Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from Tonight (Wolves)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yep.

Made a couple of decent saves and claims, and swept up a lot of dangerous situations.

Bad howler of course, but that's going to happen playing the way we do.
Exactly this. The 'snuffing out chances early' facet of a goalkeeper's game seems to be something some fans just can't get their head around. Going right back to the Ben Roberts days when people used to moan about him coming off his line to sweep up. Used to get hammered for the occasional mistake despite nipping loads of potential goals in the bud.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He played, we conceded two. That's why I don't want him in the team, because he's always going to be picking the ball out of his net. Luckily, we got away with it against Everton but every time Man Utd went forward they put the ball in his net - we were just lucky they can't time their runs. A bad goalkeeper undermines the ability of the team, and he's a bad goalkeeper at this level.
And the other fella conceded three. What's your point, Dwayne Mk II?

Bart has conceded more goals through Fannying Around At The Back (TM) than Steele, who is more than capable as a back-up keeper, or when called upon. He, for example, kept a clean sheet against Everton who, I believe, have scored in each of their other games this season :shrug:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Wasn't Wieffer the one who was written off by some 'experts' on here the other week after about five minutes on the pitch?
Written off? Doubt it. More likely to be down to your definitions.

He was ok yesterday. Good to see him back on the pitch but probably not starting this weekend, think it'll be Ayari and Baleba.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
And the other fella conceded three. What's your point, Dwayne Mk II?

Bart has conceded more goals through Fannying Around At The Back (TM) than Steele, who is more than capable as a back-up keeper, or when called upon. He, for example, kept a clean sheet against Everton who, I believe, have scored in each of their other games this season :shrug:
My point has been made. Steele will always concede goals because he's not very good. It's just a fact and proven over the last few seasons. He plays - we concede goals and it's very hard to win games at this level if you haven't got a good goalkeeper. You mention Wolves conceding three, they signed Johnstone from Palace this summer and dropped Sa because he was performing badly. It's the joke really of playing your sub-standard goalkeeper in the Cup and keeping them out of the team in the league.

Hopefully last night was the last time we'll see Steele play and we'll be far better off for it. Much like replacing players who aren't good enough on pitch to help the team develop and improve, we need to shift Steele on. I'd have preferred to drop him to number 3 and have Rushworth as back up for Verbruggen this season and blood Rushworth in the cup games. There's no value in playing Steele now in my opinion, Rushworth would have been better off here and if Bart gets an injury then he's playing in the Premier League. As it is, if Bart gets an injury we're going to suffer a drop in form.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I sat next to an Arsenal fan last night and he was staggered at the quality of Brighton's play, the quickness of the moves, and some of the talent on display. Says he never sees Arsenal play like that in the games he catches at the Emirates and even joked about switching allegiances. Kept asking if we were always this good.

Apart from that weird 20 minutes at the start of the second half, I'd say we were a very entertaining watch.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Coudn’t get a stream so listened to Sussex radio. It sounded exciting. Don’t we want excitement? I know I do as long as we win but we have to take the risk and reward. Roberto taught us that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My point has been made. Steele will always concede goals because he's not very good. It's just a fact and proven over the last few seasons. He plays - we concede goals and it's very hard to win games at this level if you haven't got a good goalkeeper. You mention Wolves conceding three, they signed Johnstone from Palace this summer and dropped Sa because he was performing badly. It's the joke really of playing your sub-standard goalkeeper in the Cup and keeping them out of the team in the league.

Hopefully last night was the last time we'll see Steele play and we'll be far better off for it. Much like replacing players who aren't good enough on pitch to help the team develop and improve, we need to shift Steele on. I'd have preferred to drop him to number 3 and have Rushworth as back up for Verbruggen this season and blood Rushworth in the cup games. There's no value in playing Steele now in my opinion, Rushworth would have been better off here and if Bart gets an injury then he's playing in the Premier League. As it is, if Bart gets an injury we're going to suffer a drop in form.
I've LITERALLY just given an example where he DIDN'T concede a goal. He's had nine clean sheets in 35 PL appearances.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024

Apart from the one howler at the end, Steele had a really good game. He was assertive and positive, constantly grabbing the ball at someone’s feet or in mid-air. And a great stop in the first half from I think, Lima. One of his best IMO. Just a shame about the single brain fart.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Come on, he's rubbish. He started the game and we conceded 2. Of course we did, we always do with him in the team. He's not good enough on the pitch, so I don't want to see him play for the team again. I'm sure he's fine around the club, good influence and all that - which is very important in building a culture in the squad, but I don't want to see him play again. Every club has a happy second choice goalkeeper.
How come you so often see decent second choice keepers wanting to move so they can get regular first team football, then? Ramsdale has already been mentioned, but he’s certainly not alone!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I sat next to an Arsenal fan last night and he was staggered at the quality of Brighton's play, the quickness of the moves, and some of the talent on display. Says he never sees Arsenal play like that in the games he catches at the Emirates and even joked about switching allegiances. Kept asking if we were always this good.

Apart from that weird 20 minutes at the start of the second half, I'd say we were a very entertaining watch.

Hmmm maybe he follows arsenal ladies.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Think about that from the development of Rushworth perspective

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Think about that from the development of Rushworth perspective
I think playing cup games here and training our elite facility wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for his development. Especially if Bart does get an injury, heaven forbid it actually happens. What I don't think we fans think about is the impact constant loans have on the player going out. The poor guy has lived in wildly different places in the last few seasons, a year at a time. Is that great for his development? Maybe, maybe not. Ultimately, we fans won't know what's best for the individual players development but we can all comment our opinions. Mine is that Rushworth would be a better 2nd choice for us than Steele, with a view to Rushworth being the long term being number 1 or challenging with Beadle for the shirt when Bart is inevitably sold for big money in the summer if he continues to develop as he has been.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I now know that the game is played at an incredible pace when viewed from the West Lower as opposed from the West Upper. Players have little or no time to make decisions and it gave me a better appreciation of that.

Negatives - someone kicked over my half full diet coke :cry: is that a West Lower thing ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here