Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positives to take from today..

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
This tippy tappy stuff is all and well but why do we back pass so much, even when we are 2/3 into the opposition area, I find that most frustrating.

SCFC_Lurker

Feb 20, 2011
Stoke-on-Trent
Stoke Vs Brighton and Hove Albion

Hi Brighton fans

I am a Stoke City fan in peace. First things first, I thought your lot out played us on many areas of the pitch. Not to mention the 'one on one' battles of which there were many. We looked very average in many circumstances when confronted with a passing and developing progressive team.

In the end, my team won which I am very happy about, as a result of clinical play - no more and no less.

I have spotted a lot of negativity on these boards following the result which is very unjustified. As a dedicated red and white I have to say that your team is one of the better that have visited the Britannia, and I look forward to our lot playing you in 2 seasons time :D

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The two reasons we didn't win yesterday are simple.
1) We couldn't deal with balls in the box
2) Our possession football didn't work because we didn't move te ball anywhere near fast enough-(something we need to improve if we get promoted)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. The first half lacked that conviction. The second half displayed it. They didn't have to play the second half the way they did, but Gus kept them at it and his faith in the method paid off.

That has probably got more to do with Stoke taking their foot off the gas and saving themelves having wrapped the game up, which allowed us to play tbh.

Big positive for me is that we have quite a few fresh players for Tuesday and the look of the League 1 table last night.

Last edited:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The main reason we lost is because Stoke are a Premier League team with Premier League players. Please, lets stop moaning and give our players some credit, they did well.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We don't play like Stoke. I wouldn't pay to watch that every other week.

Couldn't care less about losing, but I'd rather lose to a proper Premier League side where you can sit back and be impressed by the quality and flair.

Today we lost to a computer program. I honestly feel sorry for Stoke fans.

Really? You can't honestly mean that? Would you rather watch us struggle at the foot of league two or sitting comfortably in the middle of the premier league and through to the quarter-finals of the f.a cup for the second season in a row?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hi Brighton fans

I am a Stoke City fan in peace. First things first, I thought your lot out played us on many areas of the pitch. Not to mention the 'one on one' battles of which there were many. We looked very average in many circumstances when confronted with a passing and developing progressive team.

In the end, my team won which I am very happy about, as a result of clinical play - no more and no less.

I have spotted a lot of negativity on these boards following the result which is very unjustified. As a dedicated red and white I have to say that your team is one of the better that have visited the Britannia, and I look forward to our lot playing you in 2 seasons time :D

This is so positive it bears quoting. Thanks for the comments.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This tippy tappy stuff is all and well but why do we back pass so much, even when we are 2/3 into the opposition area, I find that most frustrating.

Yes it is so frustrating to play a brand of football that has taken us to the top of the league. Can't believe Gus sticks with it, to be honest.

I am actually proud that the team didn't panic and start hoofing the ball but instead stuck by what they have been told to do. Even at 3 down we were trying to play our way out of trouble, which is fantastic. We lost to a team who are in the top half of the Premier League and people are criticising aspects of our style and slagging off individual players. I honestly can't believe it but I suppose I should expect no better from NSC!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Was an excellent day league wise. A lot on here this time last week were expecting us to be knocked off our perch due to inactivity in the league, but we are still there two points clear and games in hand. Good week!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As a dedicated red and white I have to say that your team is one of the better that have visited the Britannia, and I look forward to our lot playing you in 2 seasons time :D
Cheers Pal! - and of course you are; you're thinking about the three easy points!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes Brezovan was responsible for the first 2 goals which then put us on the back foot, whioch was going to be difficult to come back from. The 3rd goal was a good goal from their point of view and bad one from our defenders view and hopefully we will learn from it and not get caught out again against the likes of Lambert (SCC). Brezovan played a game which will be good for him as we may well need him in the final weeks of the season if injury or suspension befalls Casper. Jake Forster-Caskey came on and was not overawed by the occassion so may be useful to come on later in the season when needed. Bournemouth and Huddersfield dropped another chance to catch up on us, the down side is SCC game was postponed. So lets look forward to 3 points on Tuesday at home and the chance for another 3 points at MK when we play 'the best team in the league at keeping possession and passing' as quoted by their manager.

Just a thought why do refs allow the ball boys to dry the ball for Delap but roll it back along the pitch for the opponents is this not seeking to gain an advantage. I dont know if any rules cover gaining an unfair advantage, probably not as it has never been mentioned by any pundits.

Last edited:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have to say that, even though I joined in heartily with the barracking, DeLap's throws were breathtaking and clearly induced panic in the defence.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Really? You can't honestly mean that? Would you rather watch us struggle at the foot of league two or sitting comfortably in the middle of the premier league and through to the quarter-finals of the f.a cup for the second season in a row?
I left the ground and said "I'd rather have a season ticket to watch our youth team than Stoke".
You can only get so far playing the way Stoke do, I spoke to a Stoke fan who told me Pulis has a plan to stay in the PL for three seasons then try to slowly intergrate a different style if football.
I'll believe it when I see it!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The two reasons we didn't win yesterday are simple.
1) We couldn't deal with balls in the box
2) Our possession football didn't work because we didn't move te ball anywhere near fast enough-(something we need to improve if we get promoted)

Spot on, but mainly one, that's what lost us the game. The second point was the reason we couldn't get back into it

knype

Feb 20, 2011
I left the ground and said "I'd rather have a season ticket to watch our youth team than Stoke".
You can only get so far playing the way Stoke do, I spoke to a Stoke fan who told me Pulis has a plan to stay in the PL for three seasons then try to slowly intergrate a different style if football.

God I love it when people slate our style of play, we play to our strengths and forgive me for saying it but I thought that football was all about winning matches which we did yesterday in 1st gear. TBH I would rather that you did go and support BHA youth than support us as tbh I found your football boring yesterday....Same pretty patterns with no end result.....

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
God I love it when people slate our style of play, we play to our strengths and forgive me for saying it but I thought that football was all about winning matches which we did yesterday in 1st gear. TBH I would rather that you did go and support BHA youth than support us as tbh I found your football boring yesterday....Same pretty patterns with no end result.....

I am not going to knock Stoke - but you were a Club who found a place for Alan Hudson and Jimmy Greenhoff in the top flight. Times change - but boring that football was not.

Yes Brezovan was responsible for the first 2 goals which then put us on the back foot, whioch was going to be difficult to come back from. The 3rd goal was a good goal from their point of view and bad one from our defenders view

Well perhaps - if it was Brezovan's responsibility to get the posts (particularly the back one) covered by defenders. As for keeping goal and ability, I don't see how it could be his fault when trying to get to balls headed from point blank range.
Delap's throws are a goal, if not defended in the same way as a corner or free kick - but we ought to have been prepared for that by actually having the same situations in training, and closer marking.

I'm fairly happy we are out of the cups though now, and promotion will do nicely thanks..... IF we can up the ante and play better for the rest of the season. We WILL be one of the most vulnerable clubs though, if we don't realise that other teams will be improving and working harder from here on in. Our players might be tempted to think we can stroll this - but if we even play like we did against Stoke I reckon we could struggle still. It wasn't a good match, but at least our league position hasn't changed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well perhaps - if it was Brezovan's responsibility to get the posts (particularly the back one) covered by defenders. As for keeping goal and ability, I don't see how it could be his fault when trying to get to balls headed from point blank range.
Delap's throws are a goal, if not defended in the same way as a corner or free kick - but we ought to have been prepared for that by actually having the same situations in training, and closer marking.

The 3rd goal was not Berzovans fault because it was scored at the near post and should have been covered by a defender. The first thing you are taught at a goalkeeper is to stand nearer the far post to crosses from the wing as it is easier to come forward to get the ball than go back but in the first 2 goals Bezovan didnt make enough effort to reach the ball so must accept the blame, but he will get over it and not let us down if we need him during the run in to the season end.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

I'd rather be tenth in the Premiership thanks.
And don't forget, it was only 2 years ago we were playing some of the worst football i've ever seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here