Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post Office - thieving b'stards

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is there NOTHING the nicking bastards won't tear an envelope open for and have away for themselves?

Currently reliving my childhood via my son and the joys of collecting Panini World Cup stickers. Inevitably the disappointment of swaps comes along, and I joyously explain to my son that "swaps" are where the fun really begins.

Rather than leave him to take them to school and inevitably lose them - he's particularly adept at that - we've moved into the modern age, and through the it's through the wonders of NSC, that we've conducted our swaps.

This week, we had a particularly exciting week, as one extremely helpful NSCer was sending us 30 swaps!!!! Ruddy marvellous. A couple of days pass, and I come home to find some post. Amongst them is a clear plastic "sincerely apologies" bag from the Post Office. Inside is half an envelope, and 1 sticker!!!

Are they for real? So, some desperate thieving bastard is ripping open any post they think might have something in there that that want, but on finding some football stickers they don't think "Nah, I want cash or vouchers", they pocket them!! Oh, and not before sticking the remains of the envelope and 1 solitary sticker in a bag and make out there has been some unfortunate accident with the sorting machine.

Welcome to the World son, it looks fun, but around the corner there is always some selfish bastard trying to pissing you off.

:rant:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on Gritty, you're better than this.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Come on Gritty, you're better than this.

Eh? Don't understand. Maybe it's a slightly raw reaction, but I'm bloody annoyed ..... so I'm clearly not "better than this" if you think I should have just risen above it, shrugged my shoulders and ruffled the boys hair with a consoling "never mind son."

Hills

Feb 2, 2009
I think you mean the royal mail, not the post office. They are actually different businesses. Also more likely that it got caught up in a sorting machine, I really can't see someone opening up a letter stealing 29 panini stickers and putting one back! That would be madness!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think you mean the royal mail, not the post office. They are actually different businesses. Also more likely that it got caught up in a sorting machine, I really can't see someone opening up a letter stealing 29 panini stickers and putting one back! That would be madness!

So out of 30 loose stickers in an envelope the sorting machine damaged 29 of them beyond the point of making it worth still sending to the addressee anyway, and yet the 30th, remained in perfect condition?

How would that even be possible? The Betting slip the sender presumably used to wrap the stickers in was also in perfect condition.

Karlos23

Oct 26, 2009

the 1 left must have been heskey.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Eh? Don't understand. Maybe it's a slightly raw reaction, but I'm bloody annoyed ..... so I'm clearly not "better than this" if you think I should have just risen above it, shrugged my shoulders and ruffled the boys hair with a consoling "never mind son."

So out of 30 loose stickers in an envelope the sorting machine damaged 29 of them beyond the point of making it worth still sending to the addressee anyway, and yet the 30th, remained in perfect condition?

How would that even be possible? The Betting slip the sender presumably used to wrap the stickers in was also in perfect condition.

I was doubting you, due to your usual intelligence, coming to the conclusion that a postie risked losing his job for 29 stickers.

The cut/rip and the stickers falling out might not have happened in the same place.
I guess it was unlucky the whole thing didn't happen on Gritt day, the day when 120,000 posties all work exclusively to sort your post.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

orpingtoneagle

Mar 19, 2010
I do sell a little bit through ebay so I rely on the post, have to say I always add plenty of padding (bubble wrap) to ensure against damage, but also to make it difficult to recognize what is inside

D

Deleted member 2719

I was doubting you, due to your usual intelligence, coming to the conclusion that a postie risked losing his job for 29 stickers.

The cut/rip and the stickers falling out might not have happened in the same place.
I guess it was unlucky the whole thing didn't happen on Gritt day, the day when 120,000 posties all work exclusively to sort your post.

It's great that your backing your fellow workers ST but you can't deny there are some thieving scum that work for RM?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It's great that your backing your fellow workers ST but you can't deny there are some thieving scum that work for RM?

Just like most jobs, theres always one f***ing wanker who'll ruin it for the upstanding members of a workplace.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Similar thing happened to me last year, my mother in law collects tesco school vouchers and because we hadnt collected them from her she put them (about fifty I think) in an envelope and posted them to us. The envelope arrived completely empty with a neat slit in the end which could only have been made by a sharp knife. In fact I didnt notice the slit until after I had opened the envelope and was wonder why it was competely empty. Accident, I dont think so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Similar thing happened to me last year, my mother in law collects tesco school vouchers and because we hadnt collected them from her she put them (about fifty I think) in an envelope and posted them to us. The envelope arrived completely empty with a neat slit in the end which could only have been made by a sharp knife. In fact I didnt notice the slit until after I had opened the envelope and was wonder why it was competely empty. Accident, I dont think so.
I don't work, or for that matter, have ever been to a mail centre.
But the regularity that that occurs means it's definitely something to do with one of the processing machines.
Not one of the obviously thieving ba$tards, which I guess I must be.

I suppose my TWO potato peelers (one after the other) got "caught" in the sorting machine as well and accidently flew into an unsuspecting person's pocket. Or the many lost DVDs that have resulted in our postcode being barred from some websites were accidently vapourised by said machine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As FDM says no work place is theft free, why should poorly educated low paid (but well paid for what we do) posties be any different.

I just, obviously, resent the FACT that as I'm a postie I must be a thieving ba$tard, who would stoop low enough to steal someone's stickers or potato peeler.

I work for Royal Mail and fix the sorting machines that you are on about. From time to time letters and their contents are ripped open due to jams in the machines, and unfortunately the contents get spewed all over the inside of the machines.
What could have happened in your case is that the letter got ripped, the stickers came out, the letter was discovered but the stickers could have continued down the line and be in a different section of the machine and therefore the person finding the ripped envelope wouldn't have seen the rest of the stickers. Someone else may have come along later and just found the stickers and no envelope.
They could also as you say have been nicked.
When I find stuff ripped open in the machines I do try and find the contents and match them up with the envelope.
Sorry to hear about this, hope your son is not too upset about it all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I just, obviously, resent the FACT that as I'm a postie I must be a thieving ba$tard, who would stoop low enough to steal someone's stickers or potato peeler.

I certainly never intended to imply that YOU are a tea leaf, or in fact that anything more than a pesky minority within the Post Office (or Royal Mail) are such lowlife.

There are bound to be some, and despite the possibility that it was all due to some machine malfunction, I'm inclined to believe I've been done.

If you read the thread title as referring to ALL of the Post Office, then I apologise, that isn't how I meant it. But there are some "thieving bastards" within the Post Office, and I seem to have (and not for the first time) fallen victim to them. It's incredible what some people chose to steal, but they do. Maybe it's the Ebay age, and everything seems to have a resale value these days.

Regards.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The clear plastic bag indicates that the envelope was knackered by the sorting equipment and they have sent what was retrieved , the other stickers could end up further down the line and end up stuffed back into another ripped to f*** envelope.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Okay, I'm big enough to stand up and say I was WRONG, and that I'm serving up humble pie for pudding today.

It does look like we have a less than friendly sorting machine around here, as I was greeted with another "sincere apologies" bag today, but this time the majority of stickers were enclosed, but somewhat mangled.

:-(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here