Pope UK tour 2010

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The last time a Pope was in Scotland he had to face a protest led by the famous scotsman the Rev Ian Paisley (and anagram of which is Vile IRA Pansey) so the Pope Mobile had to find a bit of welly to get through his group.

Now interestingly there were 4 Pope mobiles used when the last one visited (all built by Leyland - two truks and two range rover style). One is in the Leyland Museum. one is privately own in scotland and one was given to the Vatican. So learned people of NSC, where is the 4th and what is it used for?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
So learned people of NSC, where is the 4th and what is it used for?

Maybe this one:

....aaargh, don't you hate flickr...that was a really funny pic!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The last time a Pope was in Scotland he had to face a protest led by the famous scotsman the Rev Ian Paisley (and anagram of which is Vile IRA Pansey) so the Pope Mobile had to find a bit of welly to get through his group.

Now interestingly there were 4 Pope mobiles used when the last one visited (all built by Leyland - two truks and two range rover style). One is in the Leyland Museum. one is privately own in scotland and one was given to the Vatican. So learned people of NSC, where is the 4th and what is it used for?

Mercedes used to make them as well. There is one in their Stuttgart museum. It's a near little vehicle actually. I considered getting one as an small urban run-around.

They also have the car they gave Lady Diana, which she had to return after the press kicked up a fuss that she didnt drive an English rust bucket.

Dandyman

In London village.
If we allow the likes of Menachem Begin to come here as a diplomat, considering his horrific war crimes, mostly against British soldiers and defenceless Palestine women and children, the crimes of the Catholic church seem quite reasonable in comparrison.

Begin was an obnoxious right-wing terrorist but he had far less blood on his hands than the Church of Rome does.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Begin was an obnoxious right-wing terrorist but he had far less blood on his hands than the Church of Rome does.

Where would you position Begin in relation to Tony Blair bloody hands?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Mmm thousands dead in illegal war to remove a deeply unpleasant genoicidal dictator

or millions of African's dead because he doesn't want people to practice safe sex

Dandyman

In London village.

Begin is responsible for Irgun terrorism from 1944-48 and the Lebanon fiasco in 1982. Blair is co-author of the deaths of up to 1 million people in Iraq...

As an aside the Jewish Agency, headed by David Ben-Gurion, opposed the Irgun’s activities and denounced the Irgun as the “enemy of the Jewish People”. In 1944, the Haganah (the mainstream Jewish underground organisation) actively pursued and handed over Irgun members to the British authorities in what became known as The Hunting Season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Begin is responsible for Irgun terrorism from 1944-48 and the Lebanon fiasco in 1982. Blair is co-author of the deaths of up to 1 million people in Iraq...

As an aside the Jewish Agency, headed by David Ben-Gurion, opposed the Irgun’s activities and denounced the Irgun as the “enemy of the Jewish People”. In 1944, the Haganah (the mainstream Jewish underground organisation) actively pursued and handed over Irgun members to the British authorities in what became known as The Hunting Season.

Begin, Blair, Pope in this order?

Although I guess if we look at specific popes, as opposed to the position of pope, then maybe Benedict will shift to the left a little....as he's only been in office for a short while?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Begin, Blair, Pope in this order?

Although I guess if we look at specific popes, as opposed to the position of pope, then maybe Benedict will shift to the left a little....as he's only been in office for a short while?

and this certainly puts lightweights like Harold Shipman in their place.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm sure there are plenty of things you object to, but you then don't end up physically protesting against.

The pen (read keyboard) is more powerful than the sword. :albion1:

I have no problem with people who object but won't be physically protesting - in fact I think its an admirable standpoint - have your opposition but allow people to enjoy the event.

I was just referring to the couple who said they would be.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
What a load of bolloxs this thread is, a Guardianista binfest, go out its Friday enjoy it you boring fucks.

That's right mate. You go fiddle while Rome burns, eh? Fancy having an interest in serious issues. What a bunch of idiots we must be.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
In case anyone was interested, the 4th popemobile was sold to the emir of Qatar who used it to release his racing birds from as it had a retractable roof and had a constructor truck wheelbase

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I am amazed that so many people are interesed in travelling to see a person who
1. Has taken no action to allow priests to marry leading to many commiting acts against children,despite the reason given some years ago that it was a cheaper option to have single priests.
2. Insisting that condoms should not be used leading to a terrible illness being spread throughout the world.
He could have done so much good.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Has he done any warm up gigs, tried any new material on the Isle of Wight or something ?

And who is supporting ?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Has he done any warm up gigs, tried any new material on the Isle of Wight or something ?

And who is supporting ?

I believe he played a few small pubs unannounced to try some things out. I believe he's got a concept album due out too and is reforming David Bowie's Tin Machine project*

*I saw Tin Machine as I was desperate to see Bowie and it was, without doubt, the most self-indulgent, biggest pile of horse dung I've ever wasted money on. And I saw the 5-0 at Selhurst!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I am dissapointed to read an article on the BBC website this morning that there are still vast swathes of unsold tickets for the Popes tour, particularly with tickets being very reasonably priced at £25 each.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Why doesn't an enterprising TV channel / newspaper impose a blockade on coverage of this visit? Queen could make a name for herself and tell him to do one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here