Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** PLEASE READ *** - Albion Demo - Lib Dem Conference - Sun 17 September

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
Albion Demo

The rally outside the Liberal Democrat party conference takes place on Sunday, 17th September, at 4pm.

While we wait, somewhat in limbo, for the stadium plans to progress, let's remember who is holding them up. Let's tell the Lib Dems what their party colleagues - Lewes District Council and Norman Baker MP - are doing to this community and to their party's chances in this area.

We want to keep the pressure on Lewes DC, ultimately to convince them that any further delay to the stadium plans is not in their interests. Demonstrating outside their party conference and embarrassing them in front of their colleagues is the best way to do that.

The rally begins at 4pm on the promenade opposite the Brighton Centre, but you can arrive any time from 3.30pm onwards. There will be singing, chanting, shouting, standing up/sitting down - all the usual things, plus speeches from Dick Knight, Paul Samrah, etc.

So bring your voices and bring your placards - directed at Lewes Lib Dems. Highlight the lack of democracy and the hypocrisy in the council chamber. Ridicule Baker's assertion that the stadium site is "open country". And show your anger at the attempts to kill of the stadium by delaying the process and trying to bring our club down.

Remember, it's Lewes who are holding this up, not the Lib Dems nationally. In fact, Lib Dem representatives from Brighton & Hove will be demonstrating alongside us against their unenlightened colleagues from Lewes district.

We will be handing out more flyers at the Bournemouth game (and the Orient game if there are any left), or you can download a flyer from the Albion website under "News", "Stadium", "Falmer Rally" - click here. Please spread the word. Ask for as many flyers as you need at the matches and bring along as many people as you can. Any queries can be addressed to the Supporters' Club reps in the South and North Stands, by the programme booths.

There is no march this year, just the static rally for about 30-40 minutes. The city centre is bound to be busy so allow plenty of time and use public transport if you can. Most buses pass through Churchill Square, from where it is a 10 minute walk via the Clock Tower and West Street to the seafront. Brighton Station is about 20 minutes via Queen's Road and West Street.

If you don't know where the Brighton Centre is, click
here.

We all need a bit of a lift at the moment with things on the pitch not going as we would like and Falmer stalled. It's hard to generate enthusiasm at the present time, but we need to do it on Sunday 17th and show those that would try and destroy our beloved club that we will not allow them to do so.

How many times have we said this is the final action in the long-running saga that is Falmer? We thought last year's march to the Labour conference would be it. Whose fault is it that it wasn't? Lewes District Council's. So let's show them that we are not sitting down over this, we are not going to be pushed around by them. In fact, "We wun't be druv"!

See you there

Tim Carder
Falmer For All Campaign

PS "We wun't be druv" is Sussex dialect and almost a motto for the county.

PPS We need a handful of volunteers on the Sunday morning (17th September) to help deliver leaflets to the main hotels along the seafront, explaining exactly why we are demonstrating. If you are able to help with this then PM me please.

Seagull Stew

Re: Albion Demo

Thank God that's been explained to me!

I'll be there. Going on an all day bender around London Saturday. Straight down on the train on Sunday, whatever condition I'm in! :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Can I do anything from Spain?:(

I can't believe I'm missing this after all the other ones I've attended from Lancaster Gate to Maidera Drive. Surely there's something we can do / send if overseas or out of the area that day?

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
51vn4.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bit of a struggle this when the Youth Team play footie on Sundays :(

See what our fixture is.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Beach Hut said:

See what our fixture is.
Bugger me this is more important that a youth football match! Call an option and get them all to go.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I read this as

If you don't know where the Brighton Centre is, a dick

instead of " If you don't know where the Brighton Centre is, click "

I will be there in spirit, whilst on a Golf Course
:angel:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
All folks as come to Sussex
Must follow Sussex wyas,
And when they've larned
to know us well
There's no place else
they'd wish to dwell
In all their blessed days.
There ant no place like Sussex
Until you goes Above,
But Sussex will be Sussex,
And Sussex won't be druv!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I belive the saying is something similar to...

Sussex Born,
Sussex Bred.
Strong in the arm,
thick in the head.
We Wun't be druv,
but must be led.

(We may not be seen to be the brightest bunch, but you can't force our hand. If you want something lead us to it, don't push it.)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003

OK this is just crap! Half of Sussex dont know what the f*** that means so how on EARTH are people outside Sussex gonna know?! They will just laugh...of all the slogans in the world why?!

Surely something like:
Lib Dems from Lewes = Anti-Football & Anti-Childrens Future

hits home harder than that......thing above!

just my two pence worth.

Marc said:

OK this is just crap! Half of Sussex dont know what the f*** that means so how on EARTH are people outside Sussex gonna know?! They will just laugh...of all the slogans in the world why?!

Surely something like:
Lib Dems from Lewes = Anti-Football & Anti-Childrens Future

hits home harder than that......thing above!

just my two pence worth.
lewes_intro.thumb.jpg

It's not a slogan that will be on display at the rally ... it's a slogan that is on the flyer that is being distributed to Albion supporters to encourage them to turn up.

There are some seriously good banners and placards being prepared that will get a message across to the Lib Dems that will have them worried.

A big turnout will have the same effect.

And there are one or two things planned that will get national media coverage.

Be there. Be part of it. Bring your friends and families.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
oh dont worry I'll be there! Just wondered about the slogan thats all :)

Must get my pots 'n paints out and get writing!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Don't worry Marc, you weren't exactly alone in your sentiments - at least Lord B has now allayed all these fears!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Beach Hut said:

See what our fixture is.

Seems my lad's club have got it sorted:

Sunday 17th September
Currently No Game

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports