Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positives from yesterdays game?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
While i've already seen the usual crowd in an oh-so unsurprising mood am i the only person on here who thought we played really well yesterday? We were unlucky not to go one up early on, which would have completely changed the game. We were certainly playing some great football, it was attractive, attacking and on the floor. (at least until we conceded and the defense went back to hoofball) Of course the usual suspects put in a good performance (dicker, bennett, murray, crofts e.t.c.) but beyond that i don't really think anyone made many terrible mistakes (defense aside) and people like Navarro impressed me by appearing to put in an actual shift and even Dickinson looked half dangerous at times. I was never expecting instant changes unlike some on here after the Southampton game, but following tonight i am very confident we will not go down, we outplayed the second best team in the league at the start and if we were not so pathetically low on confidence that we resorted to hoofball having let in one goal we would never have really been out of the game. The style of football is attractive and thats something I havnt ever really seen at Withdean, and is what many on here clamor for. Of there was also Mcnulty coming on and made some good runs going forward, hopefully will start next match. We may have lost but we did so with style.

Last edited:

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I agree. While I have had to follow all the recent game remotely (radio, apart from the Southampton game) it does strike me that:

1. We have not been playing nearly as badly as some make out. The negativity seems more a result of completely unrealistic expectations combined with having to play all the best teams in the division virtually on consecutive days - what did we expect?

2. However we have been playing, I think we'll improve massively once the new team gets a few clear weeks in which to work with the players as opposed simply having to fire fight, which is what they've been forced to do so far. For fans to be bitching and moaning, particularly about certain players, is only massively counter productive.

That is all.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I agree. While I have had to follow all the recent game remotely (radio, apart from the Southampton game) it does strike me that:

1. We have not been playing nearly as badly as some make out. The negativity seems more a result of completely unrealistic expectations combined with having to play all the best teams in the division virtually on consecutive days - what did we expect?

2. However we have been playing, I think we'll improve massively once the new team gets a few clear weeks in which to work with the players as opposed simply having to fire fight, which is what they've been forced to do so far. For fans to be bitching and moaning, particularly about certain players, is only massively counter productive.

That is all.

Agreed but this is far to sensible a post for NSC!

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
But we still cannot grind out a result. That is more important than just playing attractive football ( at times )

Play shit = we lose
Play OK = we lose
Play well = we lose

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
We played most of the football in the first 20 minutes; looked dangerous & nearly went 1-up; gave it a go in the 2nd half & could've got back in the game if the Ref hadn't been such an inadequate tosser; Jimmy Mac came on & seemingly looked uninjured at the final whistle; Smith actually made a remarkable double save & wasn't ruthlessly punished for his (many) shortcomings; we've got a break from the 'Big 4' now & G&T have the opportunity to work with the players for a good few days on the training pitch; it started spitting but we didn't end up getting drenched again; we had a great game of impromptu vollyball in H Block. Oh, & we're all still alive today. :thumbsup:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
games last 90 mins not 20 , we were awful paste over it if you want but at the end of the day its another home defeat against a team which imo were far from being anywhere near the best ive seen this season.

Cant think of any positives from that game other than mcnulty. soz

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
We looked more organised and kept a better shape and had a few spells of pressure.

Defensively poor.

Charlton played in a contained way and did a job on us. In truth if they had to score more they could have done but were happy soaking up what we throwing at them.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We played well for the first 20 mins and the first 10 ish of the 2nd half. Wasn't impressed by Navarro at all and thought he should of come off so we could change to a more attacking formation.
For all our good play , how many saves did their keeper make ?

Charlton didn't particularly turn up imo which makes it worse

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
ps I somehow forgot to mention that there were FOUR buses waiting for us at the end of the game! :clap2:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
well arnt we all in a delightful mood today :)

What people fail to realise is that Gus Poyet is working on the team, he doesnt come in, spend a week with them and then thats how they play for the rest of the season, against leeds we played well at first, i feel at norwich we never had a chance but still got back into that fixture. I expect by christmas we will be getting better football for longer periods of time. Gus has just spent a month fighting fires against the top 4 teams in this division, we have 3 points which is 3 more than we would have got under slade, we are still in a cup and the wycombe game showed us that we can comfortably beat teams around us at the moment. No we arnt going to go up this season, we never were. But we will not go down and i feel if we push ourselves and top ten finish i still possible with the curfrent squad, and poyet is yet to make any signings.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't have the benefit of having seen that game, but I did watch the Sky Sports Soccer Special and the guy commenting on our game in the studio (an Ex-player, I guess, I didn't recognise him), was not very complimentary about us. He wasn't exactly damning either, but all of his reports were that we were "Huffing and puffing" and had "little imagination". From that, I guessed that it wasn't pretty and didn't derserve to get anything from it.

Positives from watching last night's game:

1. I didn't get wet
2. My son didn't get wet
3. I was at the end where we had our one & only shot (header) on target
4. Smith didn't get abused. Not his fault that the entire line of defenders were shocking
5. The penny has dropped re any talk of automatic promotion/playoffs, by the 'sun is always shining brigade'
6. We only conceded 2. Charlton could have stepped up a gear if they wanted too

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
1) As that was the 2nd time we've had that tosspot ref this season we shouldn't see him again for a loooooong time

2) thats it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Everyone is coming out with this line about the defense is really poor, but we limited Charlton, one of the best teams in the division to just 2 shots on target in the 1st half and kept a clean sheet in the 2nd, so was it really that poor a defensive display as everyone makes out?

Can't a team score a good goal against us any more without the resultant cries of our shit defense is to blame? I didn't think that they were that bad, and I thought Smith had his best game in a Brighton shirt, maybe there is hope for him yet.

We look good going forward and look capable of scoring alot of goals this season, enough to make sure we will be safe long before the season ends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here