Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey Opinion of BHA

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with LondonBlue. I don't think there was too much to get upset about. I thinkwe can be predictable, and Gillingham handled us pretty well. But it is one thing knowing what we are going to do, and another preventing it. Especially when you are knackered from the chasing you have been given. In their shoes - as a seasoned Championship side I suspect I would have felt the same.

I hope their actual scouts came to the same conclusion. We want to be under-estimated.
This is a very good point. What Albion did very well against the Jills was to win the ball in midfield and quickly get it under control and stroke the ball about. Some of our forward movement was a bit laboured but the simple fact is that it is far more knackering when your opponents have the ball, even if you do know what they're going to do with it.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
The more I think about it the more I think Gus was experimenting with tactics at the Gilligham game ahead of the visit to Portsmouth. I would have expected a 4-4-2 against a lower league side but instead he went for a more defensive 4-5-1 with the three centre midefielders more defensive than creative ball players. This meant it didnt break Gills down enough but it is more likely to work against Pompey on Saturday, especially if you bring in CMS and , possibly, KLL.

My only concern is that relying on the creativity of the wings and not having creativity in the middle CAN make us predictable.

I agree, I'd still be confident of Dicker picking out a pass tho, once he gets his act together again.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I just watched the Pompey - Barnet highlights on the BBC site. Their defence seemed painfully slow and Barnet got in behind them several times. I can see the likes of CMS, Buckly, Noone and KLL having a field day against them.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
and as for his comment on the fans, i am led to believe that we have sold our allocation for the game, so lets sing our hearts out and make them stand up and accept that there is only one team on the south coast that is going places....

too right, lets really up the singing and carry the atmosphere from saturday and gills right through to pompey, not sure how we'll get on but too say were too predictable i wouldnt agree with, if its so predictable why didnt we lose to donny and pompey and watford last year?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This is a very good point. What Albion did very well against the Jills was to win the ball in midfield and quickly get it under control and stroke the ball about. Some of our forward movement was a bit laboured but the simple fact is that it is far more knackering when your opponents have the ball, even if you do know what they're going to do with it.

Spot on. There's a great story about cantona when he wa at united and ferguson allowed him to take a training session as Eric was always banging on about the need to get the ball down and pass it even in defence. In the session, the side cantona was on were told to just pass to each other and not worry about progressing up the pitch. After 15 passes, cantona called a halt and gary neville mouthed off that after all that, they'd got nowhere. Cantona pointed to the opposition who were, by now, all over the place and out of position.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Unusually for me, I almost wish I was going to Portsmouth this Saturday. I have visions of Albion stroking the ball about in defence and midfield seemingly "getting nowhere" while Pompey barely have a touch and their mong crowd get right on their backs. Then two Albion goals in the ten mins before half time put the game to bed.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
I just watched the Pompey - Barnet highlights on the BBC site. Their defence seemed painfully slow and Barnet got in behind them several times. I can see the likes of CMS, Buckly, Noone and KLL having a field day against them.

Agree with this - judging on their marking for the 2 goals Middlesboro scored against them at the weekend CMS will rip them to pieces - so much space...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Unusually for me, I almost wish I was going to Portsmouth this Saturday. I have visions of Albion stroking the ball about in defence and midfield seemingly "getting nowhere" while Pompey barely have a touch and their mong crowd get right on their backs. Then two Albion goals in the ten mins before half time put the game to bed.

Know what you mean. My eldest has gone down with chicken pox so we abandoned our plans to go (hadnt got the tickets). This will be a good indicator of how our season will progress. Pity El Abd isnt around to carry on his duel with their front line from the cup game.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I am astounded that someone would still choose to post a positive appraisal of their team's chances based upon seeing their forthcoming opponents win a match while their own team was being outplayed and defeated by last season's 90th placed team, in the same cup competition. Truly beggars belief. They may well win but nothing that happened on Tuesday night could be positively viewed in Pompey!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm afraid I took a pompey fan (and STH) to the Gillingham game. He wasn't too impressed with our performance (I told him they were our reserves), but to be honest, neither was I (I'm not having some massive dig against our team, but we didn't impress). I know we'll have CMS back, but we'll have to improve to get anything from the pompy game.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I don't mind Pompey at all, fiercely working class city with a strong local support, let down by successive spiv owners. I prefer them to that arrogant shower further up the M27

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
With Ben-Haim and Hreidarsson in their back 4, with Dailly on the bench, it could be said that they lack pace at the back. Look forward to seeing our speed demons taking them on. Sure they'll dick on us in the air but cant imagine theyll be looking forward to CMS, Buckley, KLL, Noone running at them.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
With Ben-Haim and Hreidarsson in their back 4, with Dailly on the bench, it could be said that they lack pace at the back. Look forward to seeing our speed demons taking them on. Sure they'll dick on us in the air but cant imagine theyll be looking forward to CMS, Buckley, KLL, Noone running at them.

what i thought , tired old men against speedy young blokes ......1-2.

DanielT

I signed up to post something but after reading the thread, apart from the donut who posted the thread, I think the Portsmouth fans are OK in their replies. Here's a few

Eternal optimism - Love it.. although on the strength of tonights team - We couldn't beat an egg...
pompey72

dunno about running scared, but yep, not a lot of confidence floating around fratton at the moment.
pfcmick

My head says we will lose sadly. In my opinion Brighton will be top ten material if not a playoff place
frattonroar

Really? Support looked amazing on football league show on saturday, and did i read somewhere that 16,000 fans turned up for the carling cup?
matty-o-manic,

good fans, hope they do well this season, theyve been through some ***** in recent years.
pfcmick

I didn't have the heart to post after reading it!

Last edited:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think it beggars belief that somebody shows up at an opponents ground, on the same night his own team are playing 50 miles away. People can say what they like on a message board, but I firmly believe that sticking to this 'predictable' way of playing, we will take three points away from Fratton. It is after all the pattern we played whilst walking league1.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We dicked them last season and since then our team has got much stronger while theres has got worse.

Bring it on Pompey.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
One of the worst individual performances Ive seen for a while was Kanu at Withdean last year. If he's still in their set-up (which he is!) then it surely says a lot for their squad. Especially if theyve been signing has beens like Dailly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here