Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pope UK tour 2010

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Was it Prof. Richard Dawkins?

Is it legal to stop a citizens arrest? Is the Pope immune?

Not certain...don't know, nobody should be immune if it is suspected they tolerated or covered up abuse like that!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Can you make a citizens arrest on a head of state? Do they not have diplomatic immunity?

Again, not sure, didn't someone try to do that to Pinnochet when he visited?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
my children's school are taking three coaches to the beatification

I just looked up "beatification" and, disappointingly, it doesn't mean anything nearly as good as I thought it would
:whistle:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Again, not sure, didn't someone try to do that to Pinnochet when he visited?

Sort of thing you could see Peter Tatchell doing.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
A few weeks ago, not long after the visit was announced, there was word in the media of someone who was pressuring for him to be arrested or denied entry for having knowledge of paedophilia and child abuse and doing nothing about it...not sure that that is a crime, although completely abhorrent...is there still a risk he might have the cuffs slapped on him at the airport?

Was it Prof. Richard Dawkins?

Is it legal to stop a citizens arrest? Is the Pope immune?

Not certain...don't know, nobody should be immune if it is suspected they tolerated or covered up abuse like that!

Can you make a citizens arrest on a head of state? Do they not have diplomatic immunity?

The answer to your questions can be found in this thread.

Richard Dawkins to arrest Pope Benedict.!!!!! - North Stand Chat

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I just looked up "beatification" and, disappointingly, it doesn't mean anything nearly as good as I thought it would
:whistle:

Indeed Edna. Some of your colleagues probably think that it's the act performed on suspects that is passed off as them 'falling down the stairs'

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I was on that coach. Newman must have taken more than 1 coach then, as you are a few years younger than me and were in a different year.

I think it was selected based on attending church during lent. Ironically I missed the day the selection was made due to a dental appointment and fr freeman had to intercede on my behalf with Mr gee.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
As much as the all the NSC cool kids are no doubt going up to protest (or mouthing off about it on here and then not), I am in fact attending at Hyde Park.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
he has diplomatic immunity.

From the "Richard Dawkins to arrest Pope Benedict.!!!!!" thread

The Vatican City is currently the only sovereign state with general international recognition that is not a UN member (the Holy See, which holds sovereignty over the state of Vatican City and maintains diplomatic relations with other states, is a UN permanent observer)

Technically the Pope does not have diplomatic immunity if you were to follow the UN charters, rules, etc, but being head of the Catholic Church has allowed the Bishop of Rome to be treated as if he did.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As much as the all the NSC cool kids are no doubt going up to protest (or mouthing off about it on here and then not), I am in fact attending at Hyde Park.

I'm sure there are plenty of things you object to, but you then don't end up physically protesting against.

The pen (read keyboard) is more powerful than the sword. :albion1:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
This horrible little man with repugnant views is making the centre of Edinburgh a no-go area for ordinary working people next Thursday and is charging me for the privilege!

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
If we allow the likes of Menachem Begin to come here as a diplomat, considering his horrific war crimes, mostly against British soldiers and defenceless Palestine women and children, the crimes of the Catholic church seem quite reasonable in comparrison.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
my children's school are taking three coaches to the beatification and i think the same to the hyde park. our church are doing something similar. coaches are leaving at 2.45am and they had to draw names demand was so high.

That was because it was a trip to London. If he was doing his thing in Leeds I doubt they'd be quite so enthusiastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here