Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

bh11

Jun 27, 2009
Portsmouth FC

How can they get away with not paying their players on time and still alloud to sign new players yet bournemouth are operating on a squad of 13/14 and are still banned from signing new players

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
HOW many times do I have to say this? The size of ground is insignificant compared to the amount of money received from TV.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
HOW many times do I have to say this? The size of ground is insignificant compared to the amount of money received from TV.

TRUE.

The increase in the money earnt by clubs from the tv deals from the old one to the current deal was so much that Manchester United could have let everyone in for free this season and they would still be better off then they were before.

INCREDIBLE EH

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I also understand that they have cut back their budget for their youth teams. The numbers have been recently culled as they have no money to run it. Shameful really.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
TRUE.

The increase in the money earnt by clubs from the tv deals from the old one to the current deal was so much that Manchester United could have let everyone in for free this season and they would still be better off then they were before.

INCREDIBLE EH

I don't understand. If they hadn't sold Ronaldo for one of the biggest fees of all time they'd have lost £50m, i'm sure they've been making a profit up until the last two years

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
i don't understand. If they hadn't sold ronaldo for one of the biggest fees of all time they'd have lost £50m, i'm sure they've been making a profit up until the last two years

it's all gone bonkers

Very true.
That and the fact that once ONE of the EPL clubs goes into admin, you could see a domino effect as all the chickens start coming come home to roost when other creditors get the willys over what they're owed.

Scudamore would no doubt like Pompey to limp through till the end of the season, get relegated to the Championship and THEN go into administration. Its not his problem then, is it.
Very very true, and you managed to get the words 'chicken' and 'willys' into a perfectly argued point.:clap2:

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
If all the premiership clubs get similar amounts from TV deals then gate money makes the difference..................... unless you are Man City or Chelsea obviously.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
expect administration in the next few weeks all its going to take is one of their considerable creditors to say enough is enough like happened at Palace.

What has happened to John Keeley? Didn't he go there for the stability and to work under Redknapp

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can see football having to have govt. legislation imposed on them...things
like this just shouldn't happen and obviously the FA is impotent/incompetent
and up their own arses to do anything...

the government will not do anything as the clubs are run as companies and as long as they comply with company law all is fine. the government cannot do much anyway as if there are FIFA rules they would fall foul of if they did, with implications for FA/England not being allowed to play internationals (see Togo).

Mawhinney was in the Standard recently and said that he wasnt happy with the fit and proper rule but it was a compromise (the rules are agreed by the members), and the FL doesnt have the resources to heavily vet each and every director of every club if they applied a strict, prescriptive set of rules. imagine that applies to the FA just as much.

That and the fact that once ONE of the EPL clubs goes into admin, you could see a domino effect as all the chickens start coming come home to roost when other creditors get the willys over what they're owed.

not sure about that, banks and investors would invest in individual clubs on their own merit, their earnings, other debts etc. you dont stop investing in all banks just RBS and Lloyds are shit, HSBC and Barclahys still look sound.

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
It is amazing to think that they can still sign new players when they are unable to pay the ones they've got.

There seems to be no sign of any action being taken against the tw4ts running Portsmouth by the FA or Premierleague. Just like 1996/97 along the coast.

On the bright side think how our our much discussed wide catchment area will be increased with the demise of our two closest neighbours.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I don't understand. If they hadn't sold Ronaldo for one of the biggest fees of all time they'd have lost £50m, i'm sure they've been making a profit up until the last two years

United always make an operating profit before interest charges are added I believe which are in the region of £60m per year so the only reason they made a profit was due to the sale of the Winker, without him they would have made a loss and quite a considerable one. Before the Glaziers took over United were actually debt free.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Right up until the moment the Glaziers walked in. I've had a bit of a look at the finances at Old Trafford, and they take some believing. Essentially the Glaziers have raped them, and are continuing to rape them year after year. £60m a year in Management Charges, £700m in loan / bond debt, with nearly £50m a year to pay in interest ..... that is just not sustainable, on a turnover of about £280m, and a wage bill of about £125m.

Someone mentioned the domino effect that could happen if one EPL team goes into admin, well, it could go all the way through the league with Man City and Chelsea as teh only exceptions. Man Utd have issued £500m worth of bonds paying nearly 9% interest, but the value of the bonds have already dropped by 5% in price. That can only be because people are not confident Man Utd will be able to repay them in 7 years time when they are due to.

If the city are losing faith in Man Utds long term financial strength, then goodness only knows what they think of the rest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I also understand that they have cut back their budget for their youth teams. The numbers have been recently culled as they have no money to run it. Shameful really.

Harry had done that, he pretty much released every youth product they had...

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
On the admin issue, my mates who are STHs at Fratton Park reckon its because the club are still in denial and still think that the financial backing is there. The farce that we have all seen since the summer would suggest otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here