Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbers

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
How much does it cost to become a qualified plumber and how?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The reason I am asking is I'm fed up of having my wallet RAPED by them for a job any idiot could do. But because I'm not qualified I'm not allowed by law to do it myself without invalidating my house insurance. All I want to do it replace a sensor on my Boilermate 2000 (avoid at all costs!)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Ask John Boy, he's training at the moment in Hove somewhere

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BarrelofFun said:
GNVQs?

Intensive course - £350

http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/index.asp?pageID=77

I think anything to do with the boiler, you have to have a Corgi certification and that costs about £2000 per annum, I think.

So Plumbers have to pay out £2000 every year? Blimey no wonder British Gas charge £150+

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Lammy said:
The reason I am asking is I'm fed up of having my wallet RAPED by them for a job any idiot could do. But because I'm not qualified I'm not allowed by law to do it myself without invalidating my house insurance. All I want to do it replace a sensor on my Boilermate 2000 (avoid at all costs!)
Ask Turkey or Biscuit........their Dad is a Gas engineer and an Albion Season ticket holder.....he won't rip you off........

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Plumbers are rarer than rocking horse shit and decent plumbers who won't tuck you up rarer than a lesser spotted great crested warbler.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It might not be as much as £2k but I think it is near to that.

Danny - Was that the spitting plumber?

I saw a case of a plumber who pissed in the cold water tank. Somewhere near Brighton I think!! :eek:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
You want to train to be a heating engineer/gas fitter not a plumber. A standard plumber is not qualified to work on gas appliances.
To become a gas fitter is time consuming and expensive. You have to do all the training such as NVQs/City and Guilds which is a year minimum if you use a fast track programme.
Once you have done this you have to take a 3 day ACS assessment to prove you are competent. You then have to have a number of hours supervised experience in order to get your CORGI registration.
CORGI has to be renewed every year and ACS every 5 years.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Rangdo said:
You want to train to be a heating engineer/gas fitter not a plumber. A standard plumber is not qualified to work on gas appliances.
To become a gas fitter is time consuming and expensive. You have to do all the training such as NVQs/City and Guilds which is a year minimum if you use a fast track programme.
Once you have done this you have to take a 3 day ACS assessment to prove you are competent. You then have to have a number of hours supervised experience in order to get your CORGI registration.
CORGI has to be renewed every year and ACS every 5 years.

bollocks

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The boilermate is not a boiler though, that bit is in the kitchen. The boiler mate simply mixes the water and pumps it around my radiators and tapes. I KNOW the bit that needs replacing (DHW sensor) it cost less than £20. Do I need to be CORGI registered to fit this part? I'll not be touching anything gas?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Lammy said:
The boilermate is not a boiler though, that bit is in the kitchen. The boiler mate simply mixes the water and pumps it around my radiators and tapes. I KNOW the bit that needs replacing (DHW sensor) it cost less than £20. Do I need to be CORGI registered to fit this part? I'll not be touching anything gas?

As long as you do not touch any gas installation pipework OR any part of a gas appliance you do not need to be CORGI registered.
For example, you cannot (well should not) touch any gas pipework up to a boiler, the boiler itself, or the boiler flue. However, you can work on the radiators, heating or water pipework, domestic hot water cylinder etc.

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
surrey jim said:
Ask John Boy, he's training at the moment in Hove somewhere

:wave:

Im doing a NVQ2 plumbing apprenticeship at the moment, which ends in June this year.

Next year Im doing NVQ3, and then my Gas exams (CCM1 and then Corgi)

As I'm under 19, my course is being funded by the government, else it would cost £640 (excluding registration and exams).

There are cheapo courses, but they aren't very good, as you only get assessed on the theory of plumbing etc. On the NVQ course, you get assessed at the work place, as well as in college

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Rangdo said:
As long as you do not touch any gas installation pipework OR any part of a gas appliance you do not need to be CORGI registered.
For example, you cannot (well should not) touch any gas pipework up to a boiler, the boiler itself, or the boiler flue. However, you can work on the radiators, heating or water pipework, domestic hot water cylinder etc.

I've heard that could be changing soon. (the same way as working on electricty has changed). :glare:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Ok, I've just had a look online. Is the Boilermate an unvented hot water cylinder? If so this opens up another can of worms. You do not need to be CORGI registered as it is not gas but you do need to have been on the CITB (I think) course for unvented hot water storage systems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here