Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs: Poyet; 'We can do it'

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Gus Poyet has admitted he may have underestimated Albion's playoff chances.

Poyet: "Until the beginning of January we didn't have enough consistency to be proper contenders for the play offs or going up

If we look at the last two months I've got a problem, I'm not going to lie. We have been ten times better, so it all depends what we do from now until the end.

If we can maintain a consistency - I don't mean not losing but being a proper team - then who knows?

You can win or lose. The other day at Hull we were not the better team but got a point. Against Ipswich we took our chances and if it goes like that who knows? But it's not our aim.

I know everyone wants to go to the Premier League tomorrow. I want to go as well but we cannot put that pressure on the players because that's not fair when most of them have not been in this situation in their lives. It is the first time and they are doing quite well"

Argus..

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
That is the best response Ive heard.... you never know but we are not putting the pressure on the players to achieve it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
A great respone from Gus to the play off question, yes he'd like to make but its not going to be the end of the world if we don't. One thing is for certain its going to be one hell of an exciting end to the season if we can keep the consitency Gus wants as a team.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He is bang on. Obviously it'd be nice to sneak into the play offs but we have only been in this division for a year with players who I'm sure Gus acknowledges aren't good enough.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
After a certain game a couple of months ago where Southampton were tonked 3-0 by another south coast club and had their talismanic and prolific goal machine sent off for putting his hand in the face of a fine upstanding Egyptian defender, the headline in the Southampton evening Echo (I don't usually buy it, but I had to on that day just to see what drivelling excuses they came up with) was a quote from Mr Adkins "We will still win this league".

How much more sensible, less arrogant, more realistic and just plain decent is the attitude of our own dear manager.

This is not meant as a dig at Saints, because I hope they do go up. And I am sure there are other managers I could have chosen to make the comparison. If Gus said "We will win this league", I think I would see it more like Sir Alf Ramsey in 1966, when he quietly and unemotionally said "We will win the World Cup", and then went on and did it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good stuff. It takes all the pressure off the players. If they just keep doing what they've been doing, then there's every chance it'll be good enough for them to achieve top 6 this season, which would be remarkable.

The likes of Leeds, Southampton, Wet Sham, Leicester etc are burdened with the weight of expectation and the pressure that goes with it. If the likes of them don't make top 2 or Playoffs as a minimum, then that will be seen as an abject failure on their part. WE however can just enjoy the ride and take the Playoffs as a rather splendid bonus if we make it.

This season has already been fantastic whatever happens. In fact I think its already my favouritist EVER since I've been going in 87.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well done Gus... much better... and corrects his earlier quotes after Liverpool game...

As for Twatkins, I genuinely hope his arrogance proves unfounded...

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Playoff's............ Yes would be a good finish to a good season.

Promotion ............No thanks, we are not ready. I'd rather have another good season or two in the Championshp than be the wipping boys in the Prem !

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It's a great position for us to be in.
No big deal if we don't make it but fantastic bonus if we do. The only pressure is by the players themselves, none by the fans or management.
We're still enjoying this season too much.
It's teams like Wetsham & Leicester with the money they've spent on players, that have all the pressure. If they don't go up their fans will really be pissed off.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Promotion ............No thanks, we are not ready. I'd rather have another good season or two in the Championshp than be the wipping boys in the Prem !

So you are assuming we wouldn't strengthen?

You have to grab the chance if you get it...

I can see you there, at Wembley in the play-off final cheering on the other side...

NOT!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

To be fair, I don't think a Gus team would be "whipping boys" in any league. We may have lost to Liverpool, but I cannot help but think that Gus did not care too much about it, and if we were to go up and lose to the top 4 or 5, but get results against the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland, I would settle for that!

I think Gus is playing it cagey. The loan players he has brought into the team over the last few weeks are not here to make up numbers - we can be sure he is going all-out for the playoffs!

Happy days!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
a quote from Mr Adkins "We will still win this league".

If Gus said "We will win this league", I think I would see it more like Sir Alf Ramsey in 1966, when he quietly and unemotionally said "We will win the World Cup", and then went on and did it.
But although Adkins is an arse, it is possible they'll win. We obviously won't.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we did go up, Bloom would give Gus the money needed to stay up. And Gus is a good enough manager to get the most out of the resources Tony is willing to give him, we've seen that from day one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here