Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portman road atmosphere.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I was sat in the south stand. Was amazed by the lack of noise from the ipswich fans. Thought brighton fans sounded in very good voice. Loved the fat man in the cap - even the ipswich fans couldn't stop laughing.

It was quite amusing when Ipswich scored that all the fans around that large chap started using his belly as a drum

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
I thought we made a fair bit of noise for most of the game, we only went a bit quiet when it was 1-3 and you couldn't see a away back, despite 6 (generous) minutes of additional time.
My first visit to Portman Road, thought it was a great old ground with lots of character, friendly fans & stewards, but acoustics were pants!
Plus, you really need a decent big screen!

Balti Pie was ok, view was great from the Visitors block, but the seats were awful; the leg-room was dire, it was more comfortable standing the whole game !

I think we should really appreciate our padded seats with space at the Amex! :)

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Personally i thought the stadium was a shit hole. No ventilation in a stand that must have been 35 degrees, wasps nest above our head.

Went to get a drink and something to eat at half time, all of the water from their little fridge had gone, and no pies, pasties in sight....

No beer either. The view was patchy, if it wasn't for the bloody great post in the way, it was the low roof that stopped you seeing the flight of any high ball. I am glad i have ticked that one off of my list of Stadia to visit.

As mentioned before lets be grateful the Amex is a superb stadium. (Thank You TB)

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Whether the Brighton fans made more noise or not doesn't really matter given the result. From where I was you could see the Ipswich fans behind the goal in the North Stand with their arms aloft though what noise they were making didn't seem to carry to where the away fans were.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
funniest thing we saw was 20 minutes into the second half, the score 1-1 , and some old guy in the front row of the south stand reading a book (yes a book )

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I had a mate in the North Stand who said he was impressed by the Away Support.

I also thought there North Stand was one of the loudest home supports we've come up against, they could be heard quite regularly.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
As others have said, it was simply a result of where the loud sections were situated. All very well singing "are you ever going to sing" to the family stand to our left, but they weren't much quieter than the East stand at the Amex. The lower tier at the other end seemed quite lively, although it's true the sound carried terribly.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Listening to the local radio after the match I was surprised to hear that they thought the home supporters really got behind the team. They were nothing. I'm sure that it wasn't just the accoustics. they just didn't sing. They claped a bit..........

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Listening to the local radio after the match I was surprised to hear that they thought the home supporters really got behind the team. They were nothing. I'm sure that it wasn't just the accoustics. they just didn't sing. They claped a bit..........

You were looking at the wrong stand, the home singing section is the North Stand, the furthest from the away section.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Have only been to Portman Road once and thought it was a good atmosphere, reasonable stadium and good location, although took a long time to get away from.
That was a few years ago now and am sure the Amex is making our fans more picky of others grounds. However, we should remember where we have come from!!. Biggest disappointment is to hear they now have goal music. Please NO to chavy.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
You were looking at the wrong stand, the home singing section is the North Stand, the furthest from the away section.

I realise that. But did they make any noise? I didn't even see them attemping to sing most of the time....And even if ONE section of the crowd sung once or twice is that really 'getting behind the team?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was sitting in the home end (top tier of the Brittania Stand), our fans were outsung today.

Do you ever get bored of having a pop at our fans at EVERY opportunity? :facepalm: Plus why the phrase outsung? 1.5k <20k - not often we'd outsing them even away?!

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Do you ever get bored of having a pop at our fans at EVERY opportunity? :facepalm: Plus why the phrase outsung? 1.5k <20k - not often we'd outsing them even away?!

How is that having a pop you mong? It's an honest appraisal. I didn't say they were shit or anything, just that the Ipswich fans were louder.

And if you'd bothered to take in anything else that was read in this thread instead of fuelling your pathetic vendetta against me, you may have noted that most BHA fans couldn't hear the Ipswich supporters, thus giving the impression that they thought they'd outsung them.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions you nob.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
How is that having a pop you mong? It's an honest appraisal. I didn't say they were shit or anything, just that the Ipswich fans were louder.

And if you'd bothered to take in anything else that was read in this thread instead of fuelling your pathetic vendetta against me, you may have noted that most BHA fans couldn't hear the Ipswich supporters, thus giving the impression that they thought they'd outsung them.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions you nob.

No vendetta, it's just every time I notice a post from you it's saying something negative about our fans - others have posted that before too - may tell you something.

As for using the word 'mong' - well done. Really nice.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Apart from sweltering, especially in the first half, I like Portman Road as a good old fashioned ground. They didn't seem to make much noise and the goal music is embarrassing, but if they couldn't hear us much either then the acoustics must just be poor. Lovely town though and enjoyed relaxing down by the quay before the game. The busker down there was particularly good I thought.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Brighton, when we played you I think I recall hearing only palace fans.

Really? Barely heard your lot all night till you were winning. Leeds a lot louder and the AMEX home fans v loud for both. Don't try act like Palarse have or ever have had a rep for being loud. You haven't. We have had a rep for being loud decent fans for a long time - at away games i always get good comments from home fans.

Sep 28, 2011
Really? Barely heard your lot all night till you were winning. Leeds a lot louder and the AMEX home fans v loud for both. Don't try act like Palarse have or ever have had a rep for being loud. You haven't. We have had a rep for being loud decent fans for a long time - at away games i always get good comments from home fans.
In the last 2 years weve had at least 18 clubs come on the BBS praising our support to high heaven, mug.

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
I also thought there North Stand was one of the loudest home supports we've come up against, they could be heard quite regularly.

I heard their North stand singing and considering the usual quiet home fans, thought they were OK. I was at the end of our section so being closest may have made a difference.

I do smile when others grounds are slated as being bad when you consider what we had for so long........would have killed for similar.

More importantly where did those 6 (SIX) minutes or extra time come from?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here