Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

poll. best ever guitar player?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
All depends on what music you like, Im into blues and slide guitar so for me it,s Chris Rea and after see'ing him live this year I couldt be a bigger fan. I think there are a lot of great players out there but surely it just comes back to what you are in to?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Has anyone seen local guitar legend Richard Durrant?

Technically, he's as good as anyone I've ever seen on classical guitar.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
dougdeep said:
I liked Deke Leonard too but I don't suppose anyone else has heard of him.

Wrong, I actually has a couple of Man albums, reckoned to be the British Allman Brothers.

Barnham Seagull said:
All depends on what music you like, Im into blues and slide guitar so for me it,s Chris Rea and after see'ing him live this year I couldt be a bigger fan. I think there are a lot of great players out there but surely it just comes back to what you are in to?

I think, if I'm not mistaken, the thread is talking about instrumental prowess. The subject always encourages musical snobbery (guilty! :wave: ) and is also confined to your general knowledge of who is out there. For jazz enthusiasts it might be Charlie Byrd, George Benson, Al Di Meola or Larry Carlton. For rockers it may be Randy Rhoads, Jake E Lee, Eddie van Halen or Rick Derringer, for folkies it may be Bert Jansch or Richard Thompson, and so it goes on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Wrong, I actually has a couple of Man albums, reckoned to be the British Allman Brothers.

I saw Man at the Dome and walked out after 15 mins, absolutely dreadful if you are not into heavy metal head banging music.....

As mentioned elsewhere your taste in guitarists must be linked to your taste in music - Carlos Santana, Wishbone Ash twin guitars, Peter Green, Dave Gilmour, Duane Allman(slide guitar on Layla) or Clapton for me :)

Hendrix obviously but too self indulgent at times for me and Jack Bruce when in Cream, if only for his bass guitar competing and just as important to the music as Clapton's lead. Although I have no time for anything of his since Band on the Run, McCartney is a pretty awesome guitarist as well.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Depends what you want.

Anthems:

Slash
Jimmy Page
Angus Young
Matt Bellamy

Just awesome:

Gary Moore
Clapton
Hendrix

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One who played regularly for me in my pubs as Clive Live, Clive Read. When he was playing at my pub in Guildford Eric Clapton used to come and listen as he said Clive was the 'bees knees'. There was also another couple Jim O Sullivan and Willie Austin, who have now split up but Jim O Sullivan is a session musician who I have heard mentioned on the radio at a lot of different venues some classical some rock.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
SJ's Love Monkey said:
No one will ever get near Hendrix...........FACT

Bollocks. I was near him last time I went to Seattle. A friend of mine lives very close to where he's buried. He gets near him every time he comes home from work.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Trufflehound said:
Bollocks. I was near him last time I went to Seattle. A friend of mine lives very close to where he's buried. He gets near him every time he comes home from work.

I was very close to him the night he died if it was at the Connaught Hotel Marble Arch. I had a bedsit no more than 75 yards from the hotel :ohmy:

Last edited:

BensGrandad said:
One who played regularly for me in my pubs as Clive Live, Clive Read. When he was playing at my pub in Guildford Eric Clapton used to come and listen as he said Clive was the 'bees knees'. There was also another couple Jim O Sullivan and Willie Austin, who have now split up but Jim O Sullivan is a session musician who I have heard mentioned on the radio at a lot of different venues some classical some rock.

Big Jim Sullivan (as he is known) played on LOADS of British pop hits (and non-hits) during the 60's. Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones did too.
So many record-lables hired those guys to play instead of the actual group that was supposed to be making the record - to make sure it was done quickly, and done right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here