Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hope they don't get themselves out of this mess. Let them sink!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/03/balram-chainrai-portsmouth-owner

As I read that, he lent them a load of money to keep them alive and they have defaulted on payments envoking clauses is the deal that means he now owns the club. He is merely a businessman and will do anything he can to get his money back. This is even worse for Pompey.

Dindane will leave if they can't pay Lens in a couple of weeks.

They are screwed. What I can't work out is if it's best for this new guy if they go into administration onthe 10th or not. One hopes they avoid it until the March deadline when they would have to carry the 10 point deduction to next season, meaning they start in the Championship with minus 10 because they certainly aren't staying up this year.

Man United away on Saturday is it? Oh well.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Went to the game last night in the Pompey end. They are proper fans, deserve a lot better. Lots of parallels with our situation. On the pitch it was ridiculous they lost, if they'd had the dosh to even get someone like Mido or Gudjohnsen in they'd have a good chance of staying up.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
This new chap sounds like yet another local lad made good, Hants born and bred I shouldn't wager, undoubtably knowledgeable about the club's history, tradition, not looking to make any money out Portsmouth, probably just doing it for the love of the club and the love of the beautiful game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Went to the game last night in the Pompey end. They are proper fans, deserve a lot better. .

Bullshit. They DESERVE nothing.

They are way above their natural station. They've had years in the Prem, days out at Wembley, all paid for on tick, and now it's coming home to roost.

Sure the current situation sucks, but were those 'proper fans' complaining and advocating caution when they were spending millions they never had, on big name players?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
They are way above their natural station. They've had years in the Prem, days out at Wembley, all paid for on tick, and now it's coming home to roost.

Sure the current situation sucks, but were those 'proper fans' complaining and advocating caution when they were spending millions they never had, on big name players?

Hmm. I wouldn't have fancied saying that on the train home last night. Kept my head down and my gob round a tin of Guinnerrrrrrs. The "Avram Grant's blue and white army (we hate Scummers)" chant went on for ages though, it was pretty much drum and bass. Almost made me look forward to Orient on Satdi.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hmm. I wouldn't have fancied saying that on the train home last night. Kept my head down and my gob round a tin of Guinnerrrrrrs. The "Avram Grant's blue and white army (we hate Scummers)" chant went on for ages though, it was pretty much drum and bass. Almost made me look forward to Orient on Satdi.

What an odd way to spend an evening.

Did you sing the Pompey Chimes, too?

Do you go and support Palace, as well?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Busted%20official.jpg

???

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Word.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This new chap sounds like yet another local lad made good, Hants born and bred I shouldn't wager, undoubtably knowledgeable about the club's history, tradition, not looking to make any money out Portsmouth, probably just doing it for the love of the club and the love of the beautiful game.

A touching picture. I would think that is the likely scenario.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Probably a bit of positive news for them at last. At least this fella has parted with cash unlike the old lot. Nothing is clear though as to what will happen.

Awaiting Peter Storries take on it, will probably have to read between the spin though.

This fella should at least stave off the winding up order.....bastard

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What I can't work out is if it's best for this new guy if they go into administration onthe 10th or not.

I would imagine it depends on how this money of his has been treated, or can be treated prior to administration.

I would suggest he wants his money out, and as quickly as possible, so my advice to him would be to ensure the loan is set up as a debenture loan, which would have him top of the list of people to be paid out, as opposed to being bottom of the pile as a shareholder. As soon as that is sorted, take them into administration, and get his money out by way of a sale of the trade to a new company. Debts are minimal in the New Co, and they just have to accept the 10 pt penalty.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Yes some of them were. I`ve a couple of Pompey supporting friends who were more than a little concerned about their spending especially as they are more than familiar with our situation which grew out of our over spending during the early eighties.
Trouble was no one invited then onto the board to let them voice their concerns......................funny that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes some of them were. I`ve a couple of Pompey supporting friends who were more than a little concerned about their spending especially as they are more than familiar with our situation which grew out of our over spending during the early eighties.
Trouble was no one invited then onto the board to let them voice their concerns......................funny that.
I think there's a big difference between musing over a pint that the club seems like a bottomless pit of money these days, and investigating the accounts in fine detail before pointing out where it could all end up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'm sure they were. I expect loads of them boycotted the FA Cup final in protest. Oh hang on, no they didn't - they popped down Fratton Park and bought a new shirt with UTAKA on the back.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm sure they were. I expect loads of them boycotted the FA Cup final in protest. Oh hang on, no they didn't - they popped down Fratton Park and bought a new shirt with UTAKA on the back.

I remember being gobsmacked that Steve foster was earning 75k a year around 1981. What was I to do Hansy ? I`m sorry I let the Albion get into the financial mess it did, I really am.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think there's a big difference between musing over a pint that the club seems like a bottomless pit of money these days, and investigating the accounts in fine detail before pointing out where it could all end up.

Simster, unless you can prove that financial irregularities are afoot or a certain 'non profit clause'' has been changed, then you can warn all you want. The people running the club dont listen.Its a company like any other.
Maybe the day will come when 5 thousand Brighton fans march across Brighton singing ''WE SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY''

Yeah right.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster, unless you can prove that financial irregularities are afoot or a certain 'non profit clause'' has been changed, then you can warn all you want. The people running the club dont listen.Its a company like any other.
Maybe the day will come when 5 thousand Brighton fans march across Brighton singing ''WE SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY''

Yeah right.
But quite clearly, Albion never ever spent anything like what Portsmouth have done, even relatively speaking. I think our highest finish was only 13th place or something. Portsmouth were spending like a club of the stature of a team like Aston Villa, yet they were getting 20,000 at home and that was in a shit ground, meaning they were probably attracting even less corporate cash than a team like Wigan.

So I think there might have been alarm bells here if we were so blatently outspending similar sized provincial clubs actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here