Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police threatening to protest over cut backs

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
Oh come on , more detail than that, , what exactly happened? the coppers trying to start fights on the picket lines really were trying to spark physical confrontations , hiding behind their uniforms, cowardly tossers , cue someone giving it the "odd bad apple" line, unfortunately it's a lot worse than that.

Indeed, it's called the Metropolitain Police, several thousand bad apples actually who make the headlines and create the resentments that sticks to all of them.

Being a football supporter doth not make you a hooligan just because SOME clubs have a reputation for hooliganism - that sweeping generalisation from ignorant individuals grips the sh1t out of the vast majority of all of us. By extension it's equally ignorant to believe that all 138,000 Police Officers conform to a violent, uncaring, traffic violation p1ssed stereotype...........but then some people believe what it suits them to believe don't they.

It always makes me laugh when I see 'the great and the good' queing up to take a pop at authority. Students, fraggles, the liberal upper middle classes and their sneery dismissive attitudes. Yet when they get burgled, when they lost, when they need help they'll always use the very system or authority they claim to be so morally and ethically opposed to.

I know a few coppers and when you hear the stories (not the sensationalist headlines the media feed you thatyou cling to to re-inforce you own prejudice) but the day to day stuff you realise they don't get paid nearly enough. What's was the toughest decision we made today? - choosing a shirt?. What's the scariest situation you had to face head on?.

"I was nosing around an anti-capitalist protest" - nuff said, you're were never going to sympathise with the custodians of an ordered society anyway, even if you were capable of a thought process deeper than a cheap yet trendy stereotypical prejudice.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
this is what i thought, they can't start a union, can't organise industrial action, they have basic employment rights but can't claim for unfair dismissal etc.

They can't strike. The protest would be attended by officers on days off & annual leave ect. Think they can sue for unfair dismissal though.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Indeed, it's called the Metropolitain Police, several thousand bad apples actually who make the headlines and create the resentments that sticks to all of them.

Being a football supporter doth not make you a hooligan just because SOME clubs have a reputation for hooliganism - that sweeping generalisation from ignorant individuals grips the sh1t out of the vast majority of all of us. By extension it's equally ignorant to believe that all 138,000 Police Officers conform to a violent, uncaring, traffic violation p1ssed stereotype...........but then some people believe what it suits them to believe don't they.

It always makes me laugh when I see 'the great and the good' queing up to take a pop at authority. Students, fraggles, the liberal upper middle classes and their sneery dismissive attitudes. Yet when they get burgled, when they lost, when they need help they'll always use the very system or authority they claim to be so morally and ethically opposed to.

I know a few coppers and when you hear the stories (not the sensationalist headlines the media feed you thatyou cling to to re-inforce you own prejudice) but the day to day stuff you realise they don't get paid nearly enough. What's was the toughest decision we made today? - choosing a shirt?. What's the scariest situation you had to face head on?.

"I was nosing around an anti-capitalist protest" - nuff said, you're were never going to sympathise with the custodians of an ordered society anyway, even if you were capable of a thought process deeper than a cheap yet trendy stereotypical prejudice.

You've made plenty of valid points here TBH. Although I do feel you have ignored the people in society who do not regularly encounter police officers but feel incredibly disappointed or let down when they do actually need them.

For example, my sister witnessed someone park behind my parents car, hit it, then proceed to drive off. She followed the correct procedure and called the Police who came round, took information and left. They heard nothing of the incident until my mother went into the police station and went berserk, 3 months And several lame excuses later!!

Another, more serious incident which involves a friends brother who is now a reasonably high ranking police officer in northern city. He was with another work colleague at my mates parents house bragging about how many pissed people he had punched whilst doing the graveyard shift. In his own words he said "You have to be careful to take your rings off when you do it, otherwise you could get caught". I was shocked, they just laughed...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
People slagging off the police on this thread should go to Italy or Israel or Germany or France or the US or Mexico or Algeria or South Africa or China or Russia or Jordan or Libya or East Timor or any other country you wish to mention to realise that in the UK we have the best police force in the world.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Doesn't mean that they shouldn't suffer some of the pain many others are suffering in paying back the Blair-Brown debt.

Where exactly did I say that? My comment was clearly made in direct response to the opening poster who said:

If these protests do go ahead, I wonder who will kettle, goad, mounted charge, indiscriminately bash with batons and unlawfully kill the cops then?

I see he/she still hasn't come back and told us all what he does all day...

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
Doesn't mean that they shouldn't suffer some of the pain many others are suffering in paying back the Blair-Brown debt.

They already have pensions contributions of 11% of salary, nearly three times higher than the rest of the public sector average with most private sector employee contributing the square route of f*** all to their retirement.

They've ALREADY had their pension reformed under the last government, the rest of the public sector did not.

Their pension contributions/set-up is almost identical to that of MP's - will parliament be looking at their pensions?............don't hold your breath.

Yes they have a good pension but they ARE paying for it, financially AND physically (life expectancy greatly below to national average). If asked to work the shifts and take the stresses until 60, as the government wants, many wouldn't make it and most would be drawing a pension for less than 10 years before death.

This has nothing to do with taking their 'share' of the pain - it's a Tory grudge, a hang-over from the failed Sheehy report of the last Tory government. Is it any coincidence that one of the last defeats of Majors Government is one of the first attacks of Camerons?. The Home Office was back then run by the present Justice Sectretary Ken Clarke assisted by a certain young Davie Cameron. This is about a pound of flesh and nothing else, there is little or no case for Police pay and condition reform over the rest of the public sector.

Trouble is it's not a vote winner to hit nurses or teachers, but the coppers are fair game. Despite holding society together the thin blue line doesn't have media friends and whilst petty prejudices such as displayed on this thread pervade the public viewpoint their lack of access to industrial action means the government see them as fair game. The Tories are always wrongly portrayed as the party of law and order, they are not. They are the party of cuts, the party of crime reduction, waiting list reduction and university access is Labour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here