Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Poster boy Tory attacked in Sompting

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A bizarre thread with no actual information as to the specific person responsible, by a rather bizarre 'poster'.
Not that that can mean anything,obviously, as it would be wrong to jump to conclusions.
Did you read the link though?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I jumped to some rather sweeping conclusions when I first opened the thread.

About the OP, not the actual incident, you understand. :lolol:
I take your comment it is intended. I’m of the opinion though, as the archetypal swing voter centrist, that I really don’t find the humour in people whose views I disagree with getting hurt because of those views. If anything I’m a super-Liberal when it comes to social politics.

Whoever was responsible, assuming this was a political motive, a harsh punishment needs to delivered.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Whatever your political views, this is unacceptable. These need to be dealt with swiftly, and perhaps quite severely, as the more it happens the more likely we're going to get another Jo Cox/David Amess situation.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Assumptions I hear you say....this is the BBC reporting.
You have thrown a few assumption yourself in there. Do you condone this behaviour then?
I hope you have a good alibi and wasn't in Sompting on Saturday!
It is the BBC reporting, but nowhere do they detail what the motive was or comment on the politics of the attacker. could be a rabid leftie, could be a nutcase Reform supporter, Just Stop Oil? An angry environmentalist?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The OP was commenting on a news article, which is on every news source. I’m sure you’ll join me in saying that nobody should be assaulted for their political support of a major party?
Hang on. There are two things here.

The attack itself, which is disgraceful and condemned by pretty much everyone on the thread, which I’ll add to.

Then the sweeping assumption in the OP, with no evidence, about the perpetrator.

It’s completely valid to discuss both.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
There's a recent history of some very left wing Labour councillors and members locally (during Corbyn's time). During the previous two elections I was aware of intimidatory behaviour from some of those individuals that loved having photos taken with Chris Williamson against those that would now be supporters of Keir Starmer. This resulted in some Labour councillors resigning. So it's not been a bed of roses in the Labour Party locally.
But physically assaulting people?

I was at the receiving end myself of some quite intimidating behaviour from the far left in Blair’s time, when I stood as a Labour Party Councillor many years ago but not once did I feel physically threatened. I did however resign from the local party in the end against the leadership’s wishes because I felt caught in the friction between Old and New Labour so understand how these things work.

An ex-Ukip Councillor in my Constituency has been arrested for intimidating behaviour several times over the past few years and thrown off the Council as a result but he’s a shlte anyway - UKIP was his platform for being a shlte..

If the guy was a Labour Party voter, his behaviour certainly wouldn’t be condoned by the local Labour Party at any level. Some people are aggressive and violent, or just fcuked up - seems like political or moral outrage is just a vehicle for some people to exercise their warped psyches.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I take your comment it is intended. I’m of the opinion though, as the archetypal swing voter centrist, that I really don’t find the humour in people whose views I disagree with getting hurt because of those views. If anything I’m a super-Liberal when it comes to social politics.

Whoever was responsible, assuming this was a political motive, a harsh punishment needs to delivered.
I used to think of myself as a swing voting centrist, but have found myself feeling increasingly of the left over the last few years. I'd like to think that I might be able to vote for the Conservatives (or whatever replaces them if they do completely implode) in future, because that suggests they've turned into a competent and pragmatic party that bares absolutely no resemblance to the mess they've been for the last 10years or so.

My last post didn't really have anything to do with the incident, which we both agree is totally despicable. As it happens I suspect the OP's reasons for starting the thread had little to do with concern about the individuals involved in the incident either.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The OP was commenting on a news article, which is on every news source. I’m sure you’ll join me in saying that nobody should be assaulted for their political support of a major party?
Indeed, and I'm sure you'll join myself and everyone in saying that no conclusions should be jumped to?
Unless you have more facts on the matter to report?

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Do you live in Kingston or Surbiton, then?
No. My research will be into my local candidates, but because bungee boy Davey just keeps playing around, and for that reason the LD are ruled out. What if he was playing wheel barrow races when the post office scandal was going on.......who knows.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I used to think of myself as a swing voting centrist, but have found myself feeling increasingly of the left over the last few years. I'd like to think that I might be able to vote for the Conservatives (or whatever replaces them if they do completely implode) in future, because that suggests they've turned into a competent and pragmatic party that bares absolutely no resemblance to the mess they've been for the last 10years or so.

My last post didn't really have anything to do with the incident, which we both agree is totally despicable. As it happens I suspect the OP's reasons for starting the thread had little to do with concern about the individuals involved in the incident either.
Spot on.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Hang on. There are two things here.

The attack itself, which is disgraceful and condemned by pretty much everyone on the thread, which I’ll add to.

Then the sweeping assumption in the OP, with no evidence, about the perpetrator.

It’s completely valid to discuss both.
Sorry, I appreciate I’m being dense here (long day!) but I’m not suggesting a right or wrong in this except for anyone to assaults people because of their political beliefs, be they right (within law), centre, liberal, green or left (within law).

I just don’t want to see this happen. I said it when that prick Farage had a milkshake thrown over him.

We don’t know the intention of the party responsible and won’t until he’s named (when evidence will lead to a clear conclusion I suspect) but I just don’t want to see this happen full stop, but PARTICULARLY in a political context in a democracy ahead of a free vote.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Sorry, I appreciate I’m being dense here (long day!) but I’m not suggesting a right or wrong in this except for anyone to assaults people because of their political beliefs, be they right (within law), centre, liberal, green or left (within law).

I just don’t want to see this happen. I said it when that prick Farage had a milkshake thrown over him.

We don’t know the intention of the party responsible and won’t until he’s named (when evidence will lead to a clear conclusion I suspect) but I just don’t want to see this happen full stop, but PARTICULARLY in a political context in a democracy ahead of a free vote.
And that’s all fine. But if the OP was trying to get some political capital out of it then there’s a bit of him that isn’t condemning the attack, but rather using it as a vote influencing tool.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Agree with everything you said except one point - I think after tomorrow night the Tories will “realise” like Labour did after Miliband and Corbyn and have a root and branch shake up. I don’t think the Conservatives as a party are going anywhere, but in eight years they’ll have rebranded. As of now they’re toxic and ALL of the top guys and girls have to go.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here