Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey fans bailing out the charities

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fans raise cash to bail out charities owed by Pompey - Portsmouth Today

Generous Pompey fans have given thousands of pounds to help charities owed money by the football club.

An appeal was set up by life-long Pompey fan Tom Purnell, 47, to help St John Ambulance raise £2,702 after reading about it being owed the money as one of the club's creditors.

It was revealed in a 70-page report last week that the club owes £119m to hundreds of businesses, groups, and individuals.

But Mr Purnell, who grew up in Portsmouth and Portchester, set up an online fundraising page and within 24 hours it had reached the goal.

He has already started a new web page to help recoup the £2,300 owed to the Gosport-based Harbour Cancer Support Centre, which is also storming towards its target.

Mr Purnell, a local government officer, 'All of the fans are disgusted by what has happened at the club. Small charities, local businesses and schools have lost millions.

'St John Ambulance was one that just stuck out – all I did was create a site, which took five minutes. I put a link on one message board and it just caught people's imagination.'

Mr Purnell, who now lives in Derby, still attends as many Pompey games as possible and St John Ambulance volunteers had treated his seven-year-old son Luca when he became sick during this season's away match at Aston Villa.

His father Allan is a season ticket holder at Fratton Park and was sitting close to George Evans, the fan who tragically collapsed with a heart attack during the Chelsea game.

He added: 'A number of people had said what a fantastic job the St John guys did there as well.'

Pat Morris, commander of St John Ambulance in Hampshire, said she was bowled over by Mr Purnell's idea and the generosity of the fans.

'Our volunteers are by the touchline at football matches up and the down the country every week. We are there to help people who need us and I think it is absolutely wonderful that these fans are now helping us in such a generous way.'

Mr Purnell added: 'I know there are a lot of other worthy groups out there owed money as well, but the Justgiving site is only really for registered charities and there were some other registered charities on the list.

'If we reach this new total, as long as people want to keep contributing, then why not help another one?

'I think it's made people feel a bit better about supporting the club - they want to restore the reputation of the city and the club.'

:clap:
Fair play to the Pompey fans, that is a magnificent effort.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nice gesture. It seems that the fans are being a lot more magnanimous than those culpable of the latest crisis at Fratton Park. I hope Peter Storrie and the fellow leeches take note.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good stuff. Fair play them.

I hope it makes the CLUB feel even more ashamed of themselves than they already should.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
perhaps the players ought to dip into their HUGE pockets to help out too.

I know a few of them did to pay the wages of staff, but another gesture would help.

I can't help thinking that some of this money raised will have been diverted from other charities, at least indirectly by people using their National Lottery stakes. I think the over-paid players should be putting their hands in their pockets, not the fans who have to pay extortionate amounts to watch them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As I pointed out in the other thread, the Prem clubs and their players could easily have paid charities and the local small businesses by waiving the money they were owed but haven't done so.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
perhaps the players ought to dip into their HUGE pockets to help out too.

I know a few of them did to pay the wages of staff, but another gesture would help.

Indeed they did. But David James in his newspaper column said it was not out of charity, it was because he didn't want to sort out his own tape...

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
What about the players ? Some of them must be on about £10,000 a day.
Hats off to the fans, but surely all this nonsence will have to stop regarding player wages.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt there one cancer chairty that they presented a cheque to on the pitch but never gave them the cash for it. Perhaps the players could contribute towards that.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
Why can't they use the £40 million parachute payment they will get next year to pay off their creditors? It really galls me that they can use this money to strengthen their squad whereas other well run clubs in the championship do not have anything like the resources to do such a thing.

Well done to the fans - shame on the club.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wasnt there one cancer chairty that they presented a cheque to on the pitch but never gave them the cash for it.

isnt that illegal, collecting for a charity then not passing the cash on?

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Cedit due here........well done to the genuine Portsmouth Fans......nice ,honest gesture trying to help charities sold short by the football club they support and love:thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
According to the Observer, their wage bill was/is £55m.

Ignoring the fact there will be quite a few on minimum wage...

Forgo 1% of the wage bill and that would accumulate £550,000 (without taking into account tax and NI).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's a great idea by the fans :clap:. Are there any figures on amounts to charities clubs like Southampton defaulted on?

I think this is a brand new depth plumed by a football club to be honest.
I have NEVER heard of a club holding onto cash that was collected for charities. Thats a whole new level of scum the board pulled off there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I cant have just imagined it surely

not at all, its been widely commented on. i just picked your post to kick off the question, have the charity commission or who ever ask the boys in blue to have a little investigation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here