Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth Saturday

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I see the Official Site is predicting a centre back pairing of Dunk and Elphick.

Gus has already said that Barnes will start and with Wood available I can't see him not getting a start. Gus is quoted as saying he will make "some" changes but "not too many"

So what are the predictions?

Brezovan
Taricco Dunk Elphick Painter
Bennett Sparrow Dicker Bridcutt
Wood Barnes

subs: Poke Kasim el Abd Murray Sandaza Kishishev Hart

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I had hope he would of learnt from the last 2 rounds plus to add weight to playing first team

-money if we win
-exposure in press and Gus credentials rising
-local derby for the fans

Be a shame especially as near sell out if we f*** about with this game.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I think with the form Murray is in, he needs to start. But I doubt that will happen.

I agree with that entirely and would select him ahead of Wood but don't think Gus will let Wood start on the bench in the circumstances.
Don't think I would start Dunk and Elphick together for that matter - I would rather keep one of our first choice pairing

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think from the FCUM and Woking games, the real lesson is not to piss about with the midfield too much, with no disrespect meant to Baz & Battipiedi.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm pretty sure it will be a first choice eleven, with maybe Brez getting a run out (only because it's been mentioned a couple of times already). This isn't just another cup game, this is the first real match we've had in cups, it's a biggish game, and a chance to test ourselves against Championship opposition which you would think will be useful to Gus.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think from the FCUM and Woking games, the real lesson is not to piss about with the midfield too much, with no disrespect meant to Baz & Battipiedi.

I think from the FCUM and Woking games the real lesson is that Baz and Battipiedi shouldnt get anywhere near our first team ever!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
it's a biggish game, and a chance to test ourselves against Championship opposition which you would think will be useful to Gus.

This.
If we have pretentions of being a Championship club next season, then a run-out against a current midtable Championship team will be a useful barometer for us. This could be a routine League game later on this year, so lets at least start with our strongest side and have a looky how we get on.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think from the FCUM and Woking games the real lesson is that Baz and Battipiedi shouldnt get anywhere near our first team ever!
Since then they've hardly been able to get on the bench, I'd be amazed if they start against Portsmouth.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I see the Official Site is predicting a centre back pairing of Dunk and Elphick.

Gus has already said that Barnes will start and with Wood available I can't see him not getting a start. Gus is quoted as saying he will make "some" changes but "not too many"

So what are the predictions?

Brezovan
Taricco Dunk Elphick Painter
Bennett Sparrow Dicker Bridcutt
Wood Barnes

subs: Poke Kasim el Abd Murray Sandaza Kishishev Hart

To be honest, the team on the official site is rarely right so I wouldn't worry too much about it. There is a quote from Gus saying he will make changes but not too many. I imagine that Brezovan, Elphick, Kishishev and Barnes will probably start but they are all relatively regular players anyway. Could be proved wrong though.

Looking forward to Saturday as FA Cup third round day is one of the highlights of the year. Could go either way with Portsmouth as they still have some very good players but lack depth and if they don't want to have players cup tied it will significantly weaken them. I just hope it is not a draw as the last thing we need is another replay.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Finchley is probably right. No chance for the peripheral squad members I think. It will just be Brez and potentially central defence where there might be changes from the regular personnel.

tbh I am more concerned with the league matches on Saturday and how they affect our lead

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Looking forward to Saturday as FA Cup third round day is one of the highlights of the year. Could go either way with Portsmouth as they still have some very good players but lack depth and if they don't want to have players cup tied it will significantly weaken them. I just hope it is not a draw as the last thing we need is another replay.

When was the last time we had an enjoyable third round match? I didn't go to Torquay last season but I understand that was rubbish. The time before was Mansfield at home; the less said about that the better.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I really don't see why you'd drop Greer or El-Abd for this one. Nor Murray.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

On the other hand I DO mean disrespect and those two can f*** off. Would rather have Hart. And thats saying something.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
When was the last time we had an enjoyable third round match? I didn't go to Torquay last season but I understand that was rubbish. The time before was Mansfield at home; the less said about that the better.

It has certainly been a while. On the basis that we got stuffed in the second half at West Ham, which meant that wasn't very enjoyable, then I would say the Tottenham game.

I know a lot of people will disagree but I am not overly bothered about the result on Saturday, except for not wanting a draw. A win would be great but if I was offered the chance to go through and play another Championship or League 1 team again, I am not sure I would take it. If we lost a good game but played well, then I wouldn't be too upset and we could concentrate on winning the league. Obviously though the best case scenario is a win and getting one of the big teams away in round four!

Jan 30, 2008
draw fine! trip to fratton super:D glad mullery didnt say oh lets lose to southend,ipswich,west brom and derby in the league cup and lets field a weaken team against palace in the fa cup:eek: only lost one game at home in league and both cups that year! get some backbone guys:smokin:
not much back bone amongst this lot on NSC :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here