Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbers

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
John Boy said:
I've heard that could be changing soon. (the same way as working on electricty has changed). :glare:

But in all honesty if you carry out the work in your own home how is anyone going to find out?

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Rangdo said:
But in all honesty if you carry out the work in your own home how is anyone going to find out?

At the moment, you don't have to have any plumbing qualifications to work in your home, or a customers.

I've heard that you will need to have a qualification (city + guilds, NVQ etc) to legally be allowed to work. There will be a governing body, similar to CORGI, and NICEIC.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
John Boy said:
At the moment, you don't have to have any plumbing qualifications to work in your home, or a customers.

I've heard that you will need to have a qualification (city + guilds, NVQ etc) to legally be allowed to work. There will be a governing body, similar to CORGI, and NICEIC.

But as I say how will anyone know? How does CORGI know if you fit a gas fire or run some gas pipework in your house?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
When it blows up, I guess

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I am a carpenter and know a few plumbers,Very soon EVERY toilet and sink they fit must be inspected.What with this and the price of being corgi registered which is over 2 grand a year,he is very pissed off as he is fully qualified and has been doing this for 30 years.All it is is JOBS FOR THE BOYS and to give more jobs to the public sector.
The same cowboys will be getting away with doing work for cash with no inspections just like the people who never have a tax disc on their car.
It is the same racket in Window fitting with FENSA and electrical work now.Just more jobs for the public sector.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BRIGHT ON Q said:
I am a carpenter and know a few plumbers,Very soon EVERY toilet and sink they fit must be inspected.What with this and the price of being corgi registered which is over 2 grand a year,he is very pissed off as he is fully qualified and has been doing this for 30 years.All it is is JOBS FOR THE BOYS and to give more jobs to the public sector.
The same cowboys will be getting away with doing work for cash with no inspections just like the people who never have a tax disc on their car.
It is the same racket in Window fitting with FENSA and electrical work now.Just more jobs for the public sector.

But registration/qualification makes absolutely no difference if the public don't enforce it by checking. No one knows if you are registered to fit a bath or toilet and even if you aren't if you go to buy a house and you find out the plumber didn't get the bath properly inspected would you not buy the house? of course not.
Oh, and CORGI registration is more like £200 for an individual application. It is purely an administration excercise to prove you have all the prior qualifications and experience. I've got no idea how could come to the sum of £2000 just for CORGI registration.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
John Boy said:
Taking the Corgi exams cost a lot of money, could work out to around £2000

As I said, CORGI itself doesn't have exams. You have to prove youself competent to obtain CORGI via on the job assessment and ACS workshop assessments. However, on the job assesments cost nothing and the ACS workshop assessments are only taken every 5 years. ACS, CORGI and the time off work over a 5 year period probably amounts to more like £500 per year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here