Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please recommend an incredibly funny book for me to read.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I, Partridge is supposed to be very funny.

I have it but yet to read it.

(The audiobook read by Coogan himself supposed to be even better.)

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Another Bloody Tour by Frances Edmonds, wife of Phil Edmonds, former England spinner.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can recommend 'picking up the brass' by Eddy Nugent which is about a young lad joining the army.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Karl Pilkington. Any of his. (if you don't know, he's that bloke who knocks about with Ricky Gervais and done the Idiot Abroad series)

The bloke just seems to be a complete idiot - I just don't get why anyone would think he's funny. Gervais tweats about him a lot, but none of it seems remotely interesting to me.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
If it's fiction you want then you could try;

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

The Yiddish Policemans Union by Michael Chabon

A Fraction of The Whole by Steve Toltz

I thought all three were excellent and funny.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Funniest ever for me was 'McCarthy's Bar'

A bit like 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' but ten times funnier.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Balham to Bollywood - Chris England

Jobbing bit part actor indulges passion for cricket whilst working in India on a movie that involves a final cricket match in any case. The real life movie itself is worth a watch (Lagaan). A huge Bollywood hit! One for sports fans

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bill Bryson - At Home

It is laugh out loud funny

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
516EV6WPW5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best biography I've ever read, laughed out loud at how the Tory party managed to promote this tit.

cheers, this looks like perfect holiday reading - the bloke is a complete nob

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Not in the same field really but ''Portable Door'' by Tom Holt made me laugh out loud first time i read it. Or for a footy related one try ''Bowles'' brilliant stories about the QPR legend!

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Writer called Peter McCarthy (sadly since passed away) Wrote 2 books called McCarthys bar and road to McCarthy. Peter McCarthy is from Brighton but travels around Ireland drinking in bars only in his name.
It's a heartwarming and funny story with all the characters he drinks with on the way.
There is one section near the end where he is talking to this real character who used to own a traveling circus and by coincidence he finds out that this guy once pitched his circus up at the greyhound stadium in hove. The story of the animals running amock in and around the stadium made me weep with laughter.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

zigyo

Jan 16, 2011
The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman by Bruce Robinson (author of Withnail & I). Very funny.

Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe. Took me twice as long to read as it should because I had to put it down while I was laughing and wait for the tears in my eyes to clear.I read it twenty tears ago and still remember it all.

And the good thing is,if you like it,and you will, there is an equally funny sequel called Indecent Exposure.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Writer called Peter McCarthy (sadly since passed away) Wrote 2 books called McCarthys bar and road to McCarthy. Peter McCarthy is from Brighton but travels around Ireland drinking in bars only in his name.
It's a heartwarming and funny story with all the characters he drinks with on the way.
There is one section near the end where he is talking to this real character who used to own a traveling circus and by coincidence he finds out that this guy once pitched his circus up at the greyhound stadium in hove. The story of the animals running amock in and around the stadium made me weep with laughter.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Bloody hell I remember that circus being there. Wow what a memory jog hadn't thought about that in decades.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here