Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Polymath Potter, please GO

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
9 Home games 0 wins, failing to beat the might of West Brom, Burnley and Sheffield Utd, I can't remember me saying that we should be smashing the likes of Arsenal but you seem to know best.

1 home win in 2020/21. :bla::bla:

View attachment 132018

Keep the faith...:thumbsup:

Yes, keep the faith. Last season, three teams were having a similar experience to the one we are having right now, Saints, Everton and Watford were in and around the relegation places, but were creating enough good chances to have been gaining significantly more points. So how did they deal with it?

Everton sacked Silva, got Carlo Ancellotti in, if we can get a Manager of that calibre in, then maybe ditch Potter if we can afford the pay off and the higher wage.
Saints stuck with Hassenhuttl, got Danny Ings scoring regularly and finished 3 points and a place above Everton.

Watford sacked Javi Garcia in September, and appointed Flores who had been relatively successful there in the 2015/16 season, but they sacked him in December, after one win (away at Norwich) in 11 games, then got Pearson in, who dragged them out of the relegation places, and they then inexplicably sacked him with 2 games to go, they lost them both and got relegated.

I don't know if there is anything to learn from Watfords batshit mental approach to hiring and firing managers, (14 in the last 6 years) except that Pearson is probably a manager we could get, and would likely get some results. On the plus side, he was succesful twice with Leicester and built the team that Ranieri won the title with. On the down side, he is a bit of a hot headed mentalist, not likely to get along with Paul Barber and/or Dan Ashworth, so ultimately would be a short term appointment, however well he did on the pitch.

For me, unless we have a an experienced, Champions league winning manager ready to step in for Potter level wages and Potter walks without a pay off, we not need to take the Saints approach. For me, regardless of who is available to come in, we should stick with Potter, there is more than enough promise in the performances generally to warrant sticking with him.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wow, what a post. Football fans eh.

To me The second half bore no resemblance to the way we’ve played for the past 12 months, where did it come from?

It would actually choke you to give even a smidgen of credit to Potter when we have just played a good second half wouldn’t it?

If the players weren’t behind Potter that turnaround would not have happened but you carry on being a curmudgeon, you’re not gonna change your opinion even if we go on a good run.

Of course I’ll give him credit if he changes his style to one that wins us games, but the last 12 months have been progressively getting worse, more and more toothless up front and more and more leaky at the back. Then all of a sudden, there is a complete 180 and we’re fighting for the ball, running forwards, going for it, scoring goals (one from a set piece!), the players were even talking/shouting to each other, all things we have not been doing for months. If that was Potters influence then where has it been since 2019? Plenty have said we look good, but that is utterly pointless if it gets us relegated, we need more of what we did in the second half against Wolves. If he did suddenly have an epiphany at half time against Wolves then brilliant, that goodness for that, long may it continue.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Yes, keep the faith. Last season, three teams were having a similar experience to the one we are having right now, Saints, Everton and Watford were in and around the relegation places, but were creating enough good chances to have been gaining significantly more points. So how did they deal with it?

Everton sacked Silva, got Carlo Ancellotti in, if we can get a Manager of that calibre in, then maybe ditch Potter if we can afford the pay off and the higher wage.
Saints stuck with Hassenhuttl, got Danny Ings scoring regularly and finished 3 points and a place above Everton.

Watford sacked Javi Garcia in September, and appointed Flores who had been relatively successful there in the 2015/16 season, but they sacked him in December, after one win (away at Norwich) in 11 games, then got Pearson in, who dragged them out of the relegation places, and they then inexplicably sacked him with 2 games to go, they lost them both and got relegated.

I don't know if there is anything to learn from Watfords batshit mental approach to hiring and firing managers, (14 in the last 6 years) except that Pearson is probably a manager we could get, and would likely get some results. On the plus side, he was succesful twice with Leicester and built the team that Ranieri won the title with. On the down side, he is a bit of a hot headed mentalist, not likely to get along with Paul Barber and/or Dan Ashworth, so ultimately would be a short term appointment, however well he did on the pitch.

For me, unless we have a an experienced, Champions league winning manager ready to step in for Potter level wages and Potter walks without a pay off, we not need to take the Saints approach. For me, regardless of who is available to come in, we should stick with Potter, there is more than enough promise in the performances generally to warrant sticking with him.

Agree with most of that, Potter will not walk and we will not sack him unless the performances get so dire that we can't even manage to draw games.

To sack Potter would mean we would have to change our Philosophy as a club and that ain't happening yet.

Pro sport is all about results, he just needs to produce some and all will be well, until then I'm still not convinced, here's hoping for a turnaround in fortunes.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Oi! I’ve been Potter IN for months :smile:

Tiresome to the outters no doubt to give it some balance

It was intended as fairly tongue in cheek! And a gentle dig at an "outter".

"Inners" have nothing to fear from me.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Translation: "I've made a complete tit of myself but I'm too proud to admit it."

Not at all, I just don't join in the **** fest over one home win out of 11. :shrug:

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
Not at all, I just don't join in the **** fest over one home win out of 11. :shrug:

That's your loss. Most fans, the players and staff will be delighted to have ended our winless home run.

And it's obviously not the only thing to celebrate. It's the manner of the victory too. And...

Unbeaten in three? Check
Three clean sheets on the bounce? Check
Game management improved? Check
Players playing with confidence? Check

Stop sulking about being wrong and join the **** fest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here