Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives (?) from tonight

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Youngest Bobkin woke up, so I missed the last 10 minutes...

It was one of those games. We're not a bad side, we just had an off night and United were on fire. Mistakes get punished. It's just one game and we move on – one game at a time.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
not many early leavers last night

Quite a few late arrivals though, majority of the side didn't appear to turn up until the second half started.

I'd say on the plus side Bissouma had a decent enough game, Trossard did well in the second half once he got into the pace of the game. At least we tested De Gea in the second half.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Positives? We looked in serious danger of a thrashing at 2-0, perhaps even more so at 3-0. That didn't happen, and the scoreline doesn't look embarrassing against a very good Man Utd side who eased off a bit once the win was in the bag, and allowed us some time and space to play some decent football at times. We were maybe unlucky not to pull one back but overall it was a very fair result and one that I think everyone will take on the chin, and then move on.

Trossard looked very impressive at times, but at this rate his "impact sub" reputation is going to be hard to shake off.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Positives
We must have now identified we cannot keep taking the same corners. They don’t work. We need to mix it up.
Bissouma in centre mid
Trossard very good

Negatives
Starting line up with Stephens and Propper. They gave assists for first two goals.
Taking off Lamptney when he was probably our best player in the first half
Starting Bissouma wide left.
Probably Potters worst decisions of the season let’s hope he gets it right against Norwich

All of this!

TL by far the best player of first half. Hope he knew/wanted to be subbed because that could be quite demoralising if it came as a surprise.

Our corners come in two varieties... Can't get past the first man and hoof it over everyone's head. Neither of these is ever going to be very effective. Baffles me completely why we cannot place a better ball in from a corner. Does no one ever practice?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Positives? We looked in serious danger of a thrashing at 2-0, perhaps even more so at 3-0. That didn't happen, and the scoreline doesn't look embarrassing against a very good Man Utd side who eased off a bit once the win was in the bag, and allowed us some time and space to play some decent football at times. We were maybe unlucky not to pull one back but overall it was a very fair result and one that I think everyone will take on the chin, and then move on.

Trossard looked very impressive at times, but at this rate his "impact sub" reputation is going to be hard to shake off.

The game was over by half time. Lamptey went off to save him for Norwich. A far more important game for us.

Same reason Maupay only player 45 and Dunk came off early.

I understand we were beaten by much the better team but we only conceded a third because of our push to get back into the game, and I take quite a lot of positives from that performance.

Despite the scoreline we don't look like cannon fodder.
Duffy was outstanding and is in good form.
Lamptey really is a bit special.
Trossard got into excellent positions and with a bit more game time will start taking those chances.
Some smart freekicks from the training ground.
Connolly has a wicked shot on him. Against a lesser 'keeper than De Gea and he might be on the scoresheet.
Bissouma looking extremely tidy.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Not if we play like today, that 2nd half would have beaten most teams in the bottom half with ease.

Hmmm, not wanting to darken your rose tinted glasses but pre COVID we didn’t beat any of the ‘winnable games’ at home to bottomish teams so I don’t think Norwich away is likely to be a case of just turning up. Been to Carrow Road many times and (electricity provided!) it’s far from a happy hunting ground. Anyway, we shall see...roll on Sat!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hmmm, not wanting to darken your rose tinted glasses but pre COVID we didn’t beat any of the ‘winnable games’ at home to bottomish teams so I don’t think Norwich away is likely to be a case of just turning up. Been to Carrow Road many times and (electricity provided!) it’s far from a happy hunting ground. Anyway, we shall see...roll on Sat!

We can agree. :D Saturday is going to be a stern test I feel. While it's been great for us everyone below us not winning, it's also kept Norwich in it. Beating us would give them a huge lifeline. Going to be as tense as they come. It will be termed a 'must win' but given we are at 33 points, it's really a 'must not lose'. A point wouldn't be a disaster.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I quite enjoyed the performance. I think Man Utd are in particularly good form and are a dangerous opponent, we set our stall out to defend and we did that pretty well in my opinion but their quality showed. If we'd have nicked a goal back when we started the second half well, I'm confident we could have nicked a draw.

Norwich is the game which matters on saturday, I'm feeling confident we'll get the right result.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
From a PL point of view - United look back to their best and on that performance can provide a real challenge next season.

For us - Very, very little :nono:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Positives, we looked OK 2nd half and caused them some problems although they eased off once the 3rd went in.
Trossards best performance? Certainly it was up there.
The Lamptey hype might recede a bit. His naivety and lack of experience was there for all to see last night. There is a very good player there but hes a long way from the finished article.
Bissouma is starting to really look the part.
I think/hope Potter will realise he got it wrong last night. The thinking was sound enough, defend deep keep it tight and hope to change the game with attacking subs against a tiring Utd. It didn't work and I think he has the humility and intelligence to see that. He now knows how not to set up.
Half time game management. Potter is not passive and saw and rectified the mistakes he and the team had made 1st half. Remember he is learning at this level too not just the team. He made two subs that I and most of the support wouldn't have made and it worked. United's 3rd goal is a pure class and the break would've hurt better teams than us.
Expectation levels. I am as guilty as the next of seeing the 1st 2 games back, thinking we have turned a corner and next year it'll be europe :D We are getting better but there is a fair way to go yet.
Lastly, we are in transition, this is going to happen. This season we have changed our manager, our style of play and half the team. We have lowered the average age and will again next season. None of this can be achieved without fluctuation in performance levels and occasional tough lessons from good teams and they are a good team. We let 4 in at City earlier in the season and I thought we played better that day. These things are part of the journey...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
In this round of matches Villa, Watford and Albion have nul points.

Let's hope Bournemouth, Norwich and West Ham do likewise today....

..and the road runs out a little more.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We can agree. :D Saturday is going to be a stern test I feel. While it's been great for us everyone below us not winning, it's also kept Norwich in it. Beating us would give them a huge lifeline. Going to be as tense as they come. It will be termed a 'must win' but given we are at 33 points, it's really a 'must not lose'. A point wouldn't be a disaster.

Yay! You’re back on the Xmas card list Boldy!! :kiss:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I never said it would be a case of just turning up. Where did I say that? I said IF we play like we did against Man Utd we will probably win.

Implied. Anyway. Chill. It’s like to you’re looking for an argument over nothing.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

To be fair ... our last 3 games we've (mostly) played a whole lot better than we were playing pre-Covid. Apples and oranges come to mind. We've beaten Arsenal, should have beaten Leicester, and had an unrewarded but positive second half against an in-form Man U. All up, we've taken 4 points from games we could maybe have hoped to get 1 from and we've cleared 3 of the tough matches from the schedule while putting some extra points between us and the chasing pack. Lamptey has come into the line up and shown he's more than ready for it. Biss is looking like he's coming into his own.

At the moment (depending on tonight's results) I'm not seeing how 3 teams overtake us unless we have an absolutely dire run from here. In particular, I'm looking at West Ham. Their closing matches ... if they get ahead of us, they'll probably have dented the chances of Watford and Villa getting ahead.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No, again, I never implied we could just turn up and win. I have always said IF we play like that we SHOULD win. I am not looking for an argument but object to people twisting my words for their own agenda.

Bloomin heck, have you been alone throughout lockdown? :bigwave: Relax...take deep breaths. No agendas. No ‘twisting’ of words.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Gonna add one more positive. I watched the game to the end.
Last season, I'd have turned off at 3-0 as we would have had no chance of a come back. This season, I feel we can turn games and although we didn't on this occasion, I'm more optimistic of us doing something special

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We are where we are for a reason (although I have no idea what it is).

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Positive? I think people will start to question Potter and I think that is a good thing. Sometimes you need to know who your best players are and what formation to play them in.
I look at Dunk, Webster, White, Burn, Duffy, Bernardo, March, Lamptey, Molumby, Propper, Mooy, Bissouma, Alzate, Ali J, Trossard, Mc, Maupay and Connolly and I see the potential for a good team. But they need a bit more consistency (especially given many of them are relatively young).
I hope over the summer he reflects and realises that he isn't a tactical genius- nobody is. Teams are successful because they work hard and because players know their positions and roles inside out. I hope games like this, where he so obviously got it wrong, cause that moment of introspection. If that happens and we make 2 or 3 genuinely good signings we can push on next year. If not it'll be more of the same.

Totally agree with you there.

But consistency will only come when players - particularly as they are generally so young - get a run of games. Giving a debut to a young fullback then next game expecting him to go and play right wing isn't going to help. You will also get more consistency when the same formation / tactics are utilised.

Chopping and changing the personnel and expecting them to play a different role or formation in every game is not the way to achieve consistency.

I like Potter and I'm pretty sure he will come good for us but he needs to be more consistent in selection & formation and then I'm sure we will see more consistency from the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here