Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

please enlighten me re; ryan harley

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Unfortunately Gus doesn't admit if he has made a mistake, so Harley will keep playing and Paynter will be signed. Remember how long it took to finally concede Holroyd wasn't good enough? Talk about refs not admitting their mistakes.

Or it could be that unlike a lot of our fans Gus has the patience to give players a chance to prove themselves?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
He is settling into a new squad that play very different from how he is used too. He has been out injured as well. I think he should be given more of a chance. I for one would prefer to back our players, rather than dissing them all the time. I am not saying Harley hasn't had poor games, he has. But then so have all the others too.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I will defend Harley. When he signed he was not presented to fans as "the answer" to any creative issue arising from the loss of Bennett. He was simply signed, according to Gus, as a decent player who could do a decent job for us. Which in my opinion, he does. If people perceive him to be the creator in the midfield then I would question exactly what they expect him to create, given that CMS is the only target up front at the moment, often covered by 2 defenders. Harley's other options therefore are to play the simple ball to Noone, Lua Lua or Buckley, for them to do their "bit". More often than not this season that has been limited to one of those three, so if we're talking about Harley being the one with vision, I would suggest he's done as well as anyone else in finding those team mates people expect him to find. He's not in the team to be Bridcutt mark II. In a good, confident side, when we're in control, he looks flairy and good. In a team with minimal outlets, under pressure from quicker, faster players, he can look slightly off the pace and lackaday. But in my opinion, no more (overall) than any other of the front 10-12 players who have represented us this season. His pen against Millwall was a bit manky though.

I agree with the majority of what you have said here, I think where the Harley haters come from is his lack of effort and his unwillingness to go in for a tackle. He can move the ball about quite well at times, but when faced with a 50/50 ball he pulls out almost every single time. This is frustrating to fans.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Ive watched him home and away and he has no pace, his tackling is woeful and he doesnt track back either, his passing is Ok at times but he doesnt get forward in support of our front men, which he has to do as Bridcutt is the anchor man.= Not A Team Player

CMS may have missed two sitters against Reading but his tracking back and willingness to hassle defenders more than made up for them misses.= Team Player

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
As yet ive not seen anything (apart from 1 free kick) to see why he is rated but i hope to be proved wrong..

This big time and soon! So far he has looked slow and uncommitted and has an aura of someone who thinks he is a lot better than he actually is. What summmed it up for me so far was an incident at Reading when a bouncing ball broke on the edge of their box. It was 60/40 our ball but he was just way to slow and the eager Reading player made it his ball and when he broke upfield their was no immediate response from Harley.

Ultimately we desperately need a creative midfield player with some speed of foot but crucially a speed of thought to perhaps play CMS in and put the ball out to the wings. At present we have Bridcutt doing a great job as the engine room winning balls and breaking up opposition attacks. However, creatively he lacks a bit and Navarro and Sparrow are just 'steady eddies' who only really might be useful if you get ahead and want to keep possesion and perhaps close a game down.

Bring back Jefferey Thompson Minton!:D

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
He is settling into a new squad that play very different from how he is used too. He has been out injured as well. I think he should be given more of a chance. I for one would prefer to back our players, rather than dissing them all the time. I am not saying Harley hasn't had poor games, he has. But then so have all the others too.

Poor games, you are right SS, all players have them. El-Abd had a poor one Monday, difference is he has earnt the right and as such is not receiving any dissing. Why even our very own captain marvel GG, was outjumped nearly all game by Church & Le Fondre but he showed commitment, professionalism throughout that game and every other one he has played in.

I can forgive a misplaced pass here and there and a bad game but I cannot stick up for any player who pulls out of challenges (Harley min 3 on Monday) doesnt even jump for a header (Harley min 2 on Monday) and generally loafs about without any passion for winning.

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
We should remember he is our top scoring midfielder this season. Played well in first half at Reading but lost his way a bit in the second IMO when pressure was on to move forward more quickly. Would like to see him playing with a strong mobile midfielder alongside Bridcutt. He has played relatively few games this season but like some other players needs more time in a settled team. Has potential to be a very creative player for us me thinks.

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
As a neutral I've found him to be quite a decent player when I have seen him for you, albeit generally against poor opposition. I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as some are making out but likewise I can understand the concern about him being a first team choice because he's not quite there yet and a more consistent performer who gets a bit more stuck in at this level would certainly improve the side.

He's just a player that needs time, and a bit of support. Sometimes he doesn't seem too sure what his role should be to me. I can understand the frustration but I think until you bring in someone new who can improve the team it is worth being patient with him. I certainly don't think bringing in another untested young midfielder serves any purpose.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The fact that he's our top scoring midfielder is more a recognition I believe that we have no one else ... 2 goals halfway through the season is hardly world beating. He's played 15 games ... that's not really relatively few I don't believe.

I hope he comes good but can't see how. When I look at the other teams we've played against (win or lose) one thing they had in common was an engine room/bossing CM fielder and I genuinely believe that's what we're missing more than anything ... I'm not for dissing players at all and it's not Harley per se just that we are so missing the sort that can turn games and make things happen

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He has never played in the championship before, played 10 games or so with his new team-mates and everyone expects him to run the midfield away at last season's play-off runners-up.

Time, these players need time ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here