Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police threatening to protest over cut backs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Police Federation, which represents 138,000 officers, president Paul McKeever has revealed the first details of a rolling programme of protests, including a "major event" in July. The events would culminate in officers targeting the Conservative and Liberal Democrat party conferences this autumn if the plans have not been dropped or drastically changed. The federation says that spending cuts totalling 20% over four years will lead to the loss of 20,000 jobs. These concerns, and those on pay and working conditions, will be aired in parliament during a meeting hosted by the Labour MP Keith Vaz, chair of the home affairs select committee.

If these protests do go ahead, I wonder who will kettle, goad, mounted charge, indiscriminately bash with batons and unlawfully kill the cops then?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Worlds_Smallest_Violin_RE_Im_out-s422x422-80866-580.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If these protests do go ahead, I wonder who will kettle, goad, mounted charge, indiscriminately bash with batons and unlawfully kill the cops then?

Won't need doing as they won't be violent like the students !

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I wouldn't fancy being a police officer, to be honest. What job do you do?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

The English Defense League, smash EDO, student protesters and any other interested parties have all been asked to register their interest and to submit bids via an ebay auction. The winning bidder will be announced in a fortnights time. - All proceeds raised will be going towards their big fat redundancy packages.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought legally Police cannot strike (or should I say go on strike) as they seem to legally hit quit a few people these days.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is it part of the safety certificate or whatever it's called that there must be a certain number of policemen present at a football match or outside a football match. If so could this have a possible effect to the start of next season - for all clubs not just us

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
:lol: No sympathy whatsoever, saw too many of them waving £20 notes at printers and trying to start fights on the picket lines at Wapping during the news international strike in the 80's, bet there are lots of ex miners quietly pleased as well.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

As part of the new ' Big Society ' initiative David Cameron wants more community participation and therefore will allow you to take the law into your own hands .............

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Well at least they might actually be walking if they go on a protest march.
It'll make a change from sitting in their car in a lay-by trying to nick the odd motorist from going 2mph over the speed limit.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
a pc was interviewed over the weekend on radio 4 and he said that one of the things that they were considering was not providing officers for sporting events, which would mean that events would be illegal if not covered by police officers...like football matches! quite a bargaining tool I would have thought

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:lol: No sympathy whatsoever, saw too many of them waving £20 notes at printers and trying to start fights on the picket lines at Wapping during the news international strike in the 80's, bet there are lots of ex miners quietly pleased as well.

True. And I have personal experience of a copper trying to start a fight with me which is much more recent. I was nosing around at an anti-capitalist demo and got the 'I earn more money that you' line.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
a pc was interviewed over the weekend on radio 4 and he said that one of the things that they were considering was not providing officers for sporting events, which would mean that events would be illegal if not covered by police officers...like football matches! quite a bargaining tool I would have thought

Can clubs get away without any police? I'm certain you can hold matches without the use of officers inside the ground. As for outside the ground and off the club's property, does this just come under their regular policing? E.g. does the club actually need to provide officers for say Falmer Station?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
True. And I have personal experience of a copper trying to start a fight with me which is much more recent. I was nosing around at an anti-capitalist demo and got the 'I earn more money that you' line.
Oh come on , more detail than that, , what exactly happened? the coppers trying to start fights on the picket lines really were trying to spark physical confrontations , hiding behind their uniforms, cowardly tossers , cue someone giving it the "odd bad apple" line, unfortunately it's a lot worse than that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh come on , more detail than that, , what exactly happened? the coppers trying to start fights on the picket lines really were trying to spark physical confrontations , hiding behind their uniforms, cowardly tossers , cue someone giving it the "odd bad apple" line, unfortunately it's a lot worse than that.

Okay, me, and another 2 mates went along to watch the May Day demo in London about 8-9 years ago. Nothing was going on so we went into The Chandos for a pint only to emerge to find the area sealed off. We stood to one side, asked to leave, were refused (politely I add...and the situation was explianed to us) so we moved to one side and watched for a quite a while but nothing was really going on. Then a rather short and probably bored riot copper who was holding a line behind me randomly asserted that he earned more money that me. I asked him why he said this; 'because I do' was the reply. I then informed him that it's common knowledge what you guys earn because you're lobbying about not being able to afford London house prices and want 'key worker' accommodation (this was an issue of the day). I then pointed out that as I owned my own flat in NW1 I felt it was me who had the heavier wallet. He was a bit miffed by this, and his reasonable colleagues from earlier actually laughed. Another colleague then asked us to move on further away. Which we did.

The exchange was civil, but I feel this is because of the attitude I adopted. I did not want to ignore his comment but equally I did not want to get nicked so I responded appropriately. I'm sure if someone else had been a bit more bullish it would have been different.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Okay, me, and another 2 mates went along to watch the May Day demo in London about 8-9 years ago. Nothing was going on so we went into The Chandos for a pint only to emerge to find the area sealed off. We stood to one side, asked to leave, were refused (politely I add...and the situation was explianed to us) so we moved to one side and watched for a quite a while but nothing was really going on. Then a rather short and probably bored riot copper who was holding a line behind me randomly asserted that he earned more money that me. I asked him why he said this; 'because I do' was the reply. I then informed him that it's common knowledge what you guys earn because you're lobbying about not being able to afford London house prices and want 'key worker' accommodation (this was an issue of the day). I then pointed out that as I owned my own flat in NW1 I felt it was me who had the heavier wallet. He was a bit miffed by this, and his reasonable colleagues from earlier actually laughed. Another colleague then asked us to move on further away. Which we did.
Snigger.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
In my experience PC Plod is quite capable of a bit of fisticuffs - including against each other so could be interesting if they do partake in some industrial action.

Once at the scene of a fatal road accident while everyone was trying to assist casualties in two cars there was the bizarre sight of two traffic Police officers kicking off at the side of the road effing and blinding at each other, their row gradually got louder until one pushed the other across the bonnet of the traffic car. One clearly threatened the other with physical violence. Then they seemed to realise they were not a very dignified sight and snapped out of it. All in the full view of the public and other emergency services, so not very impressive. I guess it must show the stresses and strains of their job and they are only human.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Give them a a modest pay raise, a new tea kettle and a dartboard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here