Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positives to take from today..

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
1. Caskey looks quality and is surely good enough for championship football in the future.
2. The whos the best keeper debate will never arise again.
3. Other results were good to us.
4. No injuries or cards picked up.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I think it's a bit harsh on brez.Yes he had a poor game,Casper is not the most accomplished at taking crosses,so we don't know that he would have dealt with things any better today.
When the draw was made I'm sure Casper was quite happy for brez to take over for this game knowing the pressure the goalkeeper would be under against stoke.
I'm sure some of the pre game planning involved the goalkeeper being positive when the ball came in to the box.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't forgot Bridcutt

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I think it's a bit harsh on brez.Yes he had a poor game,Casper is not the most accomplished at taking crosses,so we don't know that he would have dealt with things any better today.
When the draw was made I'm sure Casper was quite happy for brez to take over for this game knowing the pressure the goalkeeper would be under against stoke.
I'm sure some of the pre game planning involved the goalkeeper being positive when the ball came in to the box.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Hopefully Wood and Sparrow will be back raring to go on Tuesday, as well as Noone, Casper, El-Abd. Going to be some fresh legs to tear into those Janners.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Biggest positive to take from today: Bournemouth 1-1 Huddersfield

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We don't play like Stoke. I wouldn't pay to watch that every other week.

Couldn't care less about losing, but I'd rather lose to a proper Premier League side where you can sit back and be impressed by the quality and flair.

Today we lost to a computer program. I honestly feel sorry for Stoke fans.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I think there were loads of positives from today. Bridcutt, Greer, Bennett, Barnes and Painter all looked solid and performed really well. Battipiedi looked out of his depth, but thought all three subs did well when they came on, especially Forster-Caskey who looks to have a really bright future if he can recreate those performances for us on a regular basis. I think we may see him a lot more in the next few months. I think 3-0 flattered them, we competed well but Premiership quality shone out in the end and they converted the chances they had. It was a shame we didn't score as I felt we deserved one. We certainly didn't embarrass ourselves in a match that we were fully expected to lose - people moaning about how 'poor' we were need to get a grip and realise we're currently only a League One team and we're not gonna beat every team we play, especially those in the Premier League.

Peterrhodes

Aug 18, 2009
London
Agreed on all 4 points. Was a bit miffed to arrive in Stoke and find batty starting, if we werent gonna bother I wish someone had told me.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't think we were poor but thought that Stoke had total control of the game. They sat back and let us have the ball when it suited them in the 2nd half but they could always have gone up a gear. The real positive is that this is a reality check for all of us and that, although Gus has worked wonders in a short time, we are still a work in progress and still at an early stage.

Mark11

Jan 21, 2011
worthing
The support!! Those who went up and those who stayed back home and watched, tonight the pub I was watching from was 5x the pub it was when England played there games in the world cup. Many more good times to look forward to. :) Who cares about the f.a cup when we're 2 pts clear with 3 in hand :D

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We don't play like Stoke. I wouldn't pay to watch that every other week.

Couldn't care less about losing, but I'd rather lose to a proper Premier League side where you can sit back and be impressed by the quality and flair.

Today we lost to a computer program. I honestly feel sorry for Stoke fans.

Ooh listen to her, football purist.

Pace, power and strength has always been an important part of the game. Wait till next season (hopefully) where half of the championship play it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ooh listen to her, football purist.

Pace, power and strength has always been an important part of the game. Wait till next season (hopefully) where half of the championship play it.

Are you one of those people shouting "lump it forward" at Withdean.... ?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I didn't think we were poor but thought that Stoke had total control of the game. They sat back and let us have the ball when it suited them in the 2nd half but they could always have gone up a gear. The real positive is that this is a reality check for all of us and that, although Gus has worked wonders in a short time, we are still a work in progress and still at an early stage.

work in progress of course we bloody are But f*** me aint we working well

For me, the most positive thing about today was to see the Albion's passing game (which is a difficult thing to do against decent opponents) get better in the second half, when they'd had halftime to work out that teams like Stoke can break it down if it's played without conviction. The first half lacked that conviction. The second half displayed it. They didn't have to play the second half the way they did, but Gus kept them at it and his faith in the method paid off.

That experience bodes extremely well for difficult opponents still to come. As cheshunt seagull and macky say, it's still work in progress. But there was some real progress today.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are you one of those people shouting "lump it forward" at Withdean.... ?

No not at all, just someone who knows that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I prefer the way we play the game but I haven`t become a tippy tappy snob in 6 months either.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
No not at all, just someone who knows that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I prefer the way we play the game but I haven`t become a tippy tappy snob in 6 months either.

Spot on Questions

We can pass it around against league 1 teams because we have better players but there ain't no way we will be able to do that every week and we need to be able to compete on many levels. We hardly had any chances on goal today and our passing game was pushed back every time. The only times we beat their defence was when we played the ball across and over the defence and dropped it out to the wing.

I bet the the tippy tappy stuff gets slated on here if we start losing because it's a whole different game when you play fitter, faster and better teams

Spot on Questions

We can pass it around against league 1 teams because we have better players but there ain't no way we will be able to do that every week and we need to be able to compete on many levels. We hardly had any chances on goal today and our passing game was pushed back every time. The only times we beat their defence was when we played the ball across and over the defence and dropped it out to the wing.

I bet the the tippy tappy stuff gets slated on here if we start losing because it's a whole different game when you play fitter, faster and better teams
One thing we certainly need to work on is defending set pieces. Brezovan, under pressure, let us down twice today. But it's not enough just to blame him for the goals that were conceded.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Leeds fans used to call Casper 'Dracula' as he was so scared of crosses so we shouldn't be too harsh on Brez. He's not playing regularly and thats a tough game to come into. Some of the best keepers in the land struggle there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here