Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll quits

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Jam The Man said:
He reffed a game at Withdean during our first year there against Barnet and failed to give us a nailed on penalty after a foul on Gary Hart. I can handle the poor decision, but the fact that he already placed his hands deliberately behind his back a second or so before the challenge was even made was disgraceful. Come what may he was never going to give a penalty.:censored:

This is a man who ADMITTED he gave yellows and red during his early career for no given reason, just to enhance a notorious reputation.

He's one of the few refs who REFUSES to say sorry when he's ballsed up.. at least some other refs have the decency to do so...

He's a diabolical ref and the game will be far better without him.:wave: goodbye and good riddance

Okay I'm looking for all your FACTS now. You hate him because he refused to give us a penalty against Barnet years ago? You should get out more. I can't believe you can remember a home game against Barnet, let alone who the ref was!

Referees who go to the cameras saying sorry cause themselves no end of problems. Anyway, why should they apologise for making a mistake? Why hasn't Stuart Pearce apologised yet for missing his penalty? It's all relative. Genuine mistakes in a fast paced game of football.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Jam The Man said:
Love the last paragraph!

From www.football365.com:

LET'S HAVE A PARTY: GRAHAM POLL IS QUITTING!

Alleluia! Football has received a welcome fillip this morning following reports that Graham Poll has 'dramatically decided to quit refereeing'.

'His last game will be Portsmouth's Premiership clash with Arsenal on Sunday,' reports the Daily Mirror. 'Poll will end his career early after becoming fed up with the abuse that goes with being the most controversial and high-profile official in English football.'

This, of course, is a charitable view. Poll is, in fact, widely detested for being a serial match-wrecker and giving the impression that he craves being the centre of attention. In his entire career, Poll has only refereed six games in which no cards were issued.

The 43-year-old erred spectacularly at last summer's World Cup, damaging the reputation of the country as a whole when he unwillingly supported claims that many Englishmen were unable to complete basic arithmetic when he only dismissed Croatia's Josip Simunic for a third bookable offence.

Although he subsequently quit international football, bizarrely announcing his retirement whilst talking of himself in the third person, this season has seen Poll bolster his reputation as a match wrecker. He erroneously awarded Arsenal two penalties in December's North London derby before effectively dumping the Gunners out of the FA Cup when he waved away two clear penalties in their tie at Blackburn.

In November, he sent off Chelski captain John Terry during their defeat at Spurs. Chelski players claimed Poll said they needed to be "taught a lesson". In his first game after that incident, Poll then sent off James McFadden for allegedly calling him "a cheat".

This Wednesday, Poll succeeded in antagonising both Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho with the Chelski manager describing his confrontation with the card-happy ref as "cleansing my soul". Ferguson was aggrieved, meanwhile, by Poll refusing to award the visitors a penalty kick for a blatant trip on Chris Eagles.

Nor is Poll believed to be popular amongst his whistle-blowing peers. In his autobiography, Jeff Winter spoke out on behalf of Robbie Savage after the then Birmingham midfielder was charged by the FA for using the referee's toilet. "The referee in question was not one of my favourite people," he wrote. "In fact, anyone who craps in Graham Poll's toilet can't be all bad."

Facts in this one then (although you said your post so I may be in the wrong place).

Damaged the reputation of the country as a whole? Are you serious?

Chelsea players 'claimed' he said that. Right then, it must be true.

Calling a ref a cheat is a sending off offence.

Jose Mourinho is a f***ing looney. Anything he says can be discounted.

Jeff Winter will say anything to get on the telly.

Poll has never made a genuine mistake in all the times I've been unfortunate to have witnessed one of his displays. He makes descisions based entirely on his arrogance. Every 'mistake' he has made is because he is a useless arrogant twat who shouldn't be allowed to ref an under 11's game.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Jam The Man said:
f*** me is this post making me spit teeth!

You wouldn't have the first idea or clue if i was a whinger about football or anything else, so don't come here accusing me of that because you know f*** all about my soapbox views.

If you'd bother to properly read my post you'd notice that it was balanced with FACT as well as opinion.

Stop stamping your feet like a baby. Its only a message board.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Chelski - Man Ure 'reserve' game was the last straw. He missed a nailed on penalty and dished out unwarranted yellow cards at every opportunity.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
readingstockport said:
Poll has never made a genuine mistake in all the times I've been unfortunate to have witnessed one of his displays. He makes descisions based entirely on his arrogance. Every 'mistake' he has made is because he is a useless arrogant twat who shouldn't be allowed to ref an under 11's game.

What he said.

Poll is a COCKER.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Referees' chief Keith Hackett insists Graham Poll will continue refereeing beyond this Sunday's final round of Barclays Premiership matches.

It was reported that the Tring official will quit following Portsmouth's clash with Arsenal at Fratton Park.

But Hackett, general manager of Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), who employ the top flight's full-time referees, claims Poll will at the very least take charge of a play-off semi-final after the weekend.

Hackett also revealed that Poll has not handed in his notice to the PGMOL, which would be mandatory before he could stand down.

He said: "It's pure speculation. I had heard that it was his last game on Sunday, but my first answer to that is that we have the play-offs coming up and he is officiating in the play-offs.

"He is also an employee of the PGMOL and he has it within his contract to give us a period of notice, and that has not been forthcoming."

Hackett would not, however, confirm that Poll intended to carry on next season.

"I don't know. Contract negotiations with all referees will commence at the end of the season," he added.

"We will sit down with Graham and all our referees and discuss these issues in the close season."

He continued: "It isn't his last game on Sunday, he has other games we will line him up for, he is an employee and will have to invoke notice.

"This is pure speculation that has surrounded him for the last year."

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Timbo said:
Okay I'm looking for all your FACTS now. You hate him because he refused to give us a penalty against Barnet years ago? You should get out more. I can't believe you can remember a home game against Barnet, let alone who the ref was!

Apologies for having a good memory.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Timbo said:
Stop stamping your feet like a baby. Its only a message board.

Wouldn't have happened if someone hadn't called me a prick.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Poll probably issued a statement through his agent (yes he has one) in order to build up some sympathy from Poll lovers. He'll turn around next week and say "oh go on then, i'll stay another year"

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Can someone persuade Phil Prosser and Paul Taylor to follow suit.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
is this sort of threadl which makes you realise why there are not enough refs to go round. If Poll is so bad why has he risen to the premiership and european/world cup matches. Can't be that bad.

If people stopped blaming refs for mistakes football would be better.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Im not getting into the Poll argument.

However this is surely a bad thing for English game?
Like em or loath em Refs are needed and we are running out at a fast pace.

When you turn up on a sunday morning and have not been given a ref by the league this is because there is none, this is of course going to have a knock on effect all the way to the top with worse ref's being promoted because there is no other choice.

All the time managers can get away with attacking refs for there own downfalls as a manager things wont change.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rookie, as in every walk of life there are good ones and bad ones.
On this thread we are discussing the bad ones.

maffew said:
is that for real? He brandished cards in all but 6 of his games?

Hardly surprising is it? What games have you been to where NO cards were handed out? If he managed to ref 6 games without cards then it's not too bad surely?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
if they are so bad could you explain to me how they are at the top of there profession...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yorkie said:
Rookie, as in every walk of life there are good ones and bad ones.
On this thread we are discussing the bad ones.

He beat me too it!

But why are the bad ones rising too the top?

If you are a 16 year old ref and getting abused on a Sunday morning by grown men are you going to want to carry on?

I didnt, not worth it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here