, which I'm sure several people do.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
What if they wrote a book under a nom de plume? Should we then call them by that name and not either their real name or nickname?

It's all far too confusing for me...:dunce:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Giant Leslie was having that op if you recall - apparently it came off ok, but they had some issues turning it inside out.

Dave and GG know all about it.

sorry..what?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. They call him BOMBER, which is equally infantile, and considerably less PC... oh , he's all Arab and that, innit, watcha got in ya rucksack, chortle, chortle....

That's as may be, but it didn't stop the club having him modelling a bomber jacket (and labelled as such) in the club shop clothing catalogue a couple of years back.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I agree, as someone who has a nickname that has nothing to do with their own name, it's just easier to refer to me as JC :thumbsup:

I think if a person SAYS "don't call me by my name" on the forum, everyone should respect that. If they are fine with it, then there's no problem.

JC ftw.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I feel it's a very lazy, no-thought-involved practice just to put a y at the end of a name. Jakey, Coxy, Whingy.
I think it'd be nice if we called Andy Whing Wanda.
Then we could say "oooh he's Wanda Whing all over the pitch".

Sorry I have a bad cold.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
On the other hand Grim Fandango is one of the best adventure games ever.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I just tend to think that if you have known someone for 15 years, see them socially what is the point of calling them by their user name on here.

seems a bit daft really

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I believe I have been guilty of referring to Kuipers as FDM in the past, but I agree that it is a bit cringeworthy. The worst one being 'Jakey'. :shudders:

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one who thinks this.

There is something deeply troubling about a grown man referring to another grown man as "Jakey".

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I just tend to think that if you have known someone for 15 years, see them socially what is the point of calling them by their user name on here.

seems a bit daft really

1. If you use a name other than the user name when referring to a comment it can make it difficult for other users to follow the thread.
2. It can be used by some to make others feel less "in the loop". You don't, but some people do.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
1. If you use a name other than the user name when referring to a comment it can make it difficult for other users to follow the thread.
2. It can be used by some to make others feel less "in the loop". You don't, but some people do.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Point 1. dont follow that.

Point 2. that sounds a teensy bit precious to me........so if I call gareth, or Alan, or ed or Roz, or Adrian, or Keiron, or Partick, or Andy by their first names, that is going to disenfranchise some users. I can live with that.

Life is too short to worry about trivialities

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BTW I draw the line at being called Big Gay Dave from Four Poofs, but I quite like the name Susan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here