Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police Dog bites Palace Fan

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Have witnessed several canine related incidents at away games over the years, mainly at Palace games, must be something to do with their fans having a dog provoking aroma.

However the most vivid example of Police animal violence I recall was at Wemberlee circa 1971 for the Ingerland v Scotland home international when it felt like there were about 80,000 pissed jocks (think of extras from the battle scenes in 'Braveheart'), all desperate to pulverise the home team and support. To their credit it was a brilliant and intimidating atmosphere and certainly seemed to carry onto the pitch as well. The jocks had a decent team, and were hard as nails - I recall in the first minute seeing Billy Bremner launch into club team mate Norman Hunter (not unknown for him to dish it out either) with a tackle that would be an instant red and video nasty these days but they both got up and carried on kicking lumps out of each other for another 89 minutes. England snatched a rather lucky 1-0 win which was great but seemed likely to be a recipe for lots of nawtiness after the match. Loads of plod about of course, including mounted Police. Skirmishes kicked off all over the place on the way back to the tube station. A Police horse was startled and jumped backwards, lashing out with its rear legs, planting both rear hooves hard into the groin of a kilt wearing jock who happened to be in the wrong place. There was a sickening crunching sound but he didn't wince (I think he had already drunk plenty of painkiller) but just coughed up his false teeth and slowly slid down the lamp post he was leaning against and laid in a crumpled heap before his mates dragged him away. I don't know how the impact didn't kill him - his crown jewels can't have been the same since.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Indeed it shouldn't matter he's Palace. Is a disgusting story that could happen to anyone I'm assuming from reading between the lines. That said if it had to be a fan of any club the fact it's Palace is a bonus!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are the police being prosecuted for this, it's sick.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
From Guardian 22/10/10

On Saturday 5 January 2008, Cliff Augur went to watch Chelsea play football, as he has done most Saturdays for 40 years. He had with him his two teenage sons and two of their friends.

After the match, one of his sons' friends, Charlie, went into a pub to use the toilet. Waiting outside, Augur heard shouting. Suddenly the area was full of police with dogs, who formed a cordon round the pub. Augur phoned Charlie, who said the police would not let him out. Augur politely appealed to them. "I told them that he was a 15-year-old boy for whom I was responsible," says Augur, but he was curtly rebuffed, and the police started pushing people. "I was knocked into my younger son, John. The dog handler allowed the dog sufficient rein so that it could get at my other son, James. I saw the dog sink his teeth into James's lower leg. It was obvious he was in pain. I shouted to the police: 'That's my son, let him go.'"

Augur kicked out at the dog. The animal released James and turned on him, sinking its teeth into his leg. He fell to the floor. "I saw the dog in my face. I was horrified and frightened."

The dog was pulled away, and two or three policemen seized him. "I was on the floor with them holding me down. I felt a tremendous kick to my right side underneath my armpit. I was gasping for breath. I really thought I was going to die. A few seconds later I felt someone standing on my back, holding me down with their foot.

"I managed to look to my right and I saw two policemen holding James on the floor. He was shouting: 'Help me, Dad, help me.' A policeman punched him in the face while he was being held down on the floor. That will live with me for ever. It really upset me that I could not help my son."

Augur was in dreadful pain throughout the long period he spent in the police station, but was given no treatment apart from a painkiller. When fingerprints, photographs and other formalities had been completed, he and his son were taken to hospital, where he was found to have four broken ribs and a punctured lung.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission initiated an investigation, and passed its file to the Crown Prosecution Service. The CPS did not prosecute the police officer named by Augur because, according to IPCC commissioner Nicholas Long, "the investigation could not identify conclusively the officer concerned".

Is this an unfortunate one-off incident in the long police battle against football hooliganism? Not according to the director of Liberty, Shami Chakrabarti: "I have come to be horrified at some of the treatment that law-abiding fans have experienced. We are in danger of demonising anyone who goes to football matches." Long agrees: "I am surprised that we see as few complaints and referrals as we do from policing of football matches. The police should not imagine that the majority of people attending football matches are bent on violence."

Happens up and down the country

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
I walked past reading station on my way home that evening just before it kicked off. I am totally unsurprised that it kicked off, the palace fans were being less than friendly. I didn't see the incident and hav eno idea if he deserved it but I am not surprised that the dogs were used.

It was a horrible incident but what you said is f***ing bullshit

All we were doing was signing a few songs in the pub. Chelsea fans came looking for trouble and the police charged at the Palace fans.

TVP are the worst police force ever.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have to admit I opened this thread expecting to have a laugh, but after reading the story I am disgusted but not that surprised.
I will be travelling to quite a few of our away games this season from London. I'm not looking forward to being herded around by the police and forced on to trains I don't want to get on.

Ditto ... will probably find the alternative train routes to miss out on the cops and apes.

It was a horrible incident but what you said is f***ing bullshit

All we were doing was signing a few songs in the pub. Chelsea fans came looking for trouble and the police charged at the Palace fans.

TVP are the worst police force ever.

I said it as I saw it. I've seen Millwall, Stoke, Chelsea, West Ham, Brighton and many others in Reading and, quite frankly, Palace that evening were the worst I have seen.

Sure there have been worse, Cardifff when they wrecked 10 pubs springs to mind immediately, but I wasn't there that day so I did not see it. I did see Palace.

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
My wife has just said that until The 5-0 defeat at Selhurst a few years back she would never have believed fans accounts of bullying police tactics. That day changed it all for her especially when they came charging through a packed crowd by Norwood junction station on police horses knocking our kids flying and generally acting like complete *****

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
i too was expecting this to be a joke,and was going to joke back is the dog ok... but as much as i h8 palace fans no one deserves the treatment this palace fan received,when you handcuff and are on floor presuming police were sitting on him, how can you justified setting a dog on him, i do hope they take civil case against the police..

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
i too was expecting this to be a joke,and was going to joke back is the dog ok... but as much as i h8 palace fans no one deserves the treatment this palace fan received,when you handcuff and are on floor presuming police were sitting on him, how can you justified setting a dog on him, i do hope they take civil case against the police..

DSCF2695.jpg

The dog at the back was the dog bit the fan.

The female dog handler getting close to the Palace fans for no reason at all.

To answer your question, yes there were a number of Police Officers around/on him at the time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
DSCF2695.jpg

The dog at the back was the dog bit the fan.

The female dog handler getting close to the Palace fans for no reason at all.

To answer your question, yes there were a number of Police Officers around/on him at the time.

Try as you might to sympathise with the Police and the fact it was 'only' a Palace fan it's indefensible behaviour yet again by the Police. They clearly see all football fans, (not just the ones from Croydon) as scum. Then they wonder why football fans think the same of them.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Is that bloke in the checky-shirt attempting to befriend the snarling hound by offering it a biscuit?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Is that bloke in the checky-shirt attempting to befriend the snarling hound by offering it a biscuit?

Seriously, what is the guy in the check shirt doing with his hand out like that? Trying to wind up the bloody thing? Doesn't strike me as a great idea...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Seriously, what is the guy in the check shirt doing with his hand out like that? Trying to wind up the bloody thing? Doesn't strike me as a great idea...

He's a Palace fan, doing something stupid is natural to him.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think it might be due to the character in question being a bona fide FRIDGE-FREEZER & thus pwoppa nawtee. :rolleyes:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I've been travelling to away games for the past 15 years on trains but more recently by car. I'm not suggesting that at every game you get herded around, however I have experienced this before and on occasions this season I may want to travel in the opposite way to the rest of our away fans.
I think this season there will inevitably be more trouble at away games or at the very least an increased police presence because we are in the championship.
I'm not interested in fighting anyone but I don't think his Palace fan was either.

This worries me. And where was the CCTV? All station platforms, particularly at a busy place like Reading, would be covered 24/7 in case of accidents, so this whole incident at the platform end should be recorded.

The implications for Albion are that now you have a station virtuallly adjacent to the ground, any ill-feeling between fans will not have time to dissipate after the game. Plus Falmer is a small station, only two platforms, and where will the opposition fans be "directed" or herded afterwards? Obviously the Brighton-bound platform, along with probably 60+% of albion fans wanting to go home via Brighton.

In fact a lot of way supporters could go back via Lewes, but will they be given the chance to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here