Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POMPEY - what a mess!

I'm a trusting kind of fella. I've counted my loose change and I have 1,026yen waiting to be ploughed into the right business opportunity...

Good, that is enough money. All you need to do now is pay for a return flight for me to Tokyo and we can talk about the deal personally!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The first time the FA and Premier League have done the sensible thing and should continue and say that Portsmouth have no case for an appeal as they applied after the cut off, date end of story. At the same time they just bring ina rule to say that the club whoever it may be must be in the Premier League for the seasoin that they participate in Europe as they are going to represent English football and it cant be right for a Championship or Div 1 side to do that. As in Portsmouths case the place should be offered to the highest placed club in the Premiership who havent qualified for Europe by other means.

Last edited:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
At the same time they just bring ina rule to say that the club whoever it may be must be in the Premier League for the seasoin that they participate in Europe as they are going to represent English football and it cant be right for a Championship or Div 1 side to do that. QUOTE]

f*** me, what premiership club are you chairman of ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the same time they just bring ina rule to say that the club whoever it may be must be in the Premier League for the seasoin that they participate in Europe as they are going to represent English football and it cant be right for a Championship or Div 1 side to do that. QUOTE]

f*** me, what premiership club are you chairman of ?

I just want English football to be represented in Europe by the best teams and if a team finishes 7th in the Prem surely they must be better than a team that wins just 6 matches to win the FA Cup and then gets relegated.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But they'll still merrily write off all their debts to small companies and charities while paying off every penny owed to multi-millionaire footballers, then carry on next season like nothing's happened :angry:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The most damaging criticism of Andronikou is within a High Court ruling in December 2008. An appeal judge overturned an attempt by Shami Ahmed, the founder of Joe Bloggs, the clothing company, to avoid bankruptcy through an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA) handled by Andronikou.

HMRC and a spread-betting firm then known as Tradindex had opposed the IVA, which needed approval from three-quarters of Ahmed’s creditors. The fashion boss had run up more than £4m in gambling debts. But the IVA was successful because Andronikou had accepted the validity of £8m in alleged loans to Ahmed from members of his family, thereby making them creditors and giving them a vote on the IVA.

At an appeal by Tradindex, the judge took a different view and disallowed £5m of these family loans, thereby overturning Ahmed’s IVA, and he was forced into bankruptcy.

The judgment said: “Mr Andronikou’s conduct in these proceedings, particularly in relation to evidence filed by him on behalf [of Ahmed and his family], was manifestly inappropriate.” The judge also found that Andronikou “did fail to meet the standard to be expected of a reasonably competent insolvency practitioner”.

Oh my. I hope someone goes over every penny of Pompey's alleged debts VERY carefully.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The first time the FA and Premier League have done the sensible thing and should continue and say that Portsmouth have no case for an appeal as they applied after the cut off, date end of story. At the same time they just bring ina rule to say that the club whoever it may be must be in the Premier League for the seasoin that they participate in Europe as they are going to represent English football and it cant be right for a Championship or Div 1 side to do that. As in Portsmouths case the place should be offered to the highest placed club in the Premiership who havent qualified for Europe by other means.

Can't 'be right'? IF someone wins their opportunity fair and square [while playing by the rules set out at the start of the season] of course its RIGHT.

Is this a Crodonilson-style wind-up post BG? :nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
By BG's reckoning then, if Fulham WIN this year's Europa League, should they not be allowed to defend it, because it 'wouldn't be right' for English football to be represented by a team who were not at the top of the prem?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Grant is bleating about not being able to enter Europe next season in this mornings Metro.

Of course, they did get there fair and square, despite not being able to afford the squad they assembled and effectively running the club whilst insolvent. Teams that are sensible with their finances should always be at the back of the queue behind those that print money and throw wads of £50s with the carefree abandon akin to Louis on the dancefloor with Flashdance blaring from the speakers.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But they'll still merrily write off all their debts to small companies and charities while paying off every penny owed to multi-millionaire footballers, then carry on next season like nothing's happened :angry:

............ah but they will be carrying on with a minimum of 2 years' parachute payments (could be 4 years depending how PL Chairmen vote next month!) and with those extra millions should have a fair old advantage over their championship opponents despite (reportedly) paying their creditors less than 10p in the pound

WHO SAID CHEATS DON'T PROSPER?
:angry::rant:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
............ah but they will be carrying on with a minimum of 2 years' parachute payments (could be 4 years depending how PL Chairmen vote next month!) and with those extra millions should have a fair old advantage over their championship opponents despite (reportedly) paying their creditors less than 10p in the pound

WHO SAID CHEATS DON'T PROSPER?
:angry::rant:

I would think the top 10 or so will vote no and the bottom 10 will vote yes.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Surely the Board at Portsmouth should be disbarred from ever running a business again because if you ran a 'normal' business and you traded whilst insolvent you would not have been carrying out your fidicery (sp?) duties as a Company Director. This would then make you liable for prosecution I believe.

How do clubs get away it!!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe any club that gains a European place through winning a cup or whatever should be allowed to participate and also all clubs should gain automatic re-entry to defend it unlike the World Cup. But I also believe that one of the criteria for this entry is that the club should be in the top division of their respective national league at the time of competing.

This was one of the advantages when they used to have the European Cup Winners Cup it was specifically for cup winners or runners up, if the winners had qualified for another competition, and if a club was relegated to what was then Div 2 it didnt matter.

I just do not think that I would want my countries football association being represented in a European competition by a team that wasnt good enough to hold their own in our primary league and won a cup based on 6 good results throughout the season. I believe that it demeans the competion to have such inferior competitors. This is a view I hold and will stand by others may agree or disagree but being able to express an opinion goes towards making us a great nation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Pompey administrator this morning was slamming the FA & Premier league's decision to block their entry to the Europa league as "a shambles".

Yes, that's the club £119m in debt and on its knees, that has shafted its creditors, had rules changed to give them a chance of not going to the wall, and all at a time when the top end of the game is awash with cash, describing someone else as "a shambles". You couldn't make it up.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I just want English football to be represented in Europe by the best teams and if a team finishes 7th in the Prem surely they must be better than a team that wins just 6 matches to win the FA Cup and then gets relegated.

So had we won the 1983 Cup Final, you would have been happy for us to be denied a place in the UEFA Cup!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What I find disgraceful is making a decision that the club finishing 7th will get the Europa place meaning that Liverpool will get into Europe by default.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here