Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post by c,e,o. Of sussex

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
New postPosted: 09 Jul 2009 11:26 Post subject: Dear Seafret Reply with quote
Dear Seafret

I read your note with interest and complete bemusement - it often amazes me the lack of awareness and understanding
from one human being to another

It may have escaped your notice, but as a very small £ 3m turnover business (exc the ECB money) we have a very small
staff - and one which I am sure you are keen to keep small so we can invest in playing strength. Therefore at peak times,
there are likely to be delays - please bear in mind that we are attempting to issue 4,000 tickets to the right people for a
big Lords Final, aswell as sell out 7,000 tickets for a major T20 QF just two days later. Oh, and by the way . . . even our
team need the odd day off from time to time !

It is a shame that the queues were long, but not to be unexpected given our loyal supporter base. I know our team would have
dealt with each customer as quickly and afficiently as possible so it is hard to have sympathy that you had to queue. As for the
booking fee, it is as it was for the last C & G final. Cash is not free to bank, and all the ticket money goes to the MCC not us. You
are of course at liberty to buy your tickets from Hants (subject to their regulations) or the MCC - and quite frankly I would have
preferred that given your attitude. In addition, those staff you find you so love to harangue also cost money

The team at Hove, both on field and off field, have had a brilliant first half of the season. With our playing side recovering
from a slow start to make the FPT Final and T20 QF's plus put up a brilliant performance against Australia, the admin team
have had to step up to the plate.

For your information, over the last fortnight the team off the field have successfully handled 6 days with crowds over 6,000
people starting with the T20 v Surrey, going in to 4 days of Australia, then culminating in a huge Semi Final day on Sunday.
And now they roll in to selling the FPT Final to our dedicated supporters, shifting T20 QF tickets and setting up for Arundel.
Are they tired ? YES Do they moan ? NO . . . Why ? Because they love the Club and see it not as a job, but a labour of love
to offer the best possible service to even the most grumpy and ungrateful of customers.

I am proud of the effort both on field and off field this year in very testing economic times and will defend any one of my team
at any time against baseless pointless comments like those you have made here. I have never posted on the Message Board
and hope I do not have to as it is not the place for the CE to be involved in debate. Maybe one day you will have the will to
walk into my office for a chat or pick the phone up for a chat.

In the meantime, I will happily refund your tickets and booking fee should you wish to return today to The County Ground
to see Ian Davis, or myself on Monday. The Club does not need, want or require this kind of pointless moaning . . . and by
the complete lack of support to your "thread" it seems your fellow supporters share my view

Right, I am now off to do generate yet more revenue for the Club along with my excellent team

Good bye

Dave Brooks
Chief Executive of Sussex Cricket
Sussex County Cricket Club
The County Ground, Eaton Road
Hove, East Sussex.
BN3 3AN

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I still think making £10,000 out of ticket sales is extortion, it does not cost anywhere near that to bank the money

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If you don't want to pay it, then don't...plenty of others will.

That's not really the point though is it, the way I read his reponse is that Sussex have to send all ticket money to the MCC so we are charging £2.50 because we can. Its not as if Sussex will be out of pocket, the prize money must be quite good, and surely both teams get a share of the gate monies dont they.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It doesn't bother me (although in this case I purchased my ticket direct from Lords).

where are you sat....we have tickets for Mound Stand lower....whatever that means.

BTW who plays for Sussex these days? Who is the pitcher?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
where are you sat....we have tickets for Mound Stand lower....whatever that means.

BTW who plays for Sussex these days? Who is the pitcher?

Ian and I are in the Grandstand Upper.

Pitchers - hmmm, I think they come full of pimms.

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
Otto Bunstick.

New User

New postPosted: 09 Jul 2009 15:21
What post is this a response to? If it's been deleted, how can it be publicly argued against?

Anyway, I haven't read it but I did hear that booking fees are being charged per ticket not transaction even though purchased in person and I was astounded. Quite wrong in my opinion and somewhat indefensible if other outlets weren't charging this always mysterious 'administration' charge.

I suppose by that comment I also incur the not inconsiderable ire of Mr Dave Brooks but I couldn't give a hoot.

I think perhaps the whole issue should be between Mr Brooks and Seafret It isn't for general consumption on the messageboard unless of course a witch hunt is deemed appropriate. The administrator should delete the thread entirely and we can move on.

From the MCC website regardingf ticket saleshttp://www.lords.org/tickets/conditions/

3. A booking fee is payable to applications received by post, which is £5 for a cheque payment, or £3 for Credit or Debit Cards. However, no fee is payable in respect of applications made via the internet. Postal applicants must submit a separate payment in respect of each Application Form that accompanies this brochure.

So I suspect that the club are just passing on the charges that the MCC impose on them for re-selling the tickets anyway.

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
scccstaff wrote:
I have never posted on the Message Board and hope I do not have to as it is not the place for the CE to be involved in debate.
Dave Brooks

I think you hit the nail on the head here Mr Brooks. I understand your displeasure with the original post, but I think a bit of professionalism should have made you refrain from posting this. And from the above quote, it appears you knew that.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Compared to most concerts £2.50 a ticket surcharge is very reasonable.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
The booking fee was a bit of a joke, should have been per transaction.

Hard to determine whether the response was justified without seeing the original complaint. But I would tend to support the club on this one. Thousands of people wanting to buy tickets on a single day is going to be hard to cope with, especially when there is a limited amount of staff around (as this is a rare occurence)

I'm more annoyed at the allocation of only 4000 per team.

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
The booking fee was a bit of a joke, should have been per transaction.

Hard to determine whether the response was justified without seeing the original complaint. But I would tend to support the club on this one. Thousands of people wanting to buy tickets on a single day is going to be hard to cope with, especially when there is a limited amount of staff around (as this is a rare occurence)

I'm more annoyed at the allocation of only 4000 per team.

our allocation is going to be increased once the first 4,200 sell out, so we should be OK

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
SeaFret
Frequent user
Frequent user

New postPosted: 10 Jul 2009 00:43 Post subject: Reply with quote
Dear Mr Brooks,

I should start by saying I haven't a problem with SCCC staff at all or a problem with waiting for my tickets (I have queued for lot longer in far more testing circumstances-believe me). My problem was with the way a certain member of your (usually excellent staff) spoke to my 70 year father who has been a Sussex supporter and member for over 50 years. I'm sure you appreciate that when somebody is very rude to your Father (regardless of how 'tired' they are) you feel angry and emotional. I might add that the person in question has been that way whenever I have had dealings with them (on two previous occasions) and I'd had enough of being treated with such abject contempt by an offical of a club that I am a long standing member of. You may note I have been decent enough not to name the person in question.

Your support of your staff is laudable and I would have/ was about to write an official letter of complaint when I got phone calls from fellow messageboarders about your frankly bizarre letter to me.

I can only think that the heat from the ovens of running a top flight sports franchise mixed with my spur of the moment spite, must have really got the yeast rising in you, so to speak. That said- you still haven't properly explained why you are charging a booking fee and the two other vendors aren't (and you must really think I'm an idiot if you think I will believe that banking cash 'costs the club money')

Perhaps I should 'walk into you office' and 'sort it out' but given your penchant for the limelight- How about we battle it out "Gladiator" style on podiums with giant 'Puffa' sticks during half time at the 20/20 1/4 final- If I win- you refund the £2.50 charge to all ticket holders who collected their tickets at the ground- If you win I'll admit that I was wrong and that you are 'The King' and shall bow before your mighty confections, sweet meats and mille-feuilles.

It always amazes me, Mr Brooks, the daft extent people will go to try and defend the indefensible.....

Your humble pastry chef

SeaFret xx

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
SeaFret
Frequent user
Frequent user

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009 01:24 Post subject: Re: Dear Seafret Reply with quote
scccstaff said:
Dear Seafret

I read your note with interest and complete bemusement - it often amazes me the lack of awareness and understanding
from one human being to another

ps It often amazes me that people in positions of power and influence have no grasp of English grammar- Where is the punctuation in your letter and what does 'affectively' mean? No doubt you make a great apple strudle- so each to their own...Or so one might think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here