Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

plymouth latest

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
BBC Sport - Football - Plymouth Argyle staff given pay ultimatum

Office staff and players at Plymouth Argyle have been told they must agree to work for free or the club will close, BBC Spotlight understands.

The club's ultimatum comes after all of their potential buyers failed to agree to fund wages and costs until the end of the season.

Non-playing staff are believed to have been asked to defer their pay for March and April.

The players have been told to defer their wages for March.

Earlier this month Plymouth were docked 10 points for entering into administration.

The club's administrators had given potential buyers until noon on Monday to bid for the League One club, with an announcement on the successful buyer expected on Thursday.

Instead, staff at Home Park were greeted with the news that they would once again have to go without pay to ensure the club's short-term survival.

The BBC understands that despite no news on Argyle's new owners, talks have been continuing with the parties involved.

On the pitch Argyle are currently 22nd in League One, three points from safety.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lets be honest, if it didn't concern us losing points most of us wouldnt really give a shit!

Where's the "Build A Bonfire" spirit?!

Anyway, it's not just about the League points we'll lose if they go under. If there's no Plymouth Argyle then X more fans will simply end up supporting Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd, the rich will get richer and the gap will widen.

That club effectively has the whole of Cornwall and a huge chunk of Devon as it's catchment area, yet is still f***ed. That's a lesson for anyone who thinks we might be "marketable" from purely geographical reasons.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
of course it is,made it up

No need for the paranioa, not for one moment did I suggest you made it up. You are right to flag it up as this is an ongoing situation. Just can't see Peter Reid telling all and sundry that Argyle are going tits up. I think they have probably found an investor.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Am I right in thinking our EIGHT point gap will fall to just two or three and we have a real risk of actually having our entire season battered by this? What would seem a at least comfortable run in would become crucial game after game? Imagine if this happens and we don't go up due to those points lost, the butterfly effect of this could be disastrous for us.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Am I right in thinking our EIGHT point gap will fall to just two or three and we have a real risk of actually having our entire season battered by this? What would seem a at least comfortable run in would become crucial game after game? Imagine if this happens and we don't go up due to those points lost, the butterfly effect of this could be disastrous for us.

what 8 point gap?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS

Last time i looked it was 5!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
FFS! In this division we've won the most games, lost the fewest, have the best defensive record and one of the best goalscoring records. We're unbeatable at home, pretty good away and are presently on a decent unbeaten run.

Forget the lost points for a moment - I'm sure we'll be just fine. Unlike hundreds of thousands of people who are about to lose their local league football team.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Just been confirmed live on TV - players asked to sign contracts to play for nothing until end of March and other staff until end of April - BUT Administrator did say he did not expect Plymouth to fold just that the two offers are taking longer than he hoped.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would,never like to see a club die/bust/go under/fold. So do many others.
Strange as it may seem that attitude is part of the problem. Why are Plymouth in trouble? Because in the last few years they've spent FAR too much on player salaries, transfer fees, etc. Why did they do that? Because they had to compete with clubs like Leicester, Palace, Portsmouth and Leeds to attract the players they needed to play Championship football. Those clubs got away with it, they were able to repudiate their debts and start again but the economic damage they did lives on; clubs like Plymouth saddled themselves with wage bills they couldn't afford really just to compete and keep the fans happy. (After all, no set of fans ever berate their chairman for spending too MUCH money on the team)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Plymouth go bust as I feel they're probably more 'sinned against than sinning', but coming out with the standard trite homily that 'No one wants to see clubs go bust' in the long term isn't doing football as a whole any favours.

EDIT: And there's a WORLD of difference between clubs 'going bust' and 'dying'. Since the start of professional football Loads of clubs have gone bust, very few have actually 'died'.

Last edited:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

That would just be our sodding luck. There would be no easy way of doing this. We just need to keep our fingers crossed.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
FFS! In this division we've won the most games, lost the fewest, have the best defensive record and one of the best goalscoring records. We're unbeatable at home, pretty good away and are presently on a decent unbeaten run.

Forget the lost points for a moment - I'm sure we'll be just fine. Unlike hundreds of thousands of people who are about to lose their local league football team.

bit ott with the 100,000s its not Man U - its Devon last time I looked

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
It won't happen, there's been clubs in much worser positions who've survived so I doubt Plymouth will get liquidated.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
surely its in our interest for Bloom to buy the whole Plymouth team for 2 million rather tan risk losing 6 points?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
That would just be our sodding luck. There would be no easy way of doing this. We just need to keep our fingers crossed.

Tony Bloom could give the club the money and 'buy' the points.

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
I'm not wishing ill on them of course, I would sympathise with the fans. But why should the taxpayer and small businesses be ripped off by incompetent board members?

And why should the fans who've families have followed the club for 124 years have the heart ripped from their community just because of those self same individuals?.

It's they who should pay not the fans, history and tradition of Plymouth Argyle Football Club.

Did you deserve to die because of Archer and Bellotti?.

Should the rest of football have taken that attitude on the eve of Fans United?.

Nah!.

Latest is that all the remaining staff were called in today (you may recall they've all been unpaid since before Christmas and 16 were made redundant last week, alternatively you might still not give a shit) they were all told to sign an agreement that they would continue to work unpaid until April, if they didn't sign they could leave. Some signed some had had enough and walked, unsurprising given how they've been treated.

Brendan Guilfoyle is the first administrator in football to work whilst himself being unfunded. Christ alone knows why he started it (although thank god he did) but if the preferred bidder concerned doesn't agree to fund him while they conduct due dilligence then we fold with immediate effect. It would appear (and it's absolute chaos up at Home Park at the moment so no-one really knows what has happened) that the preferred bidder can't pay until April (hence the staff agreements). It all sounds a bit 'the cheque is in the post' to me and frankly it doesn't bode well for that bidders chances of securing a CVA with £13m debts to negotiate.

The scheduled press conference ahead of the weekend home game with Rochdale was cancelled, there are apparently fears we'll be unable to fullfil that fixture. If so further points deductions would follow and in truth we'd go under. If you still don't 'give one' - we beat Saints and haven't played the home game yet so they'd gain six points on you straight away, do I have your attention again clippedgull?.

For staff and the 'fighting fund' fans have raised over £13,000 but the debts are so huge and the cashflow so stagnant that it's p155ing in the wind. Please DON'T take this as a plea for contributions because I don't feel outside fans should. Morally it's our problem, although we're pretty much powerless.

It's a fast paced news story down there so probably in the time i've taken to write this it's all changed again but it's really not looking good today.

I know it was only one of you and thanks for the supportive comments of the majority but just when you feel your day has got as bad as it can get a kick in the nuts isn't all that welcome. You respect your fellow fan, irrespective of colours, especially on the way up......because you never know when you're gonna need then on the way down.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just been confirmed live on TV - players asked to sign contracts to play for nothing until end of March and other staff until end of April - BUT Administrator did say he did not expect Plymouth to fold just that the two offers are taking longer than he hoped.

If the admin isn't worried no-one else should be.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Strange as it may seem that attitude is part of the problem. Why are Plymouth in trouble? Because in the last few years they've spent FAR too much on player salaries, transfer fees, etc. Why did they do that? Because they had to compete with clubs like Leicester, Palace, Portsmouth and Leeds to attract the players they needed to play Championship football. Those clubs got away with it, they were able to repudiate their debts and start again but the economic damage they did lives on; clubs like Plymouth saddled themselves with wage bills they couldn't afford really just to compete and keep the fans happy. (After all, no set of fans ever berate their chairman for spending too MUCH money on the team)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Plymouth go bust as I feel they're probably more 'sinned against than sinning', but coming out with the standard trite homily that 'No one wants to see clubs go bust' in the long term isn't doing football as a whole any favours.

EDIT: And there's a WORLD of difference between clubs 'going bust' and 'dying'. Since the start of professional football lLoads of clubs have gone bust, very few have actually 'died'.

Agree,and maybe were are at fault ? We know what to do cancel Sky,after all English (and the bagpipe) football relies on Sky and Sky is you and me. We are Inheriting the wind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here