Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please recommend an incredibly funny book for me to read.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Bloody hell I remember that circus being there. Wow what a memory jog hadn't thought about that in decades.

I really can't recommend the book highly enough. I've never cried with laughter at a book other than this one. The old guys tale of the animals going beserk at the greyhound stadium and roaming the streets of hove was fantastic. Mainly because he was getting pissed up at the hove park tavern. :)

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Jul 20, 2003
Balham to Bollywood - Chris England

Jobbing bit part actor indulges passion for cricket whilst working in India on a movie that involves a final cricket match in any case. The real life movie itself is worth a watch (Lagaan). A huge Bollywood hit! One for sports fans

I shall have to get that, love the film

Another actor/ writer book that's a great read is 'Swimming to Cambodia' by Spalding Gray about his experiences shooting 'The Killing Fields' (adapted into a cracking monologue by same)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
French Revolutions by Tim Moore. He's a non-cyclist who decides to cycle the entire Tour De France route six weeks before the actual tour. This is a fantastic book, one of the few that has caused me to laugh out loud again and again.

Getting Rid of Mr Kitchen is also a good shout.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe. Took me twice as long to read as it should because I had to put it down while I was laughing and wait for the tears in my eyes to clear.I read it twenty tears ago and still remember it all.

And the good thing is,if you like it,and you will, there is an equally funny sequel called Indecent Exposure.

And also most of his other books, Wilt, Blott on the Lanscape, Porterhouse Blue etc. Not always done justice to by the TV progs.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Pretty much anything by Chris Brookmyre or Colin Bateman....... black black comedy crime which leaves me in tears of laughter

particularly reccomend A big boy did it and ran away

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Just started reading Rick Wakeman's Grumpy Old Rockstar, and its hilarious. Ludicrous anecdotes from his rock star days, written in a deapan style (if that's even possible).

Both Pete McCarthy books are great although the one about Irish pubs is tremendous. I met him briefly in the Prestonville once (he was a friend of a friend) and my girlfriend still tells tales of his legendary bus tour of Hove, which was (by her account) hilarious.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
5107A05XSKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

THE funniest book i have ever read, in my life, ever. Amen

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Another vote for Hitchhikers.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Last house in the galaxy by Andy Secombe. A Sci-Fi comedy.

He also wrote Limbo and Limbo II which are partly based in Brighton & Hove (I haven't read them but I intend to).

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Joy In The Morning by P>G.Wodehouse

Just brilliant and laugh out loud funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here