Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey set for administration....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why do we have to have this handwringing whenever a rival team gets into financial trouble? ???

IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING that most of us wouldn't want them to go bust. Where's the fun in not ever playing them again? However, I will laugh my tits off if this is the beginning of a slump that sees Portsmouth slide towards the Conference.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
im with Harty on this one although, is it a coinsidence that every club that Redknapp has left has ended up in adminstration or severe financial difficulty??

As my grannie used to say 'That man's chickens are coming home to roost'

I think he could go down along with Storrie and Mandaric, just ask Lester Piggott.

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
Why do we have to have this handwringing whenever a rival team gets into financial trouble.

IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING that most of us wouldn't want them to go bust. Where's the fun in not ever playing them again? However, I will laugh my tits off if this is the beginning of a slump that sees Portsmouth slide towards the Conference.

In fairness, I laughed like f*** when you had to play at Gillingham and when you dropped into Division Three. You lot were the same when we went into Admin the last time. It's all part of the fun.

It isn't funny when a club goes out of existence though, in my opinion. I hope they get out of trouble. (By selling all their players, having their tea-lady bossing the midfield and groundsharing at St Mary's).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
In all seriousness, I think this highlights a big problem in the Premier League. Portsmouth are not the only club that were living beyond their means.

From West Ham's new owners:
"We've paid down some of the debt and injected some working capital but there's still more than £100 million of debt. In that there's £50 million owed to banks and there's £40 million owed to other clubs. There's not a penny to come in, they [the previous owners] have borrowed against the next two years of season-ticket money. The sponsors have paid 70 per cent of their three-years up front.

"In addition there's the club's settlement to Alan Curbishley [the former manager who won his claim against the club for constructive dismissal], so the real debt is about £110 million."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In all seriousness, I think this highlights a big problem in the Premier League. Portsmouth are not the only club that were living beyond their means.

From West Ham's new owners:
"We've paid down some of the debt and injected some working capital but there's still more than £100 million of debt. In that there's £50 million owed to banks and there's £40 million owed to other clubs. There's not a penny to come in, they [the previous owners] have borrowed against the next two years of season-ticket money. The sponsors have paid 70 per cent of their three-years up front.

"In addition there's the club's settlement to Alan Curbishley [the former manager who won his claim against the club for constructive dismissal], so the real debt is about £110 million."

It's not that big a problem though - West Ham had a buyer. There are a lot of clubs in the FL that have much, much lower debt and can't find anyone to help.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
:down:

Never nice to see this happen to any football club.
Normally i would agree but when you spend ridiculous amount on players and wages which is beyond the clubs means then they deserve everyting they get.
I fed up with these clubs having with huge debts just so they can compete in the premiership or win silverware while league football clubs really struggle to balance there books.
You don't see teams like Wigan/Bolton/Fulham over spending.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If they survive as a club, it will probably be at the expense of losing Fratton Park, (Groundshare at St Mary's) and will they look back at the FA Cup win as a great day for the club but also the very beginning of the end?

Very similar to us then except we managed to lose the FA cup :( I don't like Pompey but do I wish the same shit on them as happened to us? Nope, I wouldn't even wish that on Palace.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It's a NINE point deduction for administration in the Prem, not ten. The ten point thing is an FL rule.

Interesting. I suppose then, as they have different rules and penalties, that you could have a situation where the FL refuse to accept an in-administration debt-ridden club into its membership.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Funny how all of Redknapp's former teams suffer financial problems after he leaves. Should be Tottenham's turn in a year or so.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
They are trying to arrange another "march". See if they get more than 60 this time. John Westwood is scrabbling to get himself in the news again, but he is doing them no favours, arriving half pissed, clutching a can of lager and talking shite. Pompey are picking up speed on the slide now, they think it's a matter of time before Gaydamak calls his debts in against the ground. Where would they groundshare though? They could have Withdean when we leave, I am sure Catt would make them welcome, especially the bells and drums. Perhaps the Arsegas could publish this as a story just to see his head explode!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Once they are relegated, and the plastic Johnny-come-lately fans that arrived when they made the Prem, have cleared off, they'll be fine sharing at Havant and Waterlooville.

"Best fans in the country" my arse.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If only our temporary ground was as nice as Havant & Waterloovilles.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mr Redknapp clearly saw the iceberg coming or at least the one that didn't have the bloke from the serious fraud office sitting on it.

As much as the likes of Pompey and Palace are our rivals, given all the hurt we went through you wouldn't wish this on any team.

Redknapp has a mysterious habit of seeing these things coming, it's almost like, I don't know, like he somehow KNOWS the boat is halfway down the river to financial Shit Creek :jester:

Secondly, I and many others absolutely WOULD wish relegation on them, because I can't stand their crappy ground (touche, I know), dump of a city, self-righteous fans and utter domination of local TV sports reports. If that relegation comes via a points deduction from going into administration- so be it. I'm not choosy.

They go bust: that would be a bit crap. They get relegated through their own financial stupidity? Sorry, but I will enjoy every second and so, I suspect, would many others on here.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why do we have to have this handwringing whenever a rival team gets into financial trouble? ???

Our survey said: TING! Right answer :clap:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally I want Portsmouth and Palace to be bouncing along at the arse end of the Championship. And Saints.

With us in the same division doing considerably better.

All four in the same division would be QUALLA. That, my friends, is what it is all about.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How many professional clubs have gone into administration over recent years then? Must be heading towards half the total of Premier League and Football League teams.

*tries to find list*

And how many have actually gone bust, while still in the League at least? Er...Maidstone United :(, Aldershot....can't think of any others? I'm talking about the last fifteen or twenty years, not clubs who folded in the 1960s, before anyone says it. So I'm quietly confident that a MASSIVE club such as Pompey, despite all their wailing, will somehow survive, even if it means slumming it in the Championship or (hopefully) lower for a few seasons.

Thus: little sympathy from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here