Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth cant afford to pay for a scan for one of there injured players

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
sad news it has come to this: BBC Sport - Portsmouth cannot afford to scan Liam Lawrences injured calf

Portsmouth cannot afford to scan the injured calf of captain Liam Lawrence, manager Michael Appleton has revealed.
Pompey are expected to enter administration for the second time in three years on Friday, and money is so tight they are not able to assess Lawrence's injury.
"Liam can't walk properly," Appleton told BBC Radio Solent.
"Because we can't afford to scan his calf we don't know the full extent of the injury."

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I know the players haven't been paid this month but I'm sure if Lawrence was that bothered he'd pay for it himself seeing as they signed him on big wages.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

That was my initial thought, but on reflection, I imagine if you want it on the nhs you have to join a waiting list, if you pay, you can get it done privately now. Given fitness is an important part of the job, footballers generally can't wait. Especially if it dictates treatment.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Surely he can wander into the local A&E department at the QA near Portsmouth and they can do the rest. It's what most Saturday/Sunday league players do.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I know the players haven't been paid this month but I'm sure if Lawrence was that bothered he'd pay for it himself seeing as they signed him on big wages.

In his position, would you? Get paid £20k a week whether you play or not. Would you then spend money for a scan to see if there's anything you can do to speed up healing, or give nature a chance to work its course, and let the club pay when they've cleared their debt for 1p in the pound again.

If he wasn't willing to drop his wages, and happily took double the clubs wage limit each week, he doesn't strike me as the sort to put the club's financial health ahead of his own.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Soundbites from the various interested parties it seems, pushing for another new owner.

The support still seems completely apathetic. Maybe it would be different if they were at the arse end of the Football League and within spitting distance of becoming a non-league side. I would hope if we were in their position, we would have gone radio rental by now and snapped a crossbar or two.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Their bank account is frozen and they probably haven't paid previous medical bills. The players haven't received their January wages yet.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
He could walk into (sorry limp into) any pretty much any private hospital and get this scanned ASAP. His scan would be about £600. He must have that stashed away somewhere.

I'm trying really hard to feel some sympathy. I just can't find it tho.

In his position, would you? Get paid £20k a week whether you play or not. Would you then spend money for a scan to see if there's anything you can do to speed up healing, or give nature a chance to work its course, and let the club pay when they've cleared their debt for 1p in the pound again.

If he wasn't willing to drop his wages, and happily took double the clubs wage limit each week, he doesn't strike me as the sort to put the club's financial health ahead of his own.

Actually, the Pompey CVA was approved at 20p in the pound not 1p, albeit payable over 5 years. It was our friends up the A23 whose creditors got a real shafting with 1.9p, unless of course you were one of those STH's who'd paid in advance; after they'd voted the CVA through they then found their ST's were fully honoured - ie they got 100%.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Their bank account is frozen and they probably haven't paid previous medical bills. The players haven't received their January wages yet.
Yeah but many of these players are multi millionaires so losing one month is peanuts,if the players cared that much they would play for free until the air is cleared.Its 320k a month just to pay kitson and lawrence's wages:D

Why is this dragging on so long,i hope they don't get a lifeline as i want them demoted 2 divisions.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Here is what I honestly don't understand about Pompey. They're getting 1M a month from the EPL as parachute payments for up to 4 years. They are therefore guaranteed 12M quid a year for years with no strings attached (other than staying in business). Add ST, TV Money, Sponsorship, General Ticket Sales, Merchandise, Cup Money and they MUST be bringing in 20M a year. How have they found themselves in this mess (again), when their financial base MUST be better than 90% of any other club in the Championship AND for years to come???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Actually, the Pompey CVA was approved at 20p in the pound not 1p, albeit payable over 5 years. It was our friends up the A23 whose creditors got a real shafting with 1.9p, unless of course you were one of those STH's who'd paid in advance; after they'd voted the CVA through they then found their ST's were fully honoured - ie they got 100%.

I was suggesting them coming out of this latest administration at 1p in the pound, (mainly just to emphasise the unfairness of wiping their debts than because I actually expect them to come out at that rate, not referring to their last administration period)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Lawrence, pay for it yourself FFS. Ohhh poor player on 20 grand a week can't find the money for a scan. No sympathy from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here